My pdoc dc'd lithium and rexulti because I was gaining a lot of weight. They decided to try me on Lamictal. I had heard that the side effects were less on Lamictal and there was less trouble with weight gain. This is my 3rd day taking the 25mg. Next week I will take 50 mg, and the week after that I will take 100mg.

I feel zoned out. Like a zombie. Brain fog. While my body may feel awake my head and eyes do not. Will this pass over time? I feel like it completely overpowers my Nuvigil even. Will pretty much any mood stabilizer suck in one way or another? lol

I do feel calmer for the moment, but I'm wondering if it is even worth feeling like this. It is just blah.

The first few weeks, Lamictal made me super tired for an hour or two after taking it. My pdoc has me split my dose between morning and evening, and every step up until my morning dose was 100 mg, it would make me feel sleepy right after taking it. This did wear off, and furthermore, when we upped my morning dose from 100 mg to 150 mg recently (in response to some increased symptoms after about 6 months of stability and consistent doses), it didn't seem to have this effect. So I'd say, wait it out for a while and see if it goes away. The only noticeable side effect I have now is some mild aphasia (word finding), but not to the point where it seriously interferes with my life, even while working in the educational field.

Strange. Usually, Lamictal is neither activating nor sedating for the majority of people. The only reason I remain on this med is because it has the least amount of side effects (compared to the 30+ other drugs I've tried). I felt waaaaay more zombie-like/drugged on SSRI's and A/Ps...like I could feel absolutely no emotions whatsoever.

That being said, Lamictal has a wierd titration for most people, it really takes a long time for your body to adjust and get to a stable level. I felt sort of "fluffy headed" for several weeks, like in a bit of a brain fog but that went away. I started noticing positive effects at 75mg and pretty content staying at 100mg for the moment, but some people need between the 100mg-200mg range.