CrazyBoards.org

The Bird Flu is Coming

Hi all

Jeb Bush, our "lets scare the hell out of everyone" sibling of our man, George, informed Floridians that they would be the first ones hit if bird flu hits the states. This is due to high tourism, high traffic in our ports, etc.

They are actually telling us to get our face masks, and horrors of horrors, Disneyworld might have to shut down.

Anyone worried. I am heading for WV if that happens. I just hope Olga gets her chickens innoculated!!

HELP..I'm starting tp feel a bit henish (whatever that hell that means!)

:embarassed:

Syl

Damn, I'm off to the drugstore to get some Chicken Nyquil.  You know, the one with the tiny little cup they can get their beaks into.  ;)

A.M.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AM

Don't forget their tiny little face masks, use cotton pads, its cheaper. You're a riot.

Sylvia

Sylvia:

Here's a picture of the Big Guy, hangin' out wit' his goils...

P1190061.JPG

I can't let them out these days because I have a resident red-tailed hawk.  He didn't migrate in the fall, and hangs around my place hoping I'll let one of the chickens out.  He also hunts in the neighbor's field, which is good.  (Keeps down the rodent population.)

So my guys are in the Big House for the Duration.

olga

Hi All,

Sylvia, I used to live in florida and will likely have to make a re-appearance for various legal reasons. Im currently on vacation at my parents hotel in CA.

anyway -

start telling people now: DO NOT KISS DEAD CHICKENS. as that is apparently how the kids in Turkey got the sickness.

lets all make a promise to each other - NO KISSING DEAD CHICKENS.

Im kind of joking,

ok, i am not much for promises, but this one i think  i can do.  why in the world would someone kiss a dead chicken anyway!?

wait, nevermind, i dont want to know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

December,

too freaking funny. I always follow your posts. It seems like both of us have kissed, if not dead chickens, at least a few rodents!

Better days are ahead, my wish for you.

Sylvia

Olga

I was the chicken lady (tended the chickens at the Family Farm I had mentioned earlier.) I do not mean to offend any chicken lovers, but they are some dumb ass birds. haha

And as December said...DO NOT KISS THE CHICKENS.

See ya

Syl

Heya folks,

Bird flu.

Tamiflu.

Whatever.

Don't *even* get me started.

Depart soon, go far, tarry long, as they said during the plague.

Keep chickens all in separate cages and in some kind of shelter so wild birds don't come over and say Hi, koff, koff, hawk, spit.

Stay out of the hospital if at all possible; this is the *only* circumstance in which you will *ever* hear me advocating home birth.

Us FPs are not among "front-line health care workers," so no government Tamiflu for us (like there's enough anyway); so, although many of us will keep working, no *way* are we making our staff risk their lives to answer the bloody phone.

At any rate.

Seriously.

If -- okay, when -- this flu becomes transmittable between humans, it wiull also very likely have gotten less deadly.

Heya Syl,

Get back to ya tomorrow (Today?  Ugh, it's late!) on the whole timing of flu cycles.  It's actually fairly credible.  More so, IMHO, than that article on PPHN and SSRI that I looked at recently.

For now, okay to feed the birds (toppence a bag).

But if the bird guys (ornithologists?) say migrating birds are migrating from Asia, Europe, Africa, towards you, I would say, throw the seeds or whatever, throw like a man.

And keep your cats inside, b/c they'll chase the birds, and this current flu has shown up in tagers.  Tigers.  I'm tired.

--ncc--

Sylvia,

I would have no worries feeding native wild birds such as songbirds, woodpeckers, nuthatches, etc.

The most likely carriers of the bird flu would be ducks, geese, and swans. If you want to feed those sorts of birds (I don't) I would be comfortable feeding them until there were reports of the flu in birds in the US or your region.

A.M.

Nothing really to add to this except that I think it's important to re-emphasize the fact that thus far, there have been no cases at all of this disease being transmitted human-to human. All of the people who have been infected were in contact with diseased birds.

I know that *could* change, but as of now it hasn't, and some of us tend to be a bit on the paranoid and/or hypochondriac side of things at times. Don't panic, and make sure you know where your towel is.

Don't kiss your chickens...hee hee....DeckBridge, you are TOO funny.  Actually, I used to have a pair of Buff Cochins (Fluffy tan chickens) and they were so tame they would come and sit on my lap when I took a break in the barnyard and sat down.

Part of the reason why we fence off the barnyard portion of our property is to keep the chickens from wandering up and eating the fallen seed under the bird feeder.  It's never a good idea to have wild birds and domestic birds trading germs.  So we keep the wild and the tame separated.

But I'm not worried about flu. I've never had flu, my parents never had flu and I ain't running from no stinkin' bird flu!  heh  I think some people just don't get it.  Genes, or whatever.  Plus that big glass of red wine I drink every day. ;)

olga

Hey Olga

If you come down to sunnyland, don't bring the chickens!.My best friend's (from childhood) little brother had a rooster named Robert, who use to chase us around all the time, with his head down, beady eyes, chasing us all over the place, mean ass rooster.

tee-hee.

Syl

This bird flu stuff really pisses me off. I have been trying to talk my hubby in to getting 2 Khaki Campbell ducks. I live (almost) in the freaking desert, but I have a terrible slug, weed, and earwig problem. I thought a critter who loves to munch on slugs, weeds, and earwigs that also lays eggs would be a great investment.

Now he keeps making a special point to show me bird flu stories. @#*(&&(@#^@(*&!@!

My garden needs help....I WANT MY DUCKS!

Heya,

OK this seems more like a cute fun thread so I'll back the heck off.

But.

SARS is just a cold.  Seriously, just a freaking cold virus that made enough changes to kill a few people.  Most people who had it had some sniffles.

Listen.

Ever had the sniffles?  Over two and under 65 years old?

Might have been the flu.

In fact, they're quite unclear on the epidemiology of H5N1 b/c there are *very likely* a whole bunch of people with sniffles who are harbouring *that* flu.

They don't know.  They don't KNOW.

So keep your domestic birds AWAY from migrating ones.

And WASH YOUR HANDS.

--ncc--

ncc:  no argument about the hand-washing and keeping the birds separated!

Wifezilla:  I had 8 or 10 Khaki Campbells that I raised one summer, but I didn't notice they ate slugs and stuff.  Maybe they did.  But I always thought it was that white duck with the long neck that was good for bug control....can't think of the name.  A Runner?  Or chinese Runner?

Go to the McMurray Hatchery on the net and check out the ducks available.  They're a lot of fun.  And the eggs they lay make the moistest cake you'll ever eat.

olga

"OK this seems more like a cute fun thread so I'll back the heck off."

No...it's both. Go ahead and give us the real scoop.

I appreciate hearing rational explainations from a professional instead of OH GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE from the news dorks.

And yeah Olga, its called a Runner...those were developed in Scottland. The are so goofy looking thy are cute. Both the Runners and the Campbells have a reputation for bug munching....and they are both good layers...both about 4 1/2 lbs full sized. If I can't find the Khaki's the Runners are my second choice.

I am already on the McMurry Hatchery mailing list. I just got their new catalog. Problem is I do not want chicks....no room in the house for an incubator type set up. I would like 2 adult females. I think I need to get ahold of some of the 4H kids and see if any of them are raising ducks for their project. That will be my best chance to get young adults.

Just out of curiosity...did you slaughter your ducks at the end of the year? If they don't work out as garden helpers, I hear they are good eating ;)

Archived