CrazyBoards.org

klonopin vs ativan?

Well I have been on klonopin for a long time too. Varying degrees of it, depending on what is happening in my life. My p-doc and I are currently "stuck" on the dosage she will allow me.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if I could take other meds for GAD, but I can't. I have tried many, and we don't mingle well.

She recently added Ativan for "emergencies". They are not as strong. But they do the trick in a pinch and it's all I am getting for the moment.

I have anxiety attacks, rather than panic attacks. Actually lately I have had both.

The main med I am on that is really helping is "clonidine". It's a blood pressure med that is great for keeping your adrenaline down - the main cause of anxiety/panic attacks.

I do really well on this and don't require as many of the benzos. The reason she added the Ativan is because 1) she won't give me any more klonopin ( I take 1.5 mgs a day) and 2) things have been really outa control for me lately.

If you have problems with attacks, I wouldn't switch to Ativan as it is not as long lasting or as strong. But you might look into Clonidine. It is being given for anxiety now. I really like it.

Breeze

• 2 weeks later...

just because i have been using klon for so long, I want to try something else that is as needed but doesn't make me as tired.

any suggestions?

Diazepam (valium) may be a good choice for you.  Its generally the safest benzo to use long term, especially if only taken as required rather than daily. It has a wide dosage range so you can generally find a point where it relaxes you but doesnt knock you out.  Having said that, some people find diazepam just isnt strong enough, especially compared to klonopin.

Otherwise lorazepam (atvian) is worth discussing with your dr.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I started with Klonopin and it made me very irritable. It also seems to  last for a whole day (which is maybe what  you mean by making you tired?). I switched to Ativan and it agrees with me very well. I can take it at night for sleep and then not take it during the day if not needed or take it when anxious cycles or circumstances come up.

Archived