CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
straightjacket

Can you have SZA and mixed states at the same time?

So I am diagnosed Schizoaffective, Bipolar type, In my hospital report they wrote ''Presentation continued to fluctuate on the unit and he exhibited mixed affective state'' I would like to know how does exhibition mixed affective state? I was totally oblivious to it so reading that in my report was new. Do you think its likely that my clinical team could of made a mistake? Is it possible to be misdiagnosed with SZA even if I've been Dx with it for 4 years and seen many psychiatrists?

hi,

i'm diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic so this isn't something i've personally experienced. i'm  posting to say that SZA can definitely include mixed states. just like it can include other bioplar states...depression, mania, whatever else there is. a dear friend of mine had a lot of mixed states the last couple of years and he was diagnosed SZA, bp subtype.

i don't think it means your treatment team has made an error and misdiagnosed you.

if you're really/also asking what a mixed state is or how it's identified, i'm sure others in this section who've had them will be along to answer that question for you better than i could.

sorry you're suffering and hope you're doing better soon.

xx -melli

PS: soz...i forgot the other main reason i was posting. you said you were oblivious to it. you can lack insight to all sorts of things...i have a lot of experience with that. so my understanding is that apart from schizophrenia, those with bipolar also can have a lack of insight. it seems reasonable to me that 1. you were showing signs of being mixed and 2. were oblivious to it, but 3. your diagnosis has not changed/is in line with all of that. xx

Edited by mellifluous
  • Like 1

Yes I suffer from mixed states when I am unwell and I am schizoaffective bipolar type. You can read about mixed states here, I'm sorry, I'm just too exhausted to type out what I factually know about them myself. For me it feels like I want to jump off a building, but laugh hysterically about it all the way there.