CrazyBoards.org

autsign1.jpg.1cf4b3348a190eafff8739d50b5e2a47.jpg

Apparently, this is an actual sign along a road in Newfoundland, Canada. Note that this can be read in more than one way - it can be read as a caution for motorists to be alert for children who have been allowed to wander into the road (?) and it can be read in an Autie-Children-Of-The-Corn / Autistic-Post-Apocalyptic-Mutant-Wasteland sort of way.

autsign2.jpg.67376e1167a269c4f01451231db374cf.jpg

Be sure to lock up your firearms and your encyclopedias.

autsign3.jpg.2c8640e6fa827028e01bafe7be135a17.jpg

I just find this one puzzling. Is it saying that we're all "missing a piece"? If so, to the person responsible, I say fuck you sideways. Stick that in and see if it fits.

Full disclosure: I make my living in graphic design, and other people's design idiocy makes me particularly crazy. Don't even get me started on quotation marks on signs, like when a store offers THE TOWN'S BEST "HAM".

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It has a puzzle piece because all the autism awareness things do. Usually rainbow/in multiple colours. 

Well, apparently my phone has chosen not to upload a picture to show you. However, a simple Google search will suffice. Regardless, the signs are ridiculous. Let's draw more negative attention to an already stigmatised population. 

I was walking down the street the other day, and I saw a child with what seemed to be their parents. Apparently the parents decided that putting a shirt that said "The Autism is strong in this one" on their child was appropriate. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

Well, I'm all for Autism pride, but that's outstanding. Was the kid old enough to understand?

This is in my neighborhood:

autistic child area.jpg

There are two things I find funny about this. The first is that the sign has been there for so long that the child in question is most likely in his or her twenties by now. The second is that it makes it sound as if all the ASD kids have been corralled into the one zone. Maybe they're pastured, free-range within? No added hormones or, god forbid, vaccines? Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth, I utterly fucking loathe the puzzle piece symbol. And I am not the only one.

https://autisticalex.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/why-you-need-to-stop-using-the-puzzle-piece-to-represent-autistic-people/

There are, of course, a variety of opinions.

http://the-art-of-autism.com/the-autism-puzzle-piece-a-symbol-of-what/

I will never associate the puzzle piece with anything other than the insulting insinuation that I need "solving."

• 3 years later...
On 10/4/2017 at 10:16 AM, Hopelessly Broken said:

"The Autism is strong in this one"

I find this absolutely hilarious. As a raging Aspie, with two young Aspie's, I have tried to bring them up with the belief that we are AWESOME, because we have superpowers. Also, the cliché reference to Star Wars is deliciously titillating (even though I personally think that Battlestar Galactica, the original, was far superior). I would wear this t-shirt. In fact, I now want one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 8:04 AM, Cerberus said:

Autie-Children-Of-The-Corn

This is so funny, I want to cry. I have only met one other person who has see Children of the Corn.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:56 PM, KJ said:

I find this absolutely hilarious. As a raging Aspie, with two young Aspie's, I have tried to bring them up with the belief that we are AWESOME, because we have superpowers. Also, the cliché reference to Star Wars is deliciously titillating (even though I personally think that Battlestar Galactica, the original, was far superior). I would wear this t-shirt. In fact, I now want one.

The T-Shirt is mine now. And one for my Clone.

• Like 1

That's pretty confusing. What am I supposed to be doing? Speed up? Slow down? CAUTION. AUTISTIC CHILDREN IN AREA. Should I wind up my windows and lock the doors? No, but I'm not sure what the point of these signs is. You aren't contributing to road safety if you're making drivers confused. There's more of these.

327-3274703_slow-autistic-child-at-play-

Sooo, only slow down when the child is autistic? Gotcha! If it's just neurotypical children then hit that accelerator. And there's this one.

autistic-child-street-sign-special-needs

Child. Singular. Who's the other one the and which is which? And what are you trying to tell me with this sign? Just seems odd. Am I missing something? You should probably watch out for children in general and slow down, because they're all stupid and tend to do stupid things like run into the road without looking. Do I need to go extra slow when there are autistic children in the area? Autistic children are less likely to understand the highway code? Not sure why that would be the case. Ahhh! What are they saying with these signs?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

That's pretty confusing. What am I supposed to be doing? Speed up? Slow down? CAUTION. AUTISTIC CHILDREN IN AREA. Should I wind up my windows and lock the doors? No, but I'm not sure what the point of these signs is. You aren't contributing to road safety if you're making drivers confused. There's more of these.

327-3274703_slow-autistic-child-at-play-

Sooo, only slow down when the child is autistic? Gotcha! If it's just neurotypical children then hit that accelerator. And there's this one.

autistic-child-street-sign-special-needs

Child. Singular. Who's the other one the and which is which? And what are you trying to tell me with this sign? Just seems odd. Am I missing something? You should probably watch out for children in general and slow down, because they're all stupid and tend to do stupid things like run into the road without looking. Do I need to go extra slow when there are autistic children in the area? Autistic children are less likely to understand the highway code? Not sure why that would be the case. Ahhh! What are they saying with these signs?

I would think that if one were to see a child while driving, taking the mental energy to assess whether or not that Child is the autistic one mentioned or whether that child is in fact neurotypical and thus not the child mentioned and therefore must keep looking for the autistic child would probably not result in anyone being safer 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 5:04 PM, Cerberus said:

autsign3.jpg.2c8640e6fa827028e01bafe7be135a17.jpg

Cerb, some of us have banded together and declared an AUTonomous Zone. Come and join us as we build our utopia, a place with no Muzak, banishment for any person caught within our borders wearing Axe Body Spray, and Pedantics as a class starting in third grade.

And this is the history of the loathsome puzzle piece. 

https://chapspitbeef.com/history-autism-puzzle-piece/

• Like 2