Xanax XR

Sorry this is kinda of a duplicate but the second half of my other post seemed more appropriate here and I didn't think of it before. Apologies to meds if this gets moved or combined or whatever. So question is what are your experiences with Xanax XR...dosing, how long does it last, is it strong enough? It's the only common benzo I haven't tried. Right now I'm on 1 mg PRN x3. We also talked about muscle relaxers (which I didn't mention in the other post) like extended release flexaril with PRN Xanax Ir. The Xanax it is definetly doing better than my klonipin, but it only covers the acute symptoms and leaves me anxious in between. Also Xanax 3 times a day I don't wanna get hooked. I don't think my doc will use serax either. Let me know if you have any ideas 

Edited by Iceberg

I am curious too. I just switched from IR to XR because of how long my anxiety has been lasting, and the IR was wearing off... I just didn't want to take more, so I would let it slide and just stay anxious the rest of the day. Pharmacy is supposed to have my script filled this afternoon. Dosing guidelines say to take Xanax XR in the morning, and peak absorption is 9h, although it's relatively steady from 4 to 12 hours, with a half-life of 10.7 to 15.8 hours. I'll try it this weekend and see how it goes.

So I tried it Friday and Sunday, and while it does have some effect, I find it to be more like Klonopin than Xanax IR. I don't see it being very useful in panic attacks, or in sudden bouts of anxiety, more so for a generalized level... which is usually what Klonopin is used for, but with a substantially reduced half-life. It didn't sedate me, or make me hungry, both of which Xanax IR do. I guess if I was dosing IR twice a day, I might try 1-2mg XR in the AM and use IR for breakthrough anxiety if there was any, but everybody is real sensitive about prescribing Xanax these days, so that prolly wouldn't happen.

I'm going to have to give this a longer study, because with the increase in my Rexulti, my anxiety level has tapered off greatly. I only had mild anxiety on those days, and it knocked it right out, with nearly zero side effects, but that's not typical of my anxiety. I was also looking at the side effect profile, which I do find favorable to the IR version. I think this may be another odd use-case scenario drug, that unfortunately tends to get abused.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I ended up dropping the Xanax XR. It just wasn't effective enough at 1mg. I still had breakthrough anxiety and needed IR to help with the breakthrough. Pdoc just adjusted my IR dose upward for 2x day dosing based on what I feel works for me (usually start with 1mg, and re-up with 0.5mg.) I ended up taking the XR pretty much every day to get relief from anxiety; it just couldn't match the efficacy of the IR version. With the IR, I don't feel like I need it every day, and when I do take it, it flat out works.

13 hours ago, notloki said:

I have not encountered very many people who like the XR. It's too bad,  as a good extended release Xanax would be useful.

I was hoping for good things, as the IR version works extremely well for me, but the XR formulation is just not even close to equivocal in efficacy. 

12 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Should be banned??? That's a little Overzealous don't you think? It's a great helpful med and it works for people when other don't. And I have tried Valium and klonipin at there max doses. 

This.

Valium and Klonopin don't work well at all for me, at what my pdoc will prescribe as the typical max dose (20mg and 2mg, respectively.) I was hoping the XR version would work as well as the IR version; alas, it didn't, and some days I have to dose twice a day. I was trying to avoid that, but the XR just isn't as effective. I could've pushed for the 2mg XR, but 2x day IR dosing is more effective at treating my anxiety, so why go down that road?

13 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Should be banned??? That's a little Overzealous don't you think? It's a great helpful med and it works for people when other don't. And I have tried Valium and klonipin at there max doses. 

Probably but I think Xanax should only be prescribed when all other benzos have been tried first. I shouldn’t have made such a black and white statement regarding Xanax.

• 3 months later...

I like the Xanax XR because I believe it is much harder to abuse and take recreationally, but honestly provides the same anxiety relief at the right dosage. You may not feel the punch that instant release Xanax gives you, but I have abused it in the past and would prefer not to again, therefore I am siding with Xanax XR. If I take regular Xanax I get the euphoria and high feeling and just want to keep taking more. For those of you who do have trouble taking more than prescribed Xanax, I think you should seriously consider Xanax XR as an option, and maybe have a script for 5 regular tablets for breakthrough panic attacks.