Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mcjimjam

Parnate for treatment resistant BP depression

Recommended Posts

Has anyone had success with Parnate after failing many other ADs? My pdoc is planning to start it after I finish ECT. I have tried Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Lexapro, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Edronax, Prozac, Luvox and Valdoxan without success, not to mention mood stabilizers, stimulants and APs. Pdoc doesn't want to try TCA because of mania risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did fantastically with it with a combo of Adderall (which I know isn't in your country, so dextroamphetamine I'm sure would do just fine). The only problem was that I gained 50 lb... Unusual since Parnate is supposed to cause weight loss. But it worked like a miracle and like no other antidepressant had. When my pdoc increased the dose (after I begged her, was only on 20 mg), the increased it to 40 mg and took away the Adderall, and I crashed. So was it he Parnate? Was it the combo? I don't know. But I'd definitely give it a try, and if your pdoc will let you, with a dose of dextroamphetamine or methylphenidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good other than the weight gain. I'm on Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) so will be on a similar combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

Sounds good other than the weight gain. I'm on Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) so will be on a similar combo.

You may not gain weight. You may stay the same or even lose weight as Parnate is wont to do in some or most people. But I wish you the best with it! Keep us updated or at least keep me updated with how you do with it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2017 at 12:01 AM, mikl_pls said:

I did fantastically with it with a combo of Adderall (which I know isn't in your country, so dextroamphetamine I'm sure would do just fine). The only problem was that I gained 50 lb... Unusual since Parnate is supposed to cause weight loss. But it worked like a miracle and like no other antidepressant had. When my pdoc increased the dose (after I begged her, was only on 20 mg), the increased it to 40 mg and took away the Adderall, and I crashed. So was it he Parnate? Was it the combo? I don't know. But I'd definitely give it a try, and if your pdoc will let you, with a dose of dextroamphetamine or methylphenidate.

I am one of the rare people who gained a lot of weight on Parnate also - 35 pounds. At first the pdoc didn't believe it was due to the med, but when I came off it due to this, the weight came off very quickly. HeΒ thought it could have been partially due to excessive fluid retention as my legs were very very swollen. So much so that they were uncomfortable.Β 

Edited by Allieb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Allieb said:

I am one of the rare people who gained a lot of weight on Parnate also - 35 pounds. At first the pdoc didn't believe it was due to the med, but when I came off it due to this, the weight came off very quickly. HeΒ thought it could have been partially due to excessive fluid retention as my legs were very very swollen. So much so that they were uncomfortable.Β 

OMG so it wasn't just me! *sigh*

Mine was definitely not fluid retention lol. It was 100% fat, and I'm still trying to lose it. Making some progress. It wasn't helped by Anafranil that I took recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...