CrazyBoards.org

xanax xr vs klonopin

i switched b/c klonopin makes me weepy.

the tricky think with xanax xr is dosing b/c it's based on how many mgs of xanax you'd take over the course of how long the xr works.  but as it lasts different lengths for different people...

YMMV... your milage may vary

i'm happy with the xanax xr, but i had to switch.

only switch if you need to etc.

for me, hands down, valium (or klonopin as a second resort) is better.

xanax xr worked 18 hours the first day and kept pooping out sooner and more abruptly. when it only worked for 12 hours i switched.

but some people love it, ymmv, etc. good luck and aloha.

I talked to the new pdoc today about switching to xanax xr over klonopin, he said "maybe" but it isn't always better because it doesn't last for some people.

anyone have experience with both?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I took xanax and now take klonopin. Xanax is real powerful and awesome on anxiety.  The best for anxiety, it acts quickly and is short acting.  Yet its very addictive. I prefer my klonopin cause its longer acting and is smoother.  I use 0.5mg as needed. and it works well on anxiety too.

PBF

I talked to the new pdoc today about switching to xanax xr over klonopin, he said "maybe" but it isn't always better because it doesn't last for some people.

anyone have experience with both?

Yeah, I took xanax and now take klonopin. Xanax is real powerful and awesome on anxiety.  The best for anxiety, it acts quickly and is short acting.  Yet its very addictive. I prefer my klonopin cause its longer acting and is smoother.  I use 0.5mg as needed. and it works well on anxiety too.

PBF

just to clarify in case someone needs clarification (on the off chance)

xanax xr is new(ish.) it is extended release xanax.  lasts 12+ hours depending upon the person.  some doctors (like mine) think it has a lower addiction profile than regular xanax because, as it is longer acting, you do not have to go through the up and downs of feeling the med run out and needing to take another pill.  you don't get into the "pill popping" habit.  however, it still has the same chemical profile as xanax, which some people find more "pleasant" than klonopin, which is another reason why xanax is considered to be very addictive.  i personally can't take klonopin because it makes me weepy, and i do not really get the pleasant buzz from xanax that a lot of people do.

all of this is YMMV stuff.

but i just wanted to clarify that xanax xr is different from old fashioned xanax, and that the longer acting aspect of the xr really does, in fact, make it different from regular xanax in terms of how you use it, and how effective it is.  (once daily dosing with a steady level of the med in your system is nicer than the up and down of non xr if you are looking for an anxiety med that will cover your for a full day.)

• 4 years later...

I have been taking klonopin for anxiety for years. It has helped me alot but my pdoctor told me they wanted to slowly take me off of it because it is also very addictive. When I take my klonopin it don't calm my panic attacks down like it use to but I think it is because I have been on it for so long.

I have been taking klonopin for anxiety for years. It has helped me alot but my pdoctor told me they wanted to slowly take me off of it because it is also very addictive. When I take my klonopin it don't calm my panic attacks down like it use to but I think it is because I have been on it for so long.

• 2 months later...

Archived