CrazyBoards.org

ok-- so 25 mg of seroquel knocks me out for 13 hours.  i get amazing sleep.  feel good sleep, better than ever.  but it is too long for a human to possibly sleep while having a life with responsibilities, etc.  i was told i could split the 25 in half.  buuuuut, i have read that the lower doses of seroquel seem to be more sedating.  so in theory- should i really be halving the dose??  or should i be increasing it??  i think too much.  any suggestions would be awesome ;)   thank you!

You are already on THE low dose. It doesn't continue to get more sedating the less you take.  Otherwise the smallest grain would be infinitely sedating...

Some tolerance may normally develop anyhow after taking seroquel for a while.  You didn't mention how long you have been on it.

Try splitting the pills and see how that does.

Happy dreams,

A.M.

I may be an oddity (likely), but I found 25mg of Seroquel only mildly sedating the first time I took it. Actually I was staggering around as though drunk. After that, nothing. The sedative effect only started to kick in at around 200mg, alongside other sedating meds, and I quickly found myself having to go up to 400mg to get any sleep.

I've now resorted to the typicals for sleep issues.

ok-- so 25 mg of seroquel knocks me out for 13 hours.  i get amazing sleep.  feel good sleep, better than ever.  but it is too long for a human to possibly sleep while having a life with responsibilities, etc.  i was told i could split the 25 in half.  buuuuut, i have read that the lower doses of seroquel seem to be more sedating.  so in theory- should i really be halving the dose??  or should i be increasing it??  i think too much.  any suggestions would be awesome ;)   thank you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

25mg seroquel is a tiny dose.  Usual seroquel dose is 300-800mg a day for bipolar or schizophrenia.

PBF

I take 50 mg and I take it around 8 and watch tv until I fall into a coma.  I never remember my bf taking me to bed.  Sometimes apparently I talk or complain, but I never recall how I ended up in bed, lol.  Sometimes it hits me in 20 mins, sometimes 2 hours.  It's never consistent.  It's a weird drug, but I love it.  I wouldn't sleep a wink without it.

Can you take it earlier?  I'm usually groggy in the morning, but I give myself an extra half hour in the morning to wash my Effexor down with coffee.  After about 30 mins I'm ready to roll.

Dee

Hi, I have been on Seroquel for 6 years.  I am BP II and am now taking 800 mgs.  When I first started on 25 mgs, I was knocked out by it.  A doctor in a hospital started increasing it and I thought he was crazy.  It continued to make me sleepy.  I would say that the sedation seemed to lessen around 200 mgs.  I really like Seroquel now.  I think that you probably just have to ride out the sedation to tolerance.  This is not very convenient for work/school.  You may want to try another atypical antipsychotic if you have not already done so.

Katie ;)

• 1 year later...

ok-- so 25 mg of seroquel knocks me out for 13 hours. i get amazing sleep. feel good sleep, better than ever. but it is too long for a human to possibly sleep while having a life with responsibilities, etc. i was told i could split the 25 in half. buuuuut, i have read that the lower doses of seroquel seem to be more sedating. so in theory- should i really be halving the dose?? or should i be increasing it?? i think too much. any suggestions would be awesome ;) thank you!

Drug companies do a fair amt of testing to produce patented formulations that affect the pharmakinetics of the drug that's swallowed. Coating, PH of the layers, etc, etc. That being said in my view 25 mg is far too high a minimum dose for Seroquel. My GP said I wouldn't notice a thing. Umm. Not so much. Knocks me out for 12 hours at a time and makes me dream incredibly vivid and complex dreams apparently all nite long.

So split the pill? Ya, I do. But I also take it over an hour in bits to dilute the effect, Convenient? No. But neither do I want to take more of a drug than I need.

100 mg is the lowest dose I can take and still stay awake and reasonably functional. At 25 mg, I literally fell asleep on my feet at a museum. The most I've ever taken at one time is 350 mg, and that did make me sleepy, but not narcoleptic-rubber-chicken passed out.

But Seroquel seems to work differently for everyone. If I were you, I'd ask my pdoc's permission to experiment a bit so you can find out what works best for you. It does take some time and tinkering, but it's worth it b/c Seroquel can work when nothing else does.

