CrazyBoards.org

is anybody else on rohypnol?

I assume this is because Rohypnol (flunitrazepam) is illegal in the countries most of the posters live in, (I'm Brazilian, the drug has only been brought back into market past year) but searches for both rohypnol and flunitrazepam return no results in the forum. So, is /anybody/ else out there taking this medication? As there's no info on crazymeds about it either I'm totally in the dark except for official, PI sheet stuff and the date-rape-drug hysteria in the media from a few years ago. I notice the same absence of information on Dalmadorm (flurazepam).

Hello? Anyone? Anyone out there at all?

Kablume,

There is no ZYREM,  there is a XYREM (Sodium Oxybate or Gamma Hydroxybutyrate, GHB)  approved by the US FDA.

Xyrem is NOT Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) which is still no longer approved.

Here is the Xyrem patient information page:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/xyrem/default.htm

Miguel A., Welcome!

I recalled that we had members from Japan and Sweden mention that they were prescribed Rohypnol, but they did not describe their experience with it. I did a site search to confirm that. 

Feel free to post and ask any questions you have.

A.M.

Miguel A., Welcome!

I recalled that we had members from Japan and Sweden mention that they were prescribed Rohypnol, but they did not describe their experience with it. I did a site search to confirm that. 

A.M.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the kind welcome. (: I have been a lurker for a small while and been learning a lot from you guys. ^^

Well, my side-effects re: rohypnol are pretty much run-of-the-mill. The two issues that intrigue me the most about it are, first, how come I'm so resistant to it - according to wikipedia it is 7 to 10 times more potent than Valium, and 4mg of it + 30mg flurazepam (a close relative, and apparently also illegal in the U.S.?) takes 2 or 3 hours to hit me down - other than that my reflexes are not affected to the point I can drive safely, while I was supposed to be knocked down into sleep within 15 minutes.  Is that an interaction with something else in my medication ("lamictor" and "seroquel" in the us) or is it that the milleage may vary this hard? Second, I've been experiencing some serious memory loss, and was wondering how much I can blame this on the benzos and how much is lamictor's fault, which I've read some posters  had memory issues with also.

Other than that, sharing the creepy experiences with other users would be nice - the other day I learned I spent about an hour around 4 in the morning on the phone with a friend, crying my heart out, and I have no memory of it whatsoever except for a few glimpses of a few seconds that came to me later; maybe other posters would have similar stories? I was hoping for some first-hand accounts on the addiction risk too, to know how much I really should be worrying. ^^

(edited to correct the dosage of flurazepam - I was on 30mg, not puny 2 mg)

Hi Miguel A.

I'm in Sweden and was on flunitrazepam (generic Rohypnol) six years ago during and after my first visit to a psychiatric hospital. First tried Ambien (zolpidem) and Imovane (zopiclone) but they gave me weird nightmares and sleep paralysis. So I was put on flunitrazepam and slept really well on that. 1 mg gave me a slight hangover, but .5 mg worked well for me (I'm a lightweight when it comes to benzo). The closest to natural sleep I have had with any pill.

As for side effects, it's hard now in hindsight to know what caused what, as I was at the same time put on my first SSRI (Zoloft) and Valium. I now believe I became mildly hypomanic - restless, irritable at times and a bit euphoric at others, poor judgement (went motorcycle riding with a guy I barely knew, that sort of thing, which I normally wouldn't do). That could have been the Zoloft. But I suspect the flunitrazepam had some influence too, because years later I took a couple of leftover pills of those and experienced a similar overly carefree state for a day, not just numb as with Valium but euphoric.

I had no memory loss, from what I remember. ;) But as I said, I only took .5-1 mg.

I took the flunitrazepam nightly for about two months, then less frequently and stopped on my own decision with no problems. I was still using Valium at the time, maybe that made it easier. Or I'm simply one of those lucky people who don't get addicted to benzo very easily. I stopped Valium after a year or so of practically daily use without any trouble either.

Miguel, Welcome to the boards. Glad you are here! I apologize for the misinformation. My bad.

A.M. I really thought they were one in the same but with different names. I am not thrilled with my husband on GHB but what can you do. He is a 3rd shifter but also BP 2. And I always get that z and x screwed up. Thanks for the correct info and that link. Good stuff.

