Where can I find the cost of these meds in generic form?

It also varies highly based on which pharmacy and part of the country you're in.

Costco, WalMart, and Target have some generic price guarantees, so it might be worth checking there if you have those in your area. Other small business pharmacies might have good prices on generics as well. I've found this to be more likely than national chains like CVS and Rite-Aid where I live now.

You can also look into it through your prescription drug coverage plan, if you have that as part of your health insurance. 

I remember Abilify (brand name) was $40 usd or more for a while and then dropped to $30 usd. The generic was slightly cheaper at $20 usd for a 30 day supply while I was on it. Keep in mind this is with a prescription drug plan and the coverage/copay levels all vary from company to company and plan to plan. 

Goodrx is really helpful and can save a lot of money. Sometimes there are patient assistance programs or drug discount cards you can ask about at the doctor or pharmacy.

Getting pricing for generics is tricky because

1. Generics are usually made by several different manufacturers except for medications which are newly generic in which case a company may have 180-day generic exclusivity from the FDA.

2. Different pharmacies sometimes have multiple different distributors each with different prices for a generic from the same manufacturer. e.g. a Mylan generic from Cardinal may cost less or more than the same Mylan generic from AmerisourceBergen. I know for sure that CVS uses at least two different distributors to source both brand and generic medications, Cardinal being one of them. That being said, a CVS up here in the Northeast may use Cardinal but another CVS one state over may not use them at all

So this would mean that not only do different pharmacies have different prices but a pharmacy's price could vary based on where THEY get it from even if the manufacturer is the same.

So your best bet would be to actually go to your usual pharmacy and ask them how much it would cost you as opposed to using a tool on the Internet, keeping in mind that the price your usual pharmacy gives you may not be the same price at a like pharmacy. i.e. My CVS gets from Cardinal and can give me one price but I can have no reasonable expectation of that price being the same if I were to fill the same prescription at another CVS that might not use Cardinal.

• 1 month later...

www.onerx.com shows locally owned pharmacies in addition to large chain pharmacies and even lets you put your insurance info in and lets you attempt to see what it would cost with your insurance.

Their phone app is honestly better than their website.

Oh, and they have coupons too.

Edited by mikl_pls