CrazyBoards.org

Is it possible to have psychosis while sleeping? Pretty general question, but let me add some personality to it...

A few of months back, I had a severe Depressive episode, in which I practically fell asleep while hysterical. Well, in the middle of the night I got up ("waking up" is questionable) and remember looking for some kind of "hidden, secret door" under my desk. I then started looking for my Ambien prescription bottle (no clue why I was looking for it, I was not suicidal), but I don't remember finding it. My next memory is sitting on the floor, terrified; because I couldn't find my way to my bed (the room looked completely amplified). I then remember puking all over myself, and that was it.

The next day I woke up in bed (how I got there no idea) and felt very sick (nauseous, headache). I found my Ambien bottle empty, which used to hold 7-11 pills.

The reason why it points out to a psychotic episode is because of two main factors. One, the way I remember it. During my regular psychotic episodes, I only remember sporadic events. Also, when looking back on the memory of that episode, I always see it like I am looking at myself from above. Like my body and mind were disconnected, but my mind was above me the whole time. In which during this one, and others while alseep, I see and remember them the same way. The second factor is that I didn't know that what I was doing was irrational, whatsoever. In which is the same way i think during daytime psychosis and not during my "half asleep" phases.

Keep an understanding that this has happened more than once in my life. The fact that there was a depressive episode before the specific one stated seems coincidental.

I could be way off base here. Could it just be sleepwalking? Could I have woken up for a second and did these things subconsciously? I know some people experience Hypnagogia, where unusual sensory experiences or thoughts appear during waking or drifting off to sleep. But does Hypnagogia include delusions, disorganized thinking, hallucinations and grossly disorganized behavior? As well, I had my expereince and went back to bed, and my usual "half asleep" waltz is nothing compared to my episodes.

I looked through Google and all I can find is information on Hypnagogia and Psychosis During Sleep Disturbance. So any information on my general question, or personal insight would be appreciated.

Twitch

This post has been edited by Twitch: Today, 10:46 PM

Doctor: Are you experiencing Suicidal thoughts or ideation?

Twitch: No. None whatsoever.

Doctor: But dear, you overdosed on a Sleep Medication. How do you explain yourself?

Twitch: I was asleep at the time.

Edited by Twitch

I know I mentioned this before in the past, and I'm really sorry for repeating. But things like this keep happening, even without Ambien usage. And when that happened, it's not like it was the first time I used Ambien. And it wasn't the fisrt or last time an episode like that has happened.

I guess what I'm looking for is more on the specific question that my posted expereince. I was just hoping for some insight or information if it is possible.

Twitch

Well, you didn't hash it out with me, Twitch and let me tell you, I had something very similar. I read here because I am bipolar but doc did say I have disorganized thinking and bad paranoia.

Ok so..I went to sleep one night and my Siamese cat was on my shoulder as usual. I THINK I woke up and I heard water running. I also thought I was in my old apt ..then I was back in this one and I got up..(in my dream?) and ran to shut the water off. I thought people were in the apt and flashing lights, running the water, to mess with me. They were zig zags of light. I looked over and my cat

Edited by BlackCat

Twitch,

Have you tried searching for information on parasomnia? Several different types.

Is here a link to an abstract but as you'll see the full text is available for free. Not sure if this will be helpful but I saved it from a search I was working on on parasomina. * edit* Link inserted because it is too long to try to add as http.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conten...urnalcode=brain

Brain, Vol 121, Issue 10 1819-1840, Copyright

Edited by Batou

• 8 years later...

I have been with my boyfriend for over 2 years- I have dealt with many of his psychoses (he has schizophrenia) but never during his sleep up until last week when he "woke up" next to me. Looked me straight in the eye and started screaming at me, hitting me and throwing of the bed with violence... I had to tell him multiple times that it was ME... Eventually he came out of this episode, apologized but the next morning he didn't remember much about it. Only the part where I was crying and on the ground.

He is taking medication, but I am terrified that this will happen again...

Hi Polly, welcome to CB. This is a first person site and we can only answer questions if they're about you, not your boyfriend. You can look up NAMI and other sites that deal with issues like that, but I'm afraid we can't be much help if you aren't asking about yourself. Sorry!