which of these three would you take for sleep?

since going off clozaril/zyprexa and onto risperdal only i'm having sleep trouble. my psychiatrist gave me the following options:

seroquel

klonopin

trazodone

which of these three would you choose? why? please don't give me a fourth option because i'm unlikely to hit up my psychiatrist for another something. just, of the three...can you even rank them?

i have paranoid schizophrenia and ocd, if that would change your answer.

cheers,

melli xx

also in case it matters, the sleep issues are as follows:

i wake up every hour throughout the night. until last night i wasn't having difficulty falling asleep, just staying asleep. now, as of last night, it's both.

I would try the Seroquel because it's the only one of the three that I haven't tried. I didn't like the way Trazodone made me feel, and Klonopin is an anti-anxiety med that I took during the day so it clearly didn't make me sleep. 

• Like 1

I'm biased because I take Trazodone 200mg for sleep, and it's weight-neutral for me.

I take klonopin also for anxiety, but it does help me some with sleep.

Seroquel would be last on my list because I've tried it, too, and even though it did work for sleep, it also caused me significant weight gain, which I have managed to take off, finally.

So, since I've tried all three (still taking Traz and Klonopin), my personal ranking would be:

Trazodone, Klonopin, Seroquel...

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

I would say seroquel first, as it's typically sedating. A lot of people do complain about hangovers, however... do you have to be up and running first thing in the morning? YMMV

I've taken trazodone up to 150mg, and it did very little. Again, that's me, and I don't find seroquel that sedating either. I seem to be difficult to knock out, lol. But, I've read good things about it, don't recall too many hangover comments.

klonopin did help me relax, and therefore fall asleep, but I couldn't stay asleep on it, when it wore off I had to end up taking another dose in the middle of the night. 

• Like 1

For me,

Seroquel, trazodone, klonopin. Seroquel really works for me. Trazodone was meh I've been on and off of it for years. And klonopin doesn't knock me out I take 3 mg during the day spread out. It does not come close to putting me to sleep. 

There's lunesta also. I take that PRN for sleep. Just an idea. Also ambien, rozerem, etc. For sleep meds.

Also temazepam is a benzo more used for insomnia than klonopin. 

Vistaril I take PRN for panic and that's pretty sedating to me with a high enough dose. It's an antihistamine med. I don't know if it would be enough to help a person sleep though without something like the Seroquel I take. Hmmm but it could be an option. Hmmm

Just some ideas from a girl who has had trouble sleeping in the past. Seroquel has been my solution but I still need the occasional lunesta if I'm wound up or manic. I like having that lunesta as a backup option if I need it. 

Good luck melli! I hope you get some good sleep soon!

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies, everyone :)

i ended up going with seroquel, which i've taken before but not at a super low dose for sleep. it worked wonders last night! i'd forgotten that trazodone worked for me until it didn't anymore for some reason. and i'm afraid of developing a habit on klonopin. 

i was told to take 25 mg with 1 mg ativan and i slept through the night. wonder of wonders! i feel so much better already!

thanks again! xx

• Like 1