I am particularly bored tonight because I finished work/chores early.

I need to get through the night without driving to the shop and buying alcohol.  It would be fine if I wasn't so intensely bored.  I even have my favourite TV show on DVD (a new series that I haven't seen), I just watched one episode and even that was boring.

I have been working 60 hour+ weeks and I'm STILL bored after work.  (At least when working it feels constructive and I'm earning money).

I often wonder what people with no jobs do all day.  Aren't they even more intensely bored than me?

Boredom feels like a mental torture, almost like being locked in solitary confinement (well I am on my own) but it is your own mind keeping you there, not allowing you to feel interest or pleasure.  I could go on a round world trip if I wanted, but that would be boring too.

Please post some reply to relieve my boredom and  help me get through the night.  

• Like 1

I don't know anything short-term to help you get through the night except to order pizza, kick back, and enjoy your TV show and/or trying to find a good movie to watch. You could also listen to music or read a book.

In the longer term, have you considered taking up a hobby?

5 hours ago, eee123 said:

Boredom feels like a mental torture, almost like being locked in solitary confinement (well I am on my own) but it is your own mind keeping you there, not allowing you to feel interest or pleasure.  I could go on a round world trip if I wanted, but that would be boring too.

Wow it's like you're echoing this book I am reading, Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron. It's basically his memoir of depression slipping really far down into suicidality before he finally went to the hospital and discovered he had a meds problem. He says:

"Only days before I had concluded that I was suffering from a serious depressive illness, and was floundering helplessly in my efforts to deal with it. I wasn't cheered by the festive occasion that had brought me to France. Of the many dreadful manifestations of the disease, both physical and psychological, a sense of self-hatred -- or, put less categorically, a failure of self-esteem -- is one of the most universally experienced symptoms, and I had suffered more and more from a general feeling of worthlessness as the malady had progressed. My dank joylessness was therefore all the more ironic because I had flown on a rushed four-day trip to Paris in order to accept an award which should have sparklingly restored my ego. [...] By the time we arrived at the museum, having dealt with heavy traffic, it was past four o'clock and my brain had begun to endure its familiar siege: panic and dislocation, and a sense that my thought processes were being engulfed by a toxic and unnameable tide that obliterated any enjoyable response to the living world. This is to say more specifically that instead of pleasure -- certainly instead of the pleasure I should be having in this sumptuous showcase of bright genius -- I was feeling in my mind a sensation close to, but indescribably different from, actual pain."

He goes on to attempt to describe the pain. I love his writing. You might give reading memoirs a try at relieving boredom. It somehow feels like taking action against the feelings, but yet since you're being a voyeur on other people's pain, you're not confronting your own pain as directly. Maybe. I'm experiencing the same thing. The things that used to work for me no longer work and I feel a low-level panic of being stuck with myself and wanting to jump out of my skin... and what Styron calls "infantile dread." Yup.

13 minutes ago, Mogli said:

Of the many dreadful manifestations of the disease, both physical and psychological, a sense of self-hatred -- or, put less categorically, a failure of self-esteem -- is one of the most universally experienced symptoms, and I had suffered more and more from a general feeling of worthlessness as the malady had progressed.

My dank joylessness....and a sense that my thought processes were being engulfed by a toxic and unnameable tide that obliterated any enjoyable response to the living world. This is to say more specifically that instead of pleasure -- certainly instead of the pleasure I should be having in this sumptuous showcase of bright genius -- I was feeling in my mind a sensation close to, but indescribably different from, actual pain."

I can totally relate to this. This is a good memoir...

19 hours ago, jt07 said:

I don't know anything short-term to help you get through the night except to order pizza, kick back, and enjoy your TV show and/or trying to find a good movie to watch. You could also listen to music or read a book.

In the longer term, have you considered taking up a hobby?

I've tried to force myself to take up something like a hobby in the past but it never interested me...  it all seemed pointless and boring.

The point of the hobby is to do what interests you. If you have to force yourself to do something then likely you aren't all that interested in it unless you are suffering from low motivation. If you have low motivation then sometimes you have to force yourself. But I don't think you can force yourself to have an interest.

Furthermore, the point of a hobby is to enrich yourself. It's not just busy work. You are doing something that you like to do that will leave you better off in the future. This could be making art or taking a class at a university or belonging to a book club. There are many other hobbies out there such as wood working, gardening, etc. But you get to decide. It's what interests you.

• Like 1

@eee123 I am in the same boat, however, I actually USED to have interests/hobbies in the past, and well, apparently I haven't fully gone into remission from my depression/low motivation, because I haven't been able to engage in hobbies or find anything interesting for the last 5-6 years. I continue to force myself to try different things, but then eventually, everything just feels like another chore.

Is this what you are experiencing?

On 02/10/2017 at 9:53 PM, Blahblah said:

@eee123 I am in the same boat, however, I actually USED to have interests/hobbies in the past, and well, apparently I haven't fully gone into remission from my depression/low motivation, because I haven't been able to engage in hobbies or find anything interesting for the last 5-6 years. I continue to force myself to try different things, but then eventually, everything just feels like another chore.

Is this what you are experiencing?

Yes, I force myself to do things but everything seems like a chore.  It is just like that.  I wish I could be like normal people and have things I am interested in.

• Like 1

When I was first diagnosed and treated I too was bored a lot. I got disability and didn't have to work and was bored. I also had social anxiety so I didn't leave the house much. But then I finally found the right medication combo so that in part helped me to get off my ass and get involved. For the last two years, I have been studying Chinese and it is a hard language and since there is no way I'll ever become fully fluent, it will always take up my time and I feel so exhausted after studying that I forget about my emotions. I also do dog training, which once again requires concentration and time. You need to commit yourself to something that requires a lot of work but which is fun to you. 

14 hours ago, jt07 said:

@eee123 what meds are you taking? Some meds can cause apathy. If it is not the meds, it could be a sign of depression.

No meds at the moment, they weren't helping my boredom so I quit them.

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia so I'm guessing it is negative symptoms.