Thanks a whole fucking lot, anti-vaxxers

Pissed as shit. Got notification that my teens were exposed to whooping cough. Now need to call tomorrow about boosters. My son is already having chest congestion, this would just be icing on the cake. 

Interesting story about a woman whose 7 kids contracted whooping cough after she refused to vaccinate. "Oh whoops, I guess I was wrong". 

Goddamnit, vaccinate your kids!

Edited by Rabbit37
  • Like 3

I think kids should be barred from school if they are not immunized. Sorry but your 3 kids who you chose to not vaccinate have no right to endanger 100's 1-000's students every day.

If you want to pass around your fake news and scare tactics posts, do it on your own time. The public listens to scientists not lawyers and we do not use pseudoscience to make major choices with you kids that affects everybody (the hurd)

• Like 5

On 9/20/2017 at 5:36 AM, notloki said:

I think kids should be barred from school if they are not immunized.

In Ontario, they would literally kick you out of school until you got the vaccine. (I wasn't due for a vaccine for a couple months, and they did just that)

And I think that's an excellent policy.

Thank you, jt, although I want to beat my iPad against the wall in frustration. 

We've lived in several cities throughout our kids' lives, The pediatricians they've had have always, always worked out the schedules so they didn't get 4 shots at a time. I might've had to take them in more often to make sure everything was timely, wasn't exactly a problem. 

The excuse of "look how tiny my daughter is" doesn't fly either. All three of my kids have always been around the 5th percentile for weight, that is simply not valid. 

And on a personal note before we were married, my husband's 1 yo nephew contracted meningitis. This was probably 35 years ago, don't know if he hadn't received the dose yet, or why he contracted it, but at one point they had to call in a priest for last rites. That should never be something a parent should have to do. This school year they required an additional meningitis booster for my senior, if they still hadn't gotten it after the first week of school, they were sent home til they complied. Problem is, unlike California, it's legal here to sign a statement that you're refusing due to ethical or religious reasons. 

Maybe some of these diehard anti-vaxxers need to visit a third world country or two. Or better yet, move there. 

• Like 1

It might be excusable if this were just ignorance. Ignorance is one thing. But willful ignorance is something else altogether and is inexcusable. These anti-vaxers are willfully ignorant because they refuse to look at or accept medical research and facts and prefer to believe in fairy tales.

I was always pro-vaccine but now that I'm on an immunosuppressant drug, I'm even more pro-vaccine. I think a lot of people have truly romanticized the good old days and think that Good Old Days + Good Hygiene is all we need to fix everything wrong with our society. I hope your children don't have whooping cough; that is one scary bug.

I was vaccinated and still got whooping cough, because a whole cohort (myself included) got a bad batch of vaccine as it hadn't been refrigerated properly. It was awful. Anyone who doesn't take vaccination seriously should be forced to do a year's worth of volunteer work with polio survivors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearhead said:

Is there something pernicious about Pertussis? I've been vaccinated, and I've had it, too. 

It kills, 20 Americans in 2012. It can be hard on babies who can have seizures, stop breathing, develop pneumonia, or suffer brain damage.