CrazyBoards.org

On 10/5/2017 at 2:02 PM, Beth45 said:

The doctor doesn't want to increase the klonopin because it is addictive and causes early onset dementia.  I tried the Thorazine and I didn't like the way it made me feel.  I have tried vistrail and it doesn't work for me.  I even tried 10 mgs of Thorazine to help me sleep and all it did was give me nightmares!  UGH!

Dies Klonopin really cause dementia? 

58 minutes ago, TakeAChillPill said:

Dies Klonopin really cause dementia? 

If this is the study I'm thinking of, I don't think it proved causation. However, maybe there are more recent studies?*

Study: http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205

"Conclusion Benzodiazepine use is associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease. The stronger association observed for long term exposures reinforces the suspicion of a possible direct association, even if benzodiazepine use might also be an early marker of a condition associated with an increased risk of dementia. Unwarranted long term use of these drugs should be considered as a public health concern."

"Whether causal or not, the nature of the link cannot be definitively established: benzodiazepine use might also be an early marker of a condition associated with an increased risk of dementia."

Article talking about the study: "The researchers acknowledge that the use of benzodiazepines could be just a signal that people are trying to cope with anxiety and sleep disruption—two common symptoms of early Alzheimer’s disease. If that’s true, their use of a benzodiazepine may not be a factor in causing dementia but an indication it is already in progress."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benzodiazepine-use-may-raise-risk-alzheimers-disease-201409107397

*http://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i90

"Conclusion The risk of dementia is slightly higher in people with minimal exposure to benzodiazepines but not with the highest level of exposure. These results do not support a causal association between benzodiazepine use and dementia."

*Apparently there are 9 total studies showing a "deleterious effect" but some (but not all) of those studies may have had the reverse causation bias issue...according to this abstract: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40263-015-0305-4

[I only spent about 5 minutes total "researching" & writing this post so please keep that in mind.]

Edited by aquarian
Removed duplicate quote
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, Beth45 said:

The doctor doesn't want to increase the klonopin because it is addictive and causes early onset dementia.  

It is not completely clear that benzos cause dementia, there are studies going either way.

Oh, I see aquarian did a much more thorough job than I.

On 13/10/2017 at 6:08 AM, ByePolarCoordinates said:

Generally, I agree that that sounds ridiculous, but there may be situations where this makes special sense. In my case, I am being prescribed 25 mg Thorazine to be taken early in the morning before ECT treatment. It not only helps with the apprehensive anxiety I experience when getting prepped for the treatments, but I was told by my pdoc that Thorazine can act to lower the seizure threshold - a side effect that can be useful when receiving ECT. Particularly good for those who do not experience a good seizure unless the power used for the treatment is maxed out. It also changes the "shape" of the seizure response on the EEG which appears to be correlated with better therapeutic response. 

Prescribing something like Klonopin in this case would not be feasible because its anti-convulsive properties would prevent a seizure and make ECT poorly effective.  

I'm also being encouraged to use Thorazine for anxiety because I'm doing ECT. I declined and have moved to Serax which is shorter acting than Klonopin and they make sure not to give it to me 12 hours before I have ECT. I ME, AP's just aren't as good for anxiety.

I know I'm late on this thread but I wanted to say that I was on Thorazine for over a year for anxiety (25mg prn) and sleep (150mg/night). The sleepiness on the lower dose resolved after maybe a week. And Thorazine was very effective for my anxiety. I had tried vistaril, propranolol, another one I can't remember the name of but is often suggested, as well as clonazepam which only helped my anxiety because it made me goofy/drunk-like. I did, however, have to go off the Thorazine due to facial twitches that can be a side effect, but those resolved once I was off. I have to say I do miss it. It worked sooo well and I can't find anything that comes close to what it did for my sleep in particular.