So as the title says, I am trying to start a depression support group at the community college I attend. I live in a very rural area and the closest place that would have anything like this is 25-30 miles away. The only problem I have is that I have never done anything like this and I need help. I would like to hear your experiences if you've ever attended a support group, good and bad. I would like for my group to be around 50% educational and 50% venting. Any suggestions or maybe a recommendation on what i can talk about would be highly appreciated. 

I go to one for psychosis and it's really helped me. It's linked in with a charity in my area and they can support people in various ways. It's always be an informal setting, it's primarily been useful just as a place for people to talk. Sometimes you don't need to talk about your problems, just knowing that you can can be enough. But it has been nice sharing stories. We also do things outside the room setting quite often, bowling, abseiling, rockclimbing etc. 

Try getting in contact with a charity in your area for support and to get a pipeline of new people coming.