CrazyBoards.org

7 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Yes you can. I kno someone who had a raging manic episode who is controlled by a barely therapeutic level 

but still therapeutic...............so in that range, not under it gotta hit .7-1.2 right

I was on 600 mg lithium and it wasn't doing anything so they jumped me up to 1200 which I think was really dangerous. I didn't go toxic but I would have really bad nausea, dizziness, forgetting words (oh yeah and lovely constipation despite chugging water). The worst part was that it didn't make me feel any less suicidal. I have anger and irritability issues too and it seemed to actually make those worse. They brought me down to 900, and I was at 8.1, but I never felt better. In the end I'd given it 8 weeks which I feel like was a fair shot. 

I’m sorry it didn’t work for u. I’m trying to find out my level today. The inverse to 300 makes me feel weird and anxious and spacey again. If it subsides like it did after 3-4 days I’ll be happy. I felt great yeaterday

Good thing to note is that not everyone needs a therapeutic level to maintain and may only require normal therapeutic level during an episode. The normal therapeutic range for valproate is 50-100mcg/ml but I maintain well at just above 40.

5 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

What do  u guys mean when U say maintain 300 2xday is awfully low. And to mIbtain at 150 2xday is doubtful I would think

A maintenance dose is not always the same as an acute dose. For example, I take 1000mg a day and that gives me a blood level of 40-43mcg/ml. During an acute episode like if I were to start rapidly cycling, we could increase to 1500mg to get me into the 50-100mcg/ml range while the episode is occurring and go back down to 1000mg when we've confirmed that the episode has passed.

The point being that you don't feel overly medicated in between episodes but you simultaneously run a higher risk of having episodes recur if you aren't within the normal therapeutic range all of the time. It's a trade-off.

That being said, 150mg 2x/day does seem low. 300mg 2x/day is low but not super low. I've heard some people staying at that dose for a while. But many can only maintain once they got to total doses of 900mg to 1200mg.

Edited by browri
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, browri said:

A maintenance dose is not always the same as an acute dose. For example, I take 1000mg a day and that gives me a blood level of 40-43mcg/ml. During an acute episode like if I were to start rapidly cycling, we could increase to 1500mg to get me into the 50-100mcg/ml range while the episode is occurring and go back down to 1000mg when we've confirmed that the episode has passed.

The point being that you don't feel overly medicated in between episodes but you simultaneously run a higher risk of having episodes recur if you aren't within the normal therapeutic range all of the time. It's a trade-off.

Sothe point where u feel good....I’ felt good on 300 but I wanna try higher doses it could be better

Just now, looking for answers said:

Sothe point where u feel good....I’ felt good on 300 but I wanna try higher doses it could be better

I agree that it's good to test your limits and find out where the roof is. I've started to do this with antipsychotics. Increase until you hit akathisia, then back down and you know then how far you can go. Also balancing that with how flat your mood is.

10 minutes ago, browri said:

I agree that it's good to test your limits and find out where the roof is. I've started to do this with antipsychotics. Increase until you hit akathisia, then back down and you know then how far you can go. Also balancing that with how flat your mood is.

I’m currently in an iop, so I’m not exactly stable I 

25 minutes ago, browri said:

That being said, 150mg 2x/day does seem low. 300mg 2x/day is low but not super low. I've heard some people staying at that dose for a while. But many can only maintain once they got to total doses of 900mg to 1200mg.

How long does it take till u “feel” it

5 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

How long does it take till u “feel” it

Well I'm taking Depakote at the moment. I only took lithium for like 10 days and I just couldn't tolerate it. It made me feel really sick but it did stabilize me quickly. Within 2-3 days if I recall correctly. I just wasn't myself though. It wasn't for me.

2 minutes ago, browri said:

Well I'm taking Depakote at the moment. I only took lithium for like 10 days and I just couldn't tolerate it. It made me feel really sick but it did stabilize me quickly. Within 2-3 days if I recall correctly. I just wasn't myself though. It wasn't for me.

See I hear that, and I read that it takes 2-3 weeks for effect

For acute mania, it can be days. For maintenance it takes a little longer.

Still kind of early for a level if he's only been on 600mg for two and a half days. Don't you need to wait 3-5 days after reaching a stable dose before you can check a level?

8 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

What's ur latest blood level?

They didn’t tel me just said very low

5 minutes ago, browri said:

Still kind of early for a level if he's only been on 600mg for two and a half days. Don't you need to wait 3-5 days after reaching a stable dose before you can check a level?

I sent get it on 600 I felt like this on 300 initially too