CrazyBoards.org

would this, could this

ok, first a story.  while in college i worked at disney world.  there was a guy there that had a brain tumor.  he swore up and down that he killed the tumor by visualizing a lazer gun zapping it.  i even saw the special he was in about it on tv.

ok, if this were true, it would definitely be the "cure", but it is doubtful.  but, what if it really happens like many others say it does, but there is this big push by others to negate it because of all the lost drug/hospital money?  anyways.

say then, that it were true.  i am not sure how much people know about the actual process of how the brain misfunctions in bp (i am lost on that subject, well, not all the way).  if someone knows the exact science and what processes are involved, then, if visualization were true, then why couldn't we picture this process in our mind and tell it to create new whatevers?  you could even get into virtual reality/neurofeedback, whatever, that shows the you where you need to concentrate your thoughts.

well, wouldn't that be nice? ;)

i know there is a lot of quackery out there.  if only some of it were that easy.  or am i missing out on something?

this all comes out of my search, looking for that golden ticket.  hasn't happened.  (i don't fall for things that easy)

have a gorgeous day!

Kathryn :)

Wouldn't it be grand to have a magic cure? Sign me up.

I don't buy into any conspiracy theory about medical cures being suppressed.  Why?  1.  I think doctors and scientists truly want to help people. 2.  The person who found a cure for even a single mental illness would have everlasting fame, be awarded the Nobel prize for Medicine and become fabulously wealthy.

As far as curing oneself by directed thinking, if it were possible, I would expect that of the Billions of people who have lived and suffered with mental illness over the 5,000 years of civilization, I would expect that someone would have noticed a pattern and we would have a specific protocol.

There are three things scientifically proven to significantly improve mental illness:

1.  Medicines

2.  Talk therapy (this is probably the closest to personally affecting your brain)

3.  Physical exercise

Cheers,

A.M.

it could have gone away from the visualizations. it could have gone away on its own accord. it could have been taken away by the tumor fairy. did he mysteriously discover some pocket change in his bed one day?

i wouldn't recommend it as the only thing to try, but it certainly can't hurt to try it as a co-treatment type thing. i can sometimes visualize my smaller headaches away for a little bit, so i know it may not a complete waste of time to try it for other things.

There are so many diseases out there that need cures, I don't by into conspiracy theories either.  Not to mention, new diseases are actually/constantly being created by nature as we speak so doctors would never be "out of business."

But if you really want to go totally "crazy" into the conspiracy thing, sure, they could give us our magic cure but then they could start concocting more secret potions and other illnesses and just make us sick again and then create more cures and on and on the cycle goes. 

Nah, that's just silly talk!

Oh...  Did I just make anyone paranoid? My apologies.

Karen

Well, I'm the opposite. My paranoia buys directly into the conspiracy theories. I don't about the medical side, but other things really make me wonder. Such a push now for all these bath & body washes. Which hmmm takes out the natural oils in your skin. Hence the need for lotion. Wonder how many companies churn out *both*. I think longer-lifetimes bulbs have been around much longer than we've been led to believe. But why introduce them when the companies can make money from resales? Same with car engines.

Sorry, you've released a demon of mine. It'll be an issue in therapy, I imagine.

Well, I'm the opposite. My paranoia buys directly into the conspiracy theories. I don't about the medical side, but other things really make me wonder. Such a push now for all these bath & body washes. Which hmmm takes out the natural oils in your skin. Hence the need for lotion. Wonder how many companies churn out *both*. I think longer-lifetimes bulbs have been around much longer than we've been led to believe. But why introduce them when the companies can make money from resales? Same with car engines.

Sorry, you've released a demon of mine. It'll be an issue in therapy, I imagine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh dear.  I'm sorry.  That was a very poor attempt at humour.  I should try to be more sensitive, I guess.

Karen

Heya,

Okay.

Here's me.

And most docs I know, except maybe some of the surgeons.

B/c cutting something out or sewing something up is often a cure anyway.

If I had the cure for MI, any cancers, heart disease, diabetes, HIV, COPD, I would take it myself, give it to my family, and tell it to everyone I saw.

So I go broke.  I'm so damn good at filling out forms, I could get a job filling out forms.

If we do our jobs right, someday we *will* be out of business.

Except the surgeons, b/c people are still going to rupture their Achilles.

No dollar amount is worth the warm fuzzies I get when someone feels better due to something I did, or when someone doesn't get sick in the first place b/c of something I found on hx, px, and routine screening.

I wish I would win the 6/49 (an Ontario lottery, sorry, non-Ontarians ;) ) so I could work for free and not have to put food on the table with fee-for-service.

Plus, if there were secret cures known only to doctors, there would be *no* sick/MI doctors.

Really.

It's okay.

We're (docs) on the lookout, and we're (docs) on our (patients') side.

But I'd *still* like to cut out Zon's abscess thingy.

Cutting is fun.

(I really need to invent a "trust me, I'm a doctor" smilie)

--ncc--

Archived