CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

I’m currently on trileptal for hypomania, but it has made me really depressed... so i’m looking for another med to control hypomania.

already tried lamotrigine and neurontin. 

thinking next stop will be either depakote or lithium.

I’m really afraid of weight gain and of feeling too flat (zombie-like).

Which will you recommend? Any experiences you can share?

Lithium is probably less sedating *probably* personally I hated Depakote sedating and didn't help me much but some people swear by it for mania 

I had a lot more side effects on Depakote than lithium; I tolerated it because it helped my migraines, but I was almost relieved when it stopped working, so I could get off of it. But as always, ymmv.

Depakote was hell for me... a little weight gain (nothing dramatic), but nausea, my face broke out a bit (normally perfectly clear), and my hair started falling out. S/e's aside, didn't feel like it did much.

Love lithium, there is a bit of blunting effect, at least for me, but that wore off with time. And if it's too severe, you might be on too high a dose. It doesn't matter what your dosage is, as compared to someone else, it only matters in your blood levels and how you feel. 

Again, tho, ymmv. Ask 100 people their opinion, you'll likely get 100 different answers. 

13 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

Again, tho, ymmv. Ask 100 people their opinion, you'll likely get 100 different answers. 

That is the problem. I didn't like either. If I were you I'd try lithium first.

Currently on both. Slowly tapering down from a dosage of 3200 mg of depakote(currently at 2500 mg)

depakote imo is great for mania and that's probably why in my recent hospitalization I was given such a high dose.

Lithium helps me with depression and is very useful for not relapsing into mania. Unfortunately I have repeatidly stopped meds thinking I'm "cured" and I end up back in the hospital.

I prefer lithium over all alternative mood stableizers but everyone's brain is different.

I was on Lithium for 13.5 years and loved it. I didn't gain weight on it and it was effective at controlling my mood. However in September 2016 I had to go off it due to impaired kidney function. I became manic within a few weeks even though my pdoc  had commenced me on Depakote. It took quite a while for my mood to stabilise. By the end of October I was doing so much better but my eating was totally out of control and I gained 40 lbs over a 3 month period but I hadn't been trying to control my urge to eat. I rejoined my slimming group in January 2017 and have managed to lose 42 lbs to date. It was a struggle but I did it. I am doing well now at 1600mg. Depakote is helping me but overall I prefer Lithium. 

I haven't been on lithium,not available in my country. I also do well on Depakote (Depakine Chrono) 1500mg, it has smooth stabilizing effect on me, didn't find it sedating. 

I was nearly narcoleptic on depakote. I am on a low dose of lithium and a high dose of saphris now and have been stable for 4 years. I don't recommend saphris though. Withdrawals are awful and long lasting.

I was depressed and paranoid on Depakote.  I ended up choking my girlfriend at the time on it.  I went to jail for that and they didn't have Depakote, so they switched me to Lithium.  It was like night and day and I have never looked back.

I’m on a pretty low dose of depakote, but even when I was on only 500mg I feel like it did help somewhat. It was the first medication I was put on and the first thing I noticed was that it started pulling back at the mania and calmed me down a bit, but it didn’t help with breaking the concentration difficulties or the other parts of mania. That’s where the risperdal really helped.