I assume this is because Rohypnol (flunitrazepam) is illegal in the countries most of the posters live in, (I'm Brazilian, the drug has only been brought back into market past year) but searches for both rohypnol and flunitrazepam return no results in the forum. So, is /anybody/ else out there taking this medication? As there's no info on crazymeds about it either I'm totally in the dark except for official, PI sheet stuff and the date-rape-drug hysteria in the media from a few years ago. I notice the same absence of information on Dalmadorm (flurazepam).

Hello? Anyone? Anyone out there at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rohypnol is illegal in Canada, its said to be a date rape drug.  Didn't know it was legal elsewhere.

PBF

Heya Miguel A.,

Nice to meet you.

;)   :)   :P

(triggering re. rape)

Rohypnol got a bad rep as a so-called "date-rape" (come on, rape is rape) drug several years back.

It's a benzo, and on the scale of sedation, roughly ten times diazepam (Valium) in the equivalent dose.

It (in its original format) was colourless, tasteless and dissolved easily in clear liquids, so it was easy to sneak to someone.

Supposedly it was widely abused by sleazebags to drug girls and rape them, so the girls would have no memory of the rape.

The manufacturers are now making it blue, so you can see it.

It's available in something like 20 countries, but is still illegally imported to US and Canada in the original (non-blue) format made by some other manufacturer.  Apparently, it's packaged in bubble-packs to make it look official, so people are buying it and using/abusing it.

People are idiots.

Halcion (triazolam) is another one with a bad rep, and is still legal in Canada and US.  I've Rxd this one, as a sleeping pill too, short-term anyway.

Flurazipam (Dalmane) is still available in Canada and US, but I don't know how often it's used.

People abuse drugs, but most people take them responsibly.

US drug info can also be found at medscape.com, which requires a free registration.

I haven't found any consumer reports on Rohypnol, but I'll look around too.

Now I'm curious.  That IPD again (Intellectual Personality Disorder, I made it up)

--ncc--

Based purely on its reputation as a date-rape drug (as previously described here)... I would assume that the memory loss is a common side effect.

From my extensive personal experience with insomnia treatments, along with a great deal of research I've done, benzos would be the last thing I'd try first for insomnia. There are just so many other safer, non-addictive, and more effective treatment options. At least in the U.S.

Have you found the Insomnia forum? There is a lot of good stuff there on the various treatment options.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.

I took the flunitrazepam nightly for about two months, then less frequently and stopped on my own decision with no problems. I was still using Valium at the time, maybe that made it easier. Or I'm simply one of those lucky people who don't get addicted to benzo very easily. I stopped Valium after a year or so of practically daily use without any trouble either.

Phew, that's nice to hear. I wonder if the same goes for the larger dosage I'm taking though... :/ decided to use it only as an emergency, as-needed sleep-aid, especially as my Seroquel has now titrated up enough to make me sleepy on its own. ^^

Based purely on its reputation as a date-rape drug (as previously described here)... I would assume that the memory loss is a common side effect.

From my extensive personal experience with insomnia treatments, along with a great deal of research I've done, benzos would be the last thing I'd try first for insomnia. There are just so many other safer, non-addictive, and more effective treatment options. At least in the U.S.

Have you found the Insomnia forum? There is a lot of good stuff there on the various treatment options.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Pdoc prescribed me benzos as a temporary relief for insomnia. He thinks that my difficulty to sleep is associated with my mood disorder, and likely to go away as/when we find the right medication and dosage for my bipolar depression. If it doesn't go away by then, then we'll switch meds and strategy. Right now, he says, getting rid of the depression is our priority.

As for the memory loss, yes - from the moment I take it until I wake up again I have no memory whatsoever of what happened, with the occasional glimpse of a few seconds (I need to ask around if I slept). But by memory loss I mean forgetfulness during the day, while not under the influence, and asking if I already told some story to the same person 3 or 4 times in a week. I guess this kind of forgetfulness is common to all benzos, though? Flunitrazepam and Flurazepam being the toughest, then, no surprises here I guess :/

Miguel A.

Your doctor is right about sleep difficulties being associated with Bipolar. In fact the psychiatry establishment is finally starting to recognize the terrible effect that sleep problems have on Bipolar illness. 

A good Pdoc should be very attentive to assuring that you are getting good sleep at every appointment.

Dr.  Phelps website is dedicated to Bipolar and he has some excellent examples of how sleep affects BP.

http://www.psycheducation.org

A.M.

