CrazyBoards.org

SEROQUEL for sleep

Ask your questions or comments about using seroquel for sleep here.

Mod - HaloGirl66

Hi everybody-

So this is my first of what will likely wind up being many posts. 

So here's the story (at least the most pressing part of it at the moment).  I have been trying desperately for the past week to re-regulate my sleep/wake cycle.  To this effect, I've doubled up on my clonazepam at night, which actually seemed to have a paradoxical reaction and I've tried doing the "stay up all night jacked up on speed because you woke up at 7 PM and go to bed at 7 PM the next night", the latter of which has worked in the past.  I am currently out of Sonatas as I have a nasty habit of taking them recreationally by railing them (which is why I'm probably going to switch over to Ambien, as I don't get any recreational effects from it).  I find diphenhydramine and doxylamine succinate to be ineffective.

However, I do have two 100 mg tabs of Seroquel which I've broken up into quarters, which I was not prescribed.  The reason I am scared to take the Seroquel is because of a very nasty reaction I had to Abilify two months ago, which I was prescribed when my ex-pdoc thought I had BP II and was extremely agitated as I titrated up on Lamictal.  Basically, I experienced auditory hallucinations, had closed and open-eyed visuals, and experienced severe akathisia and tremors.  Fortunately, the Abilify had a sedating effect and I was asleep not too long after experiencing these symptoms, which I would venture to say was around 2 AM.  Then, I woke up around 10 AM to urinate and as I was doing so, I became extermely sweaty and lightheaded and apparently fainted, because the next thing I remember after urinating is being on the floor with my mom hovering over me.  (I was back at home, having taken time off from school due to a mental breakdown back in Dec.  I am now back in the town where my school is, doing a whole lot of nothing as I am waiting for the next quarter to start.)

Now, my question is if this was likely isolated to the Abilify or would be likely to occur with any of the neuroleptics, specifically the AAPs? My thinking is that, looking at the dosage equivalency chart that Jerod has up(which would be the equivalent of 0.25 mg of Abilify), and also taking into account that the side effect profile of Seroquel is different than Abilify, that the likelyhood of experiencing a similar reaction is not that high.  One other thing that is different is that I was not on Wellbutrin at the time I took the Abilify, but was on Lamictal instead, as stated prior.  Has anyone had a similar experience on Abilify and gone on to taking another AAP without a similar negative reaction? Also, has anyone had a seizure reaction from taking a neuroleptic in combo with Wellbutrin without a pre-exisiting seizure disorder?

I really don't have any pragmatic reason to adjust my sleep/wake cycle, but I am about to start the third phase of EMDR, and as part of that, I am supposed to develop a regular routine, which is made diffficult by the sleep component and the ADD.  I am going to be seeing her on Monday and will be meeting with my new pdoc on Weds., so I could just wait to get the Ambien (which is sometimes ineffective), but I would like to have something as a backup when the Ambien isn't enough.

Another aspect of it is that I've gotten quite depressed and disgusted with myself about my sleep schedule and also my lack of social interactions. I feel that shifting the sleep would help things in the short-term. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the length of the post, but I felt it necessary to give lots of background information.

Edited by HaloGirl66

I dont like having to say it, but I have to say it.  Taking medications not prescribed for you - especially strong anti-psychotic drugs, is dangerous and irresponsible.

See a dr and talk about the seroquel option and get a script.  In low doses it works extremely well for a lot of people with insomnia, and does not have the tolerance and dependency issues long term that benzos and some other sleep meds do.

Its quite possibly the drug for you, but you need professional medical guidance.  As for initial dosage, unless you are taking it for schizophrenia or bipolar mania, normally around 25mg, which can climb steadily each day or week, but it requires a psychiatrist's supervision.

I personally am prescribed seroquel and find it to be very good for my OCD and depressive psychosis - really good. At my dose though its no longer a sleep med (900mg/day).

I agree with chimpy - this is not something to take lightly or mess around with lightly. APs can have all kinds of reactions.  If one messed you up all the more reason not to play around with another without medical guidance.

