Did anyone else do the 23andMe thing?

For those of you that don't know, 23andMe is doing a study on depression and bipolar and is handing out free testing kits to participants in the study. I just got my results back a few days ago, and ran the raw data through a genome processing site called Promethease, which allows you to view all your genetic health risks and such in a nice organized view. Anyway, I came across the category for genetic markers correlated with causing bipolar disorder and noticed quite a few on my genome. That image was just the first few markers. There were at least three or four more stating I was at an increased risk. 

What I found even more interesting is that I had only a couple markers for ADHD and autism respectively. I was convinced nothing for bipolar or schizophrenia would show up, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2017 at 6:43 PM, friedcerebrum said:

For those of you that don't know, 23andMe is doing a study on depression and bipolar and is handing out free testing kits to participants in the study. I just got my results back a few days ago, and ran the raw data through a genome processing site called Promethease, which allows you to view all your genetic health risks and such in a nice organized view. Anyway, I came across the category for genetic markers correlated with causing bipolar disorder and noticed quite a few on my genome. That image was just the first few markers. There were at least three or four more stating I was at an increased risk. 

What I found even more interesting is that I had only a couple markers for ADHD and autism respectively. I was convinced nothing for bipolar or schizophrenia would show up, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. 

How do you access the free testing? I don't see anything on their site about depression studies or getting a free kit....

I've wanted to do it for awhile, but they now charge $200 for the testing that includes the genetic health-related reports. I don't care about my general ancestry.

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up for this.  I just got notice they have my results now.  I need to find my password again to go look at it.  Thanks for reminding me!'

Edited to add, I just looked at them, and none of the 17 reports the sent me have anything to do with mental health.  I did learn I'm likely to drink more coffee than the usual person, and I am more likely to be a deep sleeper.  The sleep thing is interesting, because I wake often during the night, but can sleep through all of my alarms in the morning.  This directly affects coffee consumption once I get out of bed.  

Anyway, interesting, but not what I was looking for out of this. Maybe there are more results coming.

Edited by Odetta
  • Like 1