CrazyBoards.org

strattera + stimulant?

strattera does jack for my adhd but was helpful for anxiety, not to mention caused crippling depression when i went off of it for a few weeks.  but i really need adhd help.  can i keep strattera and also convince my pdoc to give me back ritalin?  i went off because i wanted to get a benzo and my pdoc thought the 2 are bad-bad-bad to have together.  i only use the benzo 1-3 times a week.  i think him knowing that now ( 4 months later ) will help get the ritalin back. 

so anyone ever take strattera at maybe 60 mg along with regular doses of ritalin (for me i took 40 mg / day spread out in 2 - 3 doses)??  or should i just drop the strattera altogether? 

thank you!

Prn benzos should be fine with strattera.

When i was on strattera stimulants didn't seem to do much of anything.  My gf takes Strattera plus Concerta and benifits from the combination so YMMV. 

You might want to look into taking Cymbalta or Wellbutrin in place of the strattera if it doesn't help your ADD much anyway.  Cymbalta in particular might do more for anxiety that than Strattera alone. 

I can post more the next time my brain is working right if you want.

right now am on strattera and lexapro.  strattera helps the anxiety and so far lexapro has helped with cycle-related depression and evilness.  i'm hesitant to switch since those things seem well-controlled on the combo of lexapro and strattera.  i admit i have taken a couple left over doses of ritalin in the last week or so and noticed an improvement.  it wasn't working so well pre-lexapro/strattera, but i think that was because my anxiety was so bad i couldn't focus on anything.  i'm also somewhat interested in trying adderall -- my sis takes that and it seems more effective than concerta was for her. 

thanks for the info and any more that you may have.  every now and then i see something in a sig that says strattera and (stimulant) but the stimulant dose seems really low. so maybe what i'd do is add a stimulant but at a lower dose?  i am certain i need one.  i've lost quite a lot of ground that i'd gained when i was on my ritalin, and i'm sure it's related to being off it.

sad/funny how a simple med can make so much diff. in one's life ;):)

thanks for the info and any more that you may have.  every now and then i see something in a sig that says strattera and (stimulant) but the stimulant dose seems really low. so maybe what i'd do is add a stimulant but at a lower dose?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One way of looking at it: Lexapro and Strattera both are reuptake inhibitors (serotonin and noradrenalin) ...

but you can't inhibit the re-uptake of something that isn't there. So sometimes just a bit of stimulant is

needed to put some NA/DA in circulation.

FWIW, the generic adderall (I call it "kiddie adderall" because it starts dissolving in your mouth and it's

sweetened - no hiding under the tongue to spit out when the 'rents aren't looking) is available  in 5 mg

doses, scored so it can be halved or maybe even quartered.

Archived