I've never been on Rohypnol but I know my pdoc prescribes it.

She is kind of ditzy and once told my parents one the phone to give me some Rohypnol when I was manic, obviously confusing me with another patient. Hehehe.

Edited to add: My mom's friend was on Rohypnol after she got psychotic after her first born son was born. She was on it for half a year and had no withdrawal symptoms. Weird.

It's a street drug here too though.

• 1 year later...

Kablume,

There is no ZYREM, there is a XYREM (Sodium Oxybate or Gamma Hydroxybutyrate, GHB) approved by the US FDA.

Xyrem is NOT Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) which is still no longer approved.

Here is the Xyrem patient information page:

[link=http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/xyrem/default.htm"'>http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/xyrem/default.htm" target="_blank]http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/xyrem/default.htm[/link]

you are a retard you ahve no idea zyren is a real drug i know i take it twice a day so shut you mother fucking mouth biatch here a vfew sites on it biatch read uporon

View topic - Zyrem--Good or Bad?

Sleep disorder community providing authoritative sleep information and live sleep disorder support: news, chat rooms, message boards, and articleswww.talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards/viewtopic.php?p=137484 - 75k - Cached - More from this site 2.

Erowid Experience Vaults: Zyrem (GHB) - Prescribed For Narcolepsy

An Experience with Zyrem (GHB). \'Prescribed For Narcolepsy\' by Sleep ... After failure with traditional medications my physician prescribed Zyrem which is GHB. ...de1.erowid.org/experiences/exp.phpquery=ID=47038.html - 5k - Cached - More from this site <LI>3.

Arthritis Information -Zyrem for pain?

Archives of Arthritis Insight Forums and message boards from user posts. ... Folks have been posting that zyrem which is mostly used for narcolepsy patients ...www.arthritisinsight.com/archives/test2192.htm - 6k - Cached - More from this site <LI>4.

Arthritis Central

Arthritis Central - Take back control of your arthritis with the largest collection of videos and written materials for ... Zyrem works very well at increasing ...arthritiscentral.com/index.php?page=newsandadvances.php&aid=131&... - 23k - Cached - More from this site <LI>5.

CrazyBoards > is anybody else on rohypnol?

... in the US it is called Zyrem now. Google Zyrem and you'll get a lot of info ... There is no ZYREM, there is a XYREM (Sodium Oxybate or Gamma Hydroxybutyrate, ...www.crazyboards.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t9220.html - 18k - Cached - More from this site <LI>6.

Abbott - Zyrem

Zyrem. Ginkgo biloba extract, vitamin B6 and folic acid. Presentation and Composition : Zyrem - Strip of 10 capsules. Each soft-gelatin capsule contains ...www.abbott.co.in/Zyrem.htm - 5k - Cached - More

Miguel A., Welcome!

A.M.

Woolls

you aer right the drug does exist he is a moron [Airmarshall]

AirMarshall..you are a retard you ahve no idea zyren is a real drug i know i take it twice a day so shut you mother fucking mouth biatch here a vfew sites on it biatch read uporon..

Alright Woolls,

If you are so bright how about paying fucking attention to the this TWO YEAR OLD THREAD. I was speaking about "Zyrem" to another Americaner. Zyrem is STILL not a US Federal Drug Administration generic name, nor brand name. The correct brand name is XYREM as I stated 2 years ago. I clearly made that distinction then and now. Erowid has the name wrong, and so do many other sites in the US. Google is nothing more than GIGO. Garbage in garbage out. It will feed you wrong information as well. I realize that you may get the drug under the name Zyrem in your cold country, but I cannot include drug names not relevant to the discussion.

[edit] For anyone who wants to check for themselves to the the FDA website and type in Zyrem and Xyrem http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder...atfda/index.cfm

Your PM to me is the most foul I have ever recieved and I will be suspending your privileges.

a.m.

Fuck off, and sober up.

I'm not quite sure what all of the issues are here. (I'm a bit sleepy)

If this helps or makes any difference at all, I was prescribed Xreme (GHB) about a year ago.

I hope I spelled it right.

I was scared I would get addicted to it and I did not like the heavy, drunk feeling. I always have to use the bath room during the middle of the night and it took all I had to not fall down.

It did nothing for my very sleepy sensation during the day, so I stopped. Happily.

I forgot the thread was old so you can disregard most of this post.

Off to dreamland,

Sunshine Outside

Archived