anyone tried abilify + wellbutrin together

I'm not a doctor, but in my experience, this would not be a recommended combination for someone suffering from anxiety. I got anxiety when I was on Wellbutrin. I got extreme anxiety when I was on low doses of Abilify.

I take abilify and wellbutrin along with other meds. The wellbutrin helps my depression, but like jt said it is activating. I have a lot of fatigue and the wellbutrin does not upset my anxiety. But, i take lexapro for anxiety. 

An ssri with abilify (small dose) might be a better choice. For me, ablify is not activating, but it can be.

Mix in some Cymbalta and it works for me. Helps keep me awake and the fatigue at bay with Provigil.

For social anxiety I try to get the Provigil early in the morning (~6am) and the rest around 8am. I don't really want to deal with the anxiety of jitters after I first take the Provigil.

End result is that I'm awake and typing here right now. *shrug*

• 4 months later...

Ability and Wellbutrin sound like a party, honestly. And yeah, I'm being a little sarcastic. What I mean to say is that they're both activating (at least, Ability was for me as well as Wellbutrin) and Ability made me kinda high when I started using it. I hear it's not uncommon. 

Might not be the best choice for someone suffering from anxiety. 

edit:// crap, just saw how old this thread is.

Edited by saoirse

I do. We added it on when my mother died. There is not a lot to  tell. I do not notice it at all. Weight has not changed nor appetite.

Abilify does have a downside. It has a 20% chance of you having an EPS

reaction. 20 % do. EPS refers to a part of the brain. That's the EP part. And S for syndrome. EPS is reversable and includes Akathisia,, in general you are going to see parkinson like symptoms but you DO NOT have parkinson's. There are a number of treatments for EPS, most successful to some degree. I take a heart med for my tremor, caused by Abilify, that totally goes away when treated.

EPS is reversible, stop the med, wait a bit for the med to clear and the side effect that bothers you goes away. Keep in mind a 20$ incidence of something means an 80% chance of not happening.

I did not get any results until 10 mg. 

I've definitely seen people have some pretty robust results from the combination of bupropion especially with the dopamine partial agonists. Mostly aripiprazole, but I imagine you could get similar effects with brexpiprazole and cariprazine. It's especially useful for those that struggle with anhedonia that doesn't respond to anything else. the dopamine partial agonists have some blocking and some activating effects. One of the most important targets would be the D2S receptor which are pre-synaptic D2 receptors. When dopamine levels are low, it will have more activating effects there and further reduce the dopamine pump. Activation at post-synaptic (D2L) receptors compensates for this.

Theoretically then, if you increase dopamine levels, the dopamine partial agonists will act more as blockers and blocking the pre-synaptic dopamine receptors will increase dopamine release. Blockade of post-synaptic receptors to compensate. This means that a change in bupropion dose when taken with a dopamine partial agonist would theoretically have a much more profound effect than if you were taking bupropion by itself. The only problem is that both aripiprazole and bupropion can be very agitating medications if they aren't tuned just right because of how activating they are overall. So perhaps a combo of bupropion+brexpiprazole would be a safer place to start.