Can psychosis be the brains way of healing your psyche?

What if psychotic illnesses like schizophrenia were just the brains way of trying to solve lifes problems by creating fantasies and experiences that while not actually real help the person understand his life better and express feelings and emotions that can't be expressed otherwise. To have experiences that you could never have otherwise. I know psychosis isn't like this always, the first 2 psychotic breaks I had were just flat out miserable mainly because they were accompanied by severe depression. This last one I had though was more of a grandiose one where I had all kinds of power and also there were parts of the psychosis that helped resolve unresolved issues of my life. I remember for instance one day when I was psychotic I asked a celeb in my mind how he dealt with past child abuse and he said ya know you just learn acceptance. Those sort of moments sort of helped me gain peace and what I think was the major reason I have been finally symptom free for over a year now.

It seemed through the delusions I was able to heal my psyche and all the past wounds of my life and gain peace about them and nothing seems to bother me anymore. I am more calm and don't worry much if at all. Before this experience I was a worry wart, always going to the ER at the slightest sign of a problem. I used to go so much when I walked into one emergency clinic I could hear some guy say oh here he comes again lol. Either way perhaps psychosis isn't all bad and while we should do all we can to manage it and eliminate the symptoms, I also think if we are experiencing symptoms and can't immediately stop them, maybe we would do well to observe the nature of the content of the delusions or hallucinations and try to ask ourselves what is its implication for my life. I do think the type of thought content you have during psychosis is telling and can help you recover if you can stop fighting the voices, the delusions and gain acceptance that you have these symptoms that you do feel fear and through acceptance gain peace that you can't have if you are always worried about your sanity or fighting the voices in your head.

I believe there's a balance that can be attained in most mental illnesses, but not from somebody trying to listen to disembodied voices because most of them are exceedingly cruel & obviously negative. Should my husband listen to the voices that tell him that our apartment is bugged & there's a live feed or videos out in the internet? Or maybe he ought to open up to the voice that tells him people think he's transgender or pregnant? Hmm... There's also the voice that told him to jump into the East River in NYC, do you think that voice holds any answers for him? That it's helpful?Yes, there's a pathology to be taken into account more often than most pdocs will admit. Tdocs are obviously more open to that line of thinking. Pdocs know it's easier (for them) to over medicate and blame it on  genetics (which do play a large part but not the only one. What notloki said is true, the MRI speaks for itself. I am not a big fan of psychotropics. That said, I've been on & off many SSRI's & SNRI's, Concerta, Strattera, Adderall, Depakote, and Abilify, which I didn't take.  Currently on 300mgs Wellbutrin and 4mgs Clonazapam. I need a pdoc but I am a bit phobic about them, with too many bad experiences to validate my fears. My husband is in Gracie Square Psychiatric Hospital, 3 hospitalizations in as many years. Delusions that he can't shake, voices, alcohol abuse to self medicate (didn't work lol), and becomes, of course, erratic & volatile. I live with somebody who's playing to a non existent audience... It's impossible to navigate. They're focused on our apartment & people in the building, which is a slumlord's dream. Trying to move but it ain't happening by the time he's released. Anyway, sorry for going so off topic. I'm pretty isolated lol. JustGotOut, I wish you luck. I suggest that you find a good tdoc to discuss your theories with. I'm a layperson with life experience, but not with your life, so no judgements here. It's all a voyage, a journey. If you can find something positive in your hallucinations, that's a good thing. A tdoc can get deeper, and it's nice to have an impartial person to talk to. 

Pdoc's are medical doctors. Their tool is meds, they are trained in medication and the medical treatment of mental illness. Don't knock them when they hand out meds, that is what they do. Why did you go to them in the first place if you did not want to be on meds. It is like criticizing a surgeon for offering surgery. If you don't want to be cut, as that is what a surgeon is trained to do, do see them. Or a car salesman selling you a car.

• Like 1

I don't think psychosis is generally "healing". But there are certainly benefits to psychosis sometimes. There are often insights to be gained from psychosis, particularly if you've got someone around to translate for you. A really good psychotherapist can make sense of the fucked up ramblings of a madman and turn that nonsense into something worthwhile. The content of psychosis is often overlooked, but it can be so telling of our insides and subconscious.

Or if you happen to be one of those who can experience psychotic symptoms without loss of insight, you might be able to interpret for yourself. I used to see myself doing things a lot--like a mirror version of me would be doing the dishes in the kitchen. I realized after a few instances that my mind was pretty much putting on display for me the things I was ignoring in my life. I didn't consciously realize how much my inaction bothered me until I started seeing myself act.

• 1 month later...

It kind of makes sense, remembering that alot of mental "disorders" were originally put in place as a coping mechanism. I have had physcosis that (I) thought may have been helpful, e.I "understanding" a difficult situation, in which I know no-one else to have a (full) understanding of. And the music/TV actually did help me through alot of. 

It could maybe even be , a drasastic montage of thoughts/ feelings/ emotions that weren't "allowed" to process fully and /or right away. Though I usually feel upset / embarrassed after an episode, there is also a kind of sense of relief following..

5 minutes ago, Swamp56 said:

What do you mean by put in place?

5 minutes ago, Swamp56 said:

What do you mean by put in place?

I mean developmentally, some "disorders" originally came about as the brains way to form/adapt to our surroundings, and or to bypass/ deal better with unnessary hardship