CrazyBoards.org

I'm a female and I've on a very small dose of Lexapro. I've only been on it 4 days and already it's virtually impossible to orgasm and if I do it's a disappointment as it's such a dull orgasm. The doctor thinks I should stay on it for a month to see if there are improvements. Has anybody tried this and have the sexual problems decreased once your body gets used to the Lexapro? The doctor has said it is my decision whether I continue with it.

Edited by Unburdened
medication name

I take citalopram which has the same psycho-active molecule as Lexapro (es-citalopram). Citalopram killed my libido dead. Also, yes, it was difficult to reach orgasm and yes orgasms are dulled. In my experience, citalopram - and by extension Lexapro - are the worst SSRIs for sexual side effects, although of course, I realize that we are all different in our reaction to meds.

Did it go away? It maybe got less bothersome but only after quite some time on the med. My libido never did fully recover, but the other SSEs did seem to improve. I found that adding Remeron helped with the delayed orgasm though it did not help my libido. The only thing that has helped my libido is Abilify and that is only because it helps me in general with anhedonia.

I wish I had better news. It's a tough choice when we have to choose between our mental health and giving up part of what makes us human or suffering mentally just to hold onto it.

By the way, I am male and it doesn't matter. The effects are the same in both men and women.

Celexa and Lexapro were both libido and orgasm killers, and no, for me the SSEs never went away. We always tell people to be patient and give a med at least a month, but that was my experience. I've had better luck with Cymbalta (duloxetine).

Actually, Lexapro was recommended for me early on for its relative lack of problem with sexual side effects. Unfortunately, for me it lacked antidepressant effects. It didn't exactly va va my voom, either. Wellbutrin is another option some people try if mainline SSRIs cause sexual problems. Wellbutrin makes me wiggy, but some people think it's great.

Hmm....I don't think I had huge problems with Lexapro concerning orgasms. It was more difficult on doses like 15 and 20 mg.
When I was on 5 mg (I took this dose for about 2 years) I didn't have trouble reaching an orgasm at all. Libido was another matter, but this was also due to being in a longterm relationship.
Zoloft did kill my libido though.

• Like 1

Yeah need a little more time...but adding Wellbutrin can help if your not too anxious. BuSpar sometimes too 

Escitalopram and citalopram both decreased my libido and gave me erectile dysfunction. Orgasms were kind of boring too and for that reason I sought out sex a lot less thus a compounding problem. Fluoxetine on the other hand didn't cause erectile dysfunction but killed my libido far worse than escitalopram. So far the only serotonergic antidepressants I've found that didn't have sexual side effects were Viibryd and Trintellix (which I'm on now and love). I think with Trintellix I seek out sex less perhaps. But for example, even though I don't initiate sexual intimacy that often, when my partner initiates, I don't have much of a problem "getting into it" and I don't have erectile dysfunction. Definitely a win.

2 hours ago, browri said:

Escitalopram and citalopram both decreased my libido and gave me erectile dysfunction. Orgasms were kind of boring too and for that reason I sought out sex a lot less thus a compounding problem. Fluoxetine on the other hand didn't cause erectile dysfunction but killed my libido far worse than escitalopram. So far the only serotonergic antidepressants I've found that didn't have sexual side effects were Viibryd and Trintellix (which I'm on now and love). I think with Trintellix I seek out sex less perhaps. But for example, even though I don't initiate sexual intimacy that often, when my partner initiates, I don't have much of a problem "getting into it" and I don't have erectile dysfunction. Definitely a win.

Thanks Browri. I've been on Trintellix/Brintellix and it was terrible for me sexually. It made my vagina completely numb. I will discuss Viibryd with my Dr although I have no faith in SSRIs. Interestingly I just read that it only causes sexual problems in males. Not sure if that's true. 

47 minutes ago, Unburdened said:

Thanks Browri. I've been on Trintellix/Brintellix and it was terrible for me sexually. It made my vagina completely numb. I will discuss Viibryd with my Dr although I have no faith in SSRIs. Interestingly I just read that it only causes sexual problems in males. Not sure if that's true. 

That would be true. At least in the numbers from the clinical trials. Sexual dysfunction was very low for the Trintellix treated groups but still performed far better than other antidepressants and those who did experience sexual dysfunction on Trintellix were almost if not all men.