If you think you really need to take something else for your sleep this week call your pdoc and get adivce/ prescription from her/him. Hope you find sleep soon.

Well, I saw my pdoc yesterday and he gave me an rx for seroquel.  All I have to say is DAMNNNNNN!!  That shit is so powerful.  I slept for like 16 hours.  Granted, I'd been pretty sleep deprived the past few nights, but still.

For those of you who take Seroquel on a regular or semi-regular basis, does this hypersomnia go away, or is it one of those lasting things?  I could see this being very good for days when I don't have anything the next day, but not if there's something I have to be up for.  Thanks as always for your feedback/experiences.

For those of you who take Seroquel on a regular or semi-regular basis, does this hypersomnia go away, or is it one of those lasting things? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am one of those people (are there others?) for whom the hypersomnia has never gone away. I titrated up to 400mg Seroquel, tapered back down to 200mg, and now taking 100mg. Every night I sleep 12+ hours and every morning it takes me at least an hour + coffee to get out of bed.

Erika

Seroquel just gives me a regular nights sleep (8 hours or so) at 50 mg, occassionally I am groggy in the morning.  Effexor is stimulating for me and I take it in the AM with a gallon of coffee.  I seem to be hypomanic most of the time during the day.

I LOVE Seroquel.

Well, I saw my pdoc yesterday and he gave me an rx for seroquel.  All I have to say is DAMNNNNNN!!  That shit is so powerful.  I slept for like 16 hours.  Granted, I'd been pretty sleep deprived the past few nights, but still.

For those of you who take Seroquel on a regular or semi-regular basis, does this hypersomnia go away, or is it one of those lasting things?  I could see this being very good for days when I don't have anything the next day, but not if there's something I have to be up for.  Thanks as always for your feedback/experiences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like you got some good sleep out of it, good ;)

I have been sleeping marvelously and am actually on a regular, non-fucked up sleep schedule.  Although I've been having vivid dreams.  And I used to not remember my dreams.  Unless they were awful nightmares.  Isn't it great how that works? 

Like the other night, I dreamt that Ann Coulter was over at my house and my mom, who's a psychologist, was extremely irratated at her and diagnosed her as BP and having BPD.  And I was in Mario game.  And somehow Scrooge McDuck had lost most of his gold, and it was in my house.  And it wasn't an unpleasant dream.  I wouldn't say it was necessarily pleasant, but it certainly was interesting.  I found it very funny.

Although last night, I had a dream involving my dead grandmother, who apparently lives down the street from me.  And screaming at my rich aunt and calling her a cunt and her getting all appalled.  That was a little disturbing, mostly because it comparts with how I feel about that side of my family.  It left me kind of down when I woke up, but I got out of my slump by making weird electronic music.  Ah, so much free time.  (currently on medical leave from school)  I don't know why I'm posting all this publicly.  But it was fun for me to tell.  Thought someone might get a kick out of it, I suppose.

Edited by TheNewFlesh

Hi everyone on  Seroquel for Sleep only.

I have had a chronic sleep disorder since I was a kid ( you should have lived at

MY house eeks)  ;)

Any way for awhile I was cool on 24 mg on bromazepam, 3 mg of melatonin. and

250mg  of l- tryptophan.

I had never slept like that before and had tried all prescription sleep aids..

I could fight all the drugs no matter what.. It was amazing.. I was an enigma.

Lately no sleep. 3 hours in 2 days in semi wakefullness, slumber.

PDoc said try 25 -50 mg of Seroquel.. Take 25 mg wait 30 minutes, if sleepy

take the rest of your regular night pills. I did so and could barely stand.. It was

freakie. So I am  Ok today . A touch dizzy that is it. He said at this dose no weight

gain. Anyone plump out on 25 mg, I did tons of research and mixed responses.

Does it stop working . Again It a no. Again mixed response.  Anyother info  at 25 -

50mg from anyone  would be appreciated.I feel very calm for the first time in

my life (BP2) too  :) .  weight , tolerance, side effects, appetite, energy,

mood . Anything you got. Thank you FRosty..

Huby takes Seroquel when he can't sleep. It does give him a bit of a med hangover the next day, so he only uses it when he really needs it.

