CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
xanathos

Unsure, but will ask pdoc

Hey,

Upon doing a study on hoarding I realize I have OCD symptoms.

I wonder if this is just because disorders overlap or if it warrants diagnosis. My meds wouldn't change but it can impact the therapies I can access. I have an appt Wednesday and I'll be asking my pdoc.

I'm currently dx'd schizoaffective, bpd, and social anxiety. I have ED problems also without a formal diagnosis.

The symptoms i've had for several years:

- Checking things repeatedly such as the ashtray, stove, and my lock on my door repeatedly. Begore effexor I once checked my door about 10 times the most and this would be on the daily.

- Obsessive thoughts of hurting others or others hurting me and at times sexual thoughts. The biggest irrational obsessive thing I have is my house being on fire-- even when i visited my hometown a couple towns away fromthe city I'm in and I heard and saw a firetruck I immediately thought my house was on fire as an example. Anytime I saw one or if anyone mentions my house I jump to it being burned down. Again, this subsided greatly after effexor.

- I am a hoarder and have immense trouble throwing things away.

- I compulsively pick away my dead skin and blemishes. I compulsively eat the dead skin (this one i'm unsure about). I also am compelled to pick off any really long body hairs.

- Constantly needing reassurance.

And that's just off the top of my head.

It's vastly different from my psychosis because these things i know are abnormal.

Again, these symptoms decreased significantly after being on effexor.

What are your thoughts?

On 10/7/2017 at 11:09 PM, xanathos said:

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a doc, but IMO, it seems like you do have some symptoms of OCD......I suffer from extreme OCD.

I have severe OCD to the point that I hardly ever leave my home, because I'm afraid my house will catch on fire because I left something on, or someone will break in while I'm gone........

Even on the few occasions that I do leave my home, I need help to do it.

I constantly check and re-check appliances to make sure they're off, and also check windows and doors multiple times before I'm satisfied that they really are locked.....These are just a few examples--I have some counting rituals, too.

It is possible to have both schizophrenia and OCD together.....I have seen some people here who have both, 

Hopefully, some folks here who do have both will stop by and give you more feedback.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

How bad are your symptoms now?

First line treatment for OCD is ERP, a type of therapy.  You'd do well to find a therapist who specializes in it.  It can work miracles.

Not nearly as bad as they were but they still bother me to some extent. My obsessions are still on my mind throughout the day. I will look into that, thanks.