CrazyBoards.org

About to go off abilify. Went from 2.5 mg - 1.25 mg 5 days ago.

since yesterday anxiety, agitation and akathisia has gone through the roof. My intire body tingles, burns etc. And it feels like i’m about to explode. Just can’t relax.

I was only on the drug for 4 weeks.

Any ideas how long this is going to last?? And has anyone experienced this as well?

damn you drugs.. Amiright <_<

Hi there

I'm moving this to the antipsychotic board, where you'll hopefully receive more targeted responses.

Mia (mod)

• Like 1

Abilify is actually one of the easiest psych meds to withdraw from. It has a super long half-life and does its own taper.

Edited by jt07
something crazy with the formatting
  • Like 1

How are you doing?

My psychiatrist has recently asked that i try abilify (in addition to my current medication regimen of luvox klonopin and lamictal for chronic Depersonalization... it also helps with other things).

I'm concerned because the last AP I took somewhat led to my dx of chronic Depersonalization. 

I've read that its an easy need to come off. But everyone's different. 

I haven’t had any depersonalization with abilify. I did have emotional flatness though - which felt like depersonalization. But again, I’m extremely sensitive to all drugs. Abilify was great for my depression and anxiety as well. It made me mentally restless and pushed me into a hypomanic state. A lot of people have had great succes with abilify. Don’t be afraid of it. 

Sorry to hear about your depersonalization! - It’s no fun. Wish you luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyclingsarah said:

I haven’t had any depersonalization with abilify. I did have emotional flatness though - which felt like depersonalization. But again, I’m extremely sensitive to all drugs. Abilify was great for my depression and anxiety as well. It made me mentally restless and pushed me into a hypomanic state. A lot of people have had great succes with abilify. Don’t be afraid of it. 

Sorry to hear about your depersonalization! - It’s no fun. Wish you luck.

Thank you sarah

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      just started Lithium yesterday. I know it can take several weeks to work, but I already feel it clearing my head a bit.
      question tho. Can lithium make anxiety worse in the beginning - like SSRI’s? Because I now find myself very panicky
      I am also on lexapro and mirtazapine. 
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Just wondering. I have a lot of anxiety and am startinh lithium for bipolar disorder in a few weeks
    • By PurplePaisley
      I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.
      Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.
      In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.
      New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 
      I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.
      I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 
      I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.
      Purple

• By AbilifyedBunny
      Hello crazyboards,
      I wanted some feedback on the difference between typicals and atypicals...specifically Abilify versus Prolixin.
      I have been taking Abilify for years which means I have had to live with sh**y side effects for a while now.  I got to the point where I could no longer tolerate the side effects so I decided it was time for another med change.  Also, I finally realized that the Abilify could be a contributing factor to my weight problem.  
      My doctor suggested Prolixin and I agreed to try it.  I remember being on Prolixin for a short period of time in the past and I don't recall any awful or intolerable side effects.  The reason I quit the drug was an entirely different story all together which had nothing to do with the medication its self.
      I have been struggling to find the right medication for years.  I tried just about every option available to me with my previous psychiatrist.  The trouble is that the meds work but they all cause intolerable side effects.  Even the medications used to counter those side effects, have their own awful side effects.  Both my previous and current psychiatrist recommended trying the older "typical" antipsychotics at low doses.  Both of them said that their patients experienced less side effects on those medications at low doses, than with the atypicals.  Since I am already on a very low dose of Abilify anyway, I figured it was a perfect fit.
      I wanted to know if there are any marked differences between Abilify and Prolixin for the better or worse...in general and in terms of side effects.
      I had gotten used to the sh**y side effects of Abilify although some of them seem to have worsened or I have developed new ones over time.
      If this cocktail doesn't work, I am at the point where I am greatly considering going off of meds all together (safely by titrating down).  However, I don't really feel that being medication-free is an option for me.  Unfortunately, I am one of those people who seems to greatly benefit from medication and struggle without it.
      Ps. Another side note: I had to quit cannabis due to my medication which is a major bummer.  Ever since I started taking antipsychotics, years ago, cannabis began affecting me differently to the point where it wasn't worth it.  It began interacting with the meds and causing adverse effects as well as dulling the high. I am hoping this changes once I start taking typicals, seeing as they work a little bit differently.

• By dragonfly23
      For the last three months I have been lowering my Seroquel dose.    Well longer than that. Due to long term use I developed cataracts and my cholesterol is very high. 
      Over about a year I dropped from 700 to 400mg.  Easy peasy. 
      This last 400 has been awful. I am going slowly.  I get so sick.  Sweats, headaches, can’t eat, can’t sleep.   Like no sleep.    So I get to none.  Made it.  Doing well.  Two weeks out things are not good at all. 
      I cant even explain how my head is acting.    Not good on the mood spectrum (BP 1) I moved back to 50mg.  (Pdoc is on board) I can sorta sleep and other physical symptoms minimized. 
      I am rapid cycling and I am sure I am not hiding it well at work. 
      Looking for some insight into others experiences. 
      Did you get off successfully? 
      How long till negative symptoms were gone?
      Did you have to change to another AP?
      Thanks for any shared experiences in advance .