25 mg is his does for the occassional no sleep nights. When he is full-blown manic, well, that is a different stroy! As for weight gain....hubby struggles with a little extra baggage. We can blame that more on genetics than the meds. Seroquel didn't seem to make it any worse though.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, Seroquel worked great initially.  Knocked me out like nothing else, but I woke up a lot during the night.  I finally figured out that, because I have PLMS (RLS only when asleep), the Seroquel, due to the fact that it's a dopamine antagonist and all the treatments for PLMS are dopamine agonists, was exacerbating my PLMS.  In fact, I experienced RLS symptoms while I was awake which had never happened before.  That was the big tip off.  I really, really wish that I could continue taking the Seroquel (took it for about 3 weeks and lost weight) as trazodone is giving me hangovers big time, but the neurochemical gods are conspiring against that.  It also seemed to lift my mood up, at least during the first week or so before the side-effects became noticable.  But if you don't have a problem with RLS/PLMS, by all means continue with the Seroquel.  The dosage used for insomnia is extremely small relative to other atypicals.  The various problems with atypicals don't seem to present themselves with the Seroquel as a result.  So yeah, Seroquel is great, unless you have PLMS.

I originally started taking seroquel for sleep, and I still do.  I was having all sorts of trouble sleeping because of Lamictal, and I read about seroquel for sleep on here, I think.  I started taking it, then told my lovely psychiatrist, and she was like, yeah cool it's good for sleep.  So, I was on 12.5mg to start with, but since then I've gone up to 100mg.  Now I'm going up to 200mg because I told my shrink I was getting paranoid that people were talking about me, and I was kicking myself constantly for all the wrong things I thought I was doing and saying.  So I'm on 175mg.  Will prolly go up to 200mg tonight.  I think it's a great drug for me.  I kinda came upon it by accident, and it works so well for sleep.  One thing I wasn't expecting is how well it works for my social anxiety.  I rarely panic or freak out in front of ppl now.  The anxiety is still there but it is dulled and doesn't interfere as much.

Anyhow, that's prolly more than you needed to know.  But, I totally recommend it for sleep.  It kicks arse.

• 6 years later...

Hi there,

I am kind of new to this but wanted to comment. The one thing I have found about seroquel (Sorry if I am spelling the medication incorrectly, you know what I mean) is the sleep paralysis and Hypnagogia (seeing visualisations/hallucinations after waking up). Seeing a giant spider climbing up the wall!!! Very scary indeed because I was trying to wake up but couldn’t in addition to hypnagogia. I heard my dead father speak to me in my sleep saying he was alive not dead two nights in a row. I don’t usually hear voices now so this disturbed me.

I find it very hard to wake up on Seroquel (100mg) however I have been on this medication for the last year. Why have the weird sleep paralysis and dreams started now? The only thing that is different is that I have stopped taking other medications Abilify (10mg), Lithium (900mg) and Lexipro (20mg). I slept for the last two days for 14hrs straight; I feel there is something is wrong. I am not hallucinating or hearing things during the day. I have been diagnosed with firstly BP, then schizophrenia then schizoaffective. I also feel very dehydrated and irritated atm. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist at the end of this month so will be able to discuss everything.

Until then your feedback is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend against using AAP's for insomnia due to how strong they really are. It seems like so many people are being scripted Seroquel and Zyprexa nowadays that it's as if people have forgotten how potent these drugs really are - their FDA indications are for bipolar disorder, TRD, Schizo-affective disorders, etc. AAP's are also one of the only classes of medications that can cause permanent movement disorders post-discontinuation due to their affects on dopamine channels, so I'd DEFINITELY try something else, first. Ask your Pdoc about Tricyclic AD's like Trazodone, if you haven't already tried it. It sounds like you want a drug that will make you feel tired as opposed to feeling "hypnotic", for which trazodone helped me with. I'd also recommend trying diphenhydramine (benadryl) btwn doses of 50-100mg taken about an hour before going to bed. Benadryl often helps me sleep through the night, but does leave me feeling groggy the next morning. Good luck!