Increased depression on Wellbutrin 300 mg

Hi, I've noticed a number of posts about people taking bupriopin (generic Wellbutrin) 450XL, but I still have some other questions... 
I started taking Wellbutrin 150 mg about a month ago, and last week (?) and about 10 days ago my dose was increased to 300 mg. Obviously the higher dose is still building in my system... I'm taking it for bipolar II depression. I also take 425 mg of lamotrigine, and 2 mg of clonazepam (they're both split in the morning and at bedtime). Also zopiclone 15 mg when my anxiety is out of control; I very rarely take it as a last resort (I know all about its addictive potential).  

I've noticed a few changes since starting to take it. Mainly, I'm actually more depressed. My doctor wanted to titrate the dose fairly slowly to prevent inducing a manic episode. I felt a little bit better after about 2 weeks, but it's plateaued. Since I started to take bupropion, I've felt just... down. I'm basically going through all the typical symptoms of depression. At work I am turned way up; I don't stop finding stuff to do, and try to get ahead in paperwork, do my reports, etc. But on my break, I find myself feeling down again. I work out sometimes, but often I just get coffee and smoke, and sit in my car to avoid talking to coworkers. I have a pretty high-stress job (law enforcement), and when I come home after day shifts especially, I am so exhausted I can barely move. I love my job which is why I'm so switched on there. I know that can be a contributing factor, especially when work-life balance is way out of whack (I'm going to work on that). 
But nothing has improved since starting bupropion. I have less cravings for cigarettes (which is great! I'm hoping to quit by winter), and my appetite has noticeably decreased (not a great side effect for someone with a history of anorexia, because obviously I love it). I've taken nearly every antidepressant under the sun, and so many have side effects I absolutely hated, e.g. decreased sex drive, weight gain, etc. 

How long has it taken bupropion patients to notice effects on 300 mg, or did some not notice any? And is the increased depression common? I'd rather hear it from real people than just taking the word of my psychiatrist's pamphlets. Please, any responses would help. 

6 hours ago, notloki said:

You have not given it enough time to equate anything to the cause of your depression. 6-8 weeks after you are on a stable dose.

You're right, it's only been a short time. But I've never experienced depression getting worse when I've started antidepressants in the past. Of course, I was on different med cocktails then... Thank you!

Btw, do you take generic bupropion or the brand name? I've heard there is sometimes a discrepancy in effectiveness.

When I started at 150 on Bupropion I found it had significant ups and downs during the startup period. For my, the two largest side effects during that time were frequent crying spells and more disrupted sleep. That leveled out after about 6 weeks. I only increased to 300mg a few days ago so I don't have much of an impression of that dose yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 4:20 PM, crazy_cat_lady said:

Btw, do you take generic bupropion or the brand name? I've heard there is sometimes a discrepancy in effectiveness.

I have taken both brand and generic bupropion. There was a problem with *some* makers of the extended release had product that did not match the  bioavailability of the brand. That was several years ago. The makers of generic time release bupropion today seem to have worked out their time release formulation problems. Now I find brand and generic to be the same.

I highly recommend the Aplenzin brand. It's bupropion hydrobromide instead of bupropion hydrochloride. In the end it might not be a world of difference but I felt that Aplenzin was smoother and made me feel less jittery than the generic bupropion did.