I was on escitalopram 10mg for 6 months and abilify at the same time and i had no problems with sex. I dont mean to be vulgar or anything when i say i had mind blowing orgasms everytime when i was in the mood for it. And boy i was in the mood! Turning to my late 30’s that lust for sex has subdued pretty much.. maybe i need to check my testosterone levels.. possibly maybe

Thanks T.Daniels. I've not tried Abilify. Can I ask if you have major depression. I'm not whether Abilify is suitable for that? I'm currently not on the right meds. I'm on Lamitrogine and We;llbutrin and I'm more focussed, but have very bad anger due to the Wellbutrin and the depression has not diminished much. I have refractory depression and have tried the majority of meds over many many years and don't react to them like ""normal" People do. I also get a lot of the side effects and can't tolerate them. I feel like giving up. 

I agree with Iceberg that Abilify might work as add on together with an antidepressant. Abilify is in literature described as activating med and might help especially with low energy and anhedonia to some degree.

About your question Unburdened, ive got very difficult bipolar 1. Ive had 3 episodes of psychotic mania and was put on a straightjacket the first time.

but im currently in the middle of depression and recovering from it slowly. 

Please consider of getting an atypical antipsychotic as add on therapy, many have had relief of their symptoms with them. 

Lithium? 

I guess there are still options for u if your can hang in there.

Usually it gets better over time on the drug as your body adjusts, but you never get back to 100% unfortunately...unless you add help.

I have the same problem with Zoloft.  It used to be that I could take a "med vacation" for a week and would be able to orgasm. That doesn't work anymore. ?

Hi Unburdened - I have been on anti-depressants for over 20 years and through a combination of trial and error I have a solution that works for me like a dream and probably would work for other people too.

Given that anti-depressants block the sympathetic nervous system from building to orgasm, if you take a teeny bit of Valium (less than a 1/4) this relaxes you enough to actually "get there."

Give it  whirl, experiment with what amount works for you - the orgasm is not as intense - but it happens. x

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By thoughtcrime
      So, I was extremely depressed in January after tapering off all my meds on my own (stupid). My doctor put me back on Wellbutrin, and we decided to try Prozac as an SSRI. The Prozac wasn't kicking in and I learned about the GeneSight genetic test for antidepressants. I asked for and had the task done. They never sent me a copy of the results.
      After a month on the Prozac and no help, I also asked to go up from 300mg Wellbutrin XL to 450mg, and that seemed to help. I had an appointment mid-April and was mostly feeling better. He decided to keep me where I was at. I forgot to ask about the GeneSight results.
      I generally feel good during the week but am miserable on the weekends. I generally lay in bed all day feeling depressed, binge eat, try and sleep as much as possible. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed with medication or if it is purely behavioral. My therapist suggests making plans for the weekend ahead of time and trying to make my weekends structured.
      I finally got around to sending the doc a message on the patient portal asking about the GeneSight results. He responded that the report showed all my meds were good for me except Prozac. The test recommends Lexapro or Zoloft instead. He did not say anything about changing the Prozac.
      For three days I have been trying to make an appointment to see the doctor. If I call I'm on hold for 10 minutes before leaving a message. I've also tried requesting an appointment with the patient portal. Nothing. So, I'm thinking about just messaging the doc (since I know he responds) and mention the problems I'm having on the weekends as well as concerns I have about staying on Prozac. I want to know if I should switch, or if I should just stay where I'm at since I'm basically doing good except no motivation and very depressed on the weekends.
      What do you all think I should do? Ask the doctor online about switching, keep trying to make an appointment, or just try and add structure to the weekends and see if I can get by without a med change?
      Current meds (all generic):
      Wellburtrin XL: 450mg
      Prozac: 20mg
      Seroquel: 200mg
      trazodone: 400mg
      hydroxyzine: 25mg 3x daily P.R.N.
    • By sming
      Hey,
      So about 5pm every day of late, my mood just turns black. I can't buy a neutral (forget positive) cognition or emotion, I start to feel and think very negatively no matter what I do. Of course, I'm feeling and thinking badly beforehand, but it just sinks to another level, or depth if you will. 
      So I'm wondering if it's a med (or meds) that I'm taking that's losing effect around 5pm. I take the following meds - yes, it's a crazy-looking brew I know, but it allows me to function somewhat - at 6am (in milligrams):
      200 Provigil, 2.5 Abilify, 40 Fetzima, 30 Lexapro, 15 BuSpar, 150 Lyrica, 10 Percocet and these at 2pm:
      150 Lyrica, 15 BuSpar and these 4 times a day, where the last dose is typically 2pm:
      15 Adderall 10 Percocet (for chronic pain) and these at 7pm for sleep:
      150 Trazodone, 50 Benedryl It's impossible to confidently predict a "culprit" but if anyone has any hunches, I'd love to hear them.
      For example, today I'm splitting (some of) the 6am batch into two and  taking the second half at 2pm as an experiment. I feel that empirical experimentation might be the way to go because the theory is too complex with this many psychotropic medications in play. 
      Cheers , Pete
    • By Drjekyll
      I am diagnosed bipolar 2, OCD, GAD, and at one point ADHD although the psychs can’t decide if it’s true or not.

my cocktail:
      wellbutrin xl 450 mg in morning
      lamictal 200mg at night
      lexapro 10mg morning for the GAD and OCD my OCD is the obsessive thoughts type.

