My insurance changed and even with all the discount cards and refunds medication is no longer an option. Currently prescribed 20 mg trintellix and rexulti. Can't get them refilled so withdrawal must be quick. Anyone have any suggestions to ease what may lie ahead?

If your insurer truly won't cover them at all under any circumstances, even with a prior auth, then I suggest looking into manufacturer programs for patient assistance ASAP. These usually have caps on income for eligibility (for example, household income must be no more than 4 times the Federal Poverty Level for Takeda's program), and your pdoc will have to complete some forms, but they will provide the medication to you for free if you meet the criteria. In the meantime, your pdoc may be able to give you enough samples to cover the gap while the application for the patient assistance programs are processed.

Edited by JustNuts

My insurance has quadrupled the cost of my meds. I went to get them and it was $1,500 total for both. The problem is I've been on meds since 1997 and has run the course of every affordable option. The oldies but goodies don't work anymore. I counted this morning and I've got about a month left if I cut them in half. And even though I'm retired and my spouse is on Medicare we still make just above the limit for assistance per household. Sucks, I know, but that's life. Today I begin a new journey. Oh, and one other detail. Because of our current healthcare system my psych no longer takes my insurance. I have to pay $100 cash each visit and I only get $22.94 back when I submit it to claims. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have $100 cash lying around! :)

I got Abilify at no cost for several years from their patient assistance program until the program was discontinued when Abilify went generic. I'm sure the manufacturer of Rexulti and Trintellix have similar programs. There is an income cap, but it is pretty high.

• 1 month later...

My husband is taking a new-ish anti-seizure med (Briviact) that is really expensive (exactly because it's a new-ish anti-seizure med). He was in the FDA trials for the meds, and got them for free while he was in the study. But after it went onto the market, he used a patient assistance plan, and for half the year he was receiving it, he was making a good living, definitely more than 4 times the poverty level. They sent it anyway. He paid for it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and even with his insurance, which is probably pretty good, the copay was over $40.

Does your pdoc have any samples of Rexulti? Usually drug reps give samples of newer meds so patients can try them out without having to get an Rx. I was able to go almost 2 months without actually needing to fill a prescription when trialing Fanapt.