Good luck!

Jackee

This is yet another example of YMMV. I take 50mg three times a day, just to stay calm and collected. It's actually activating for me, I have to take more if I'm just despereate to chill and take a nap. I take 400mg at night, and starting around 3am, wake constantly. 600mg knocks me out cold, but once the alarm goes off, 8 hours later, one cup of coffee and I'm good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having this problem now. I was started on 12.5 mg twice a day. I took 12.5 mg at bedtime the first night and was out. A few days later, I felt nothing, so started on 25 mg. Back into a deep sleep for a few days. Now I take 50 mg at bedtime and feel nothing. Grrrrr! My dreams are really negative and vivid though and I can't sleep through the night - I toss and turn. Maybe I'm just a wacky case but pdoc gave it to me specifically FOR sleep and poo - it does nothing. :)

I just put a call into the pdoc's office. I guess I'll see what she says! Then again, she also told me Seroquel was the least likely to cause wt gain. ;)

• 2 years later...
Guest sparkles99

the tiniest amount knocks me out cold. I wake up feeling like I've been hit by a Mack truck but it certainly stops any mania dead in its tracks!

Seroquel was funny for me - at first it was very sedating.. and it felt like I was wearing a lead suit. Then I quickly got used to it.. and I got up to 1200mgs a day on occasion (normally 800mg, but sometimes I needed more). Even on that high of a dose I could stay up 24-36 hours on it after taking it. Maybe I was a lil hypomanic, but nothing insane - like people thought I was ok? And 25-50mg would knock me out at first, no kidding. I was on Seroquel for a year and a half in total and quit because I gained about 70lbs on it. I have some Seroquel left over and when I do feel mixed mania coming on and I need more APs than what I am on I will add a little Seroquel back on, but it does not sedate me even at low doses, though I think I am no longer used to it..

I don't think so, but that is just me. Some people find higher doses still sedating.. though not more sedating than say 200mg.. (I wouldn't say it was necessarily more sedating just that the sedation factor kind of doesn't get worse at a certain point, but stays the same.. Otherwise people would be comatose at say 800mg, and they aren't..

• 2 years later...

I was told by my psych that 150mg is the minimum allowed dosage of seroquel. I started on a 50mg dosage and increase by 50 weekly until I reached a dosage of 400mg. 400mg caused me to stay drowsy through out the day. In fact, I kept falling asleep behind the wheel, so I was dropped down to 300mg, then 250mg, and now am only on 150mg. Because my seroquel dropped so low though they incresa my depakote from 1000mg to 1500mg.

Quel is just a funny drug.   You cannot predict exactly when the sedation will wear off, but most pdocs and literature agree that it is somewhere around 300--400 m.g., depending on lots of factors (including grapefruit and smoking!).  And how you metabolize, and whatnot.

Quel does seem to be two different drugs at different dosages:  Below YOUR threshold for Killer Fatigue, it pretty much functions as the Sleeping Pill From Hell, at like, whatever dosage.

There does appear to be a sweet spot for people, where they are high enough to not be flopping around on the floor like fish all day, and that requires slow and steady increases until you reach that point where you sleep enough, but not too much.   Honestly, at 25 m.g. you are also getting like, NO real mood stabilizing or AAP effect.   Quel is not marketed as a sleep drug but I have to say at the right dose, it's been a HUGE part of my sleep cocktail.. I don't usually increase (that's why I take 2 AAPs) because it kills off the Sleep Effect.   I have tried to go off quel for sleep.   Not so cool.   For me, it's 300 but I smoke like crazy...... increases clearance.

After that, AP effects appear to kick in at around 300--400 m.g.  as you increase, fatigue seems to become less and less of an issue for most people..  People floating around at the high end tend to be Not that sedated, and it's freaking weird that happens, but it does.   It functions pretty fully at that point as an AAP/mood stabilizer.

That said, YVMV.   Everyone's different.   But those are pretty much the standard guidelines that I see.

I do think that reducing isn't going to really help you.  Increasing to that "tipping point" is going to help you.

All that said, I'm just some wonk on the internet who has taken seroquel a lot, at various doses (highest? 900 I think..... I was inpt).

Anna