My issue being mainly that I lack motivation and am tired all the time as well very hungry and have gained weight but can’t find the hunger control to diet and can’t find the motivation to exercise.
      yes it’s terrible and could be affecting all of this but for years it’s the only way I can function half a pot or a whole pot of coffee in the morning and  occasionally a monster or two in the afternoon I practically live on caffeine.
      i sleep ok usually about 7-8 hours a night.
      luckily I have a job currently although I’m a serial job hopper.
      somehow I have a wife and daughter who put up with me. I’m on my 20’s
      im 6 foot tall and was originally 225 when I was exercising but after wife’s pregnancy and post partum and life of course I’m now 289.
      just trying to see if anyone has experienced similar cocktails because although I’ve been under treatment off and on since 15 I have honestly not tried many meds more so favoring trying different doses of the same med because I have enough of a hard time holding a job without the med game happening.
      i have tried seroquel which is a never again
      strattera which messed with blood pressure. Gabapentin which is absolutely not. Adderall which was obviously awesome but is likely bad for the bipolar. Abilify which made me feel mentally handicapped. Buspar which made me practically forget my own name. 

Just found this place and basically looking for any experiences, thoughts etc.

• By poqi
      I have mild reflux, something like GERD or LERD, for the past six months or so. Mostly no pain, just really bad smells at the back of my throat and occasional vomit burp. It recently (past couple months) started giving me vague gut pain and bloating after meals, so I saw a dr, got scoped, and was diagnosed with reflux. No erosion/ulceration was seen though, just stomach juices bubbling up my esophagus a little.
      So, I got some prescription strength probiotics and started putting chia seeds in my drinks. (The goo really soothes all that mess.) My reflux was more or less under control with just that, until I finally decided to go to a psychiatrist for my (years long untreated) depression.

Now, after a week at 5 mg escitalopram and 25ish mg (I'm trying to quarter 100 mg pills, it's not so accurate) lamotrigine in the AM, my stomach is MAD. Putting anything in my stomach makes it bloated and painful. And the past couple days it's even worse. Last night, probably two hours after eating I had a wicked vomit burp. Like the food in my stomach wasn't moving down AT ALL. This morning I even woke up bloated. I have a long history of gut unhappiness, but it's usually my bowels/large intestine and this stomach pain shit is really making it hard for me to do anything. Like, I'm so bloated I'm scared if I get up and move around I'm going to vomit. (But I don't have nausea, weirdly enough.) And I think all this clenching my stomach against the bloating and pain is making my asthma worse.

Is this a start up side effect that will go away? Anyone know of anything besides PPIs that can help it? I think the problem is that my digestive tract just isn't moving, not that I have too much acid, and besides PPIs give me wicked diarrhea. When I had a big cup of coffee with breakfast yesterday morning, my big hearty breakfast didn't cause me any problems at all. Coffee usually makes my digestive track tweak the fuck out and puts me on the toilet, I think in this case it brought my gut back to normal speed. But I can't do that with dinner.
      My doctor actually wants me on 10 mg escitalopram already and I'm scared to go up because I don't want this to get worse. Also I have medication phobia and want to stay at the lowest doses possible for everything.
      But I really want to give the meds a chance to work.....
    • By Another Day!
      I have dealt with my mania before so I know how to normally avoid triggers, but this time my mania flared up all I crave is sex, with anyone. I have never been one to just hook up with people but its gotten bad. I've slipped up a few times but I tell myself afterwards it didn't make it better I won't do it again but I do. I don't put myself in a place where I will alone with a guy but that hasn't even worked, please forgive my vulgarity but I met a guy I was just chatting with at a dog park, gave in to what I detest and don't  want, as we found an isolated place to have sex. I don't want to be this person. That girl who just wants it I feel like I've become that I feel like people I pass in the street can see that. Does anyone have any advice? Please. I need this to stop.