Things to do, but zero motivation

I have had depression for years. I don't usually feel like I cant do anything. I can usually still push myself to do what I need to do. I just hit the proverbial wall. I have school work piling up, and I just don't care. I looked at it and just pushed it away. I know I cannot do this. I NEED to do well. I NEED to do this work and pass classes. I just cannot make myself think about this work. It is the worst. I am not sure there is a way to fix this at the moment. I just want to sit in the shower and let the hot water pour over me. And WHY? I don't really have a good reason to feel this way. I just do. I'm sure many of you can relate. I just needed to know I am not just lazy. I feel like I am. I just can't make myself do stuff. 

Are you taking any meds? Or getting therapy?

The only thing that touched my apathy and lack of motivation is Abiify. Abilify keeps me motivated although sometimes I still struggle. But I'm much better off with Abilify. If I go off Abilify for any reason, I become a slug that doesn't want to do anything.

I will say that citalopram and escitalopram increased my apathy and lack of motivation.

I am on Cymbalta, though a lower dose than what I probably SHOULD be taking.  I told my doctor it makes my memory HORRIBLE AND I am a zombie. I cannot take the higher doses for that reason, but I am still very much dealing with a lot of depression. Maybe I should ask about an add-on. I'm overwhelmed at school and I am just shutting down.

23 hours ago, Montague said:

I'm sure many of you can relate. I just needed to know I am not just lazy. I feel like I am. I just can't make myself do stuff. 

yep, sure can relate.  When I have moments of health, everything becomes so easy.  I'm not joking.  Really odious stuff becomes a breeze.  So in other words no, you're not lazy, you've just got depression that makes stuff seem impossibly difficult.

1 hour ago, sming said:

yep, sure can relate.  When I have moments of health, everything becomes so easy.  I'm not joking.  Really odious stuff becomes a breeze.  So in other words no, you're not lazy, you've just got depression that makes stuff seem impossibly difficult.

When I was between episodes I would describe it the same way. Everything was easier.

Montague, I don't think it's laziness if you want to do something but for some reason can't. I think (at least where I am in North America) people overuse the word 'lazy'. Trying hard is important, but you are already doing that, and there are so many other factors in life.