CrazyBoards.org

philosophin

DBT skill of the day!

Opposite action. I really didn't want to go to the doctor, but I went anyway.

• Like 1

Radical acceptance (which usually I hate).  This shit is just going to get time to get better.  All I can do is keep trying and doing what I can.

Also, the website that CB shows after I enter my login information is not likely to ever revert back to only being the intro page.

• Like 1

Yes @dancesintherain Those positive self-affirmations are useless. They have never worked for me...CBT is not helpful for me either.

Really struggling with self-acceptance/radical acceptance. Any advice anyone here has received from therapists? My tdoc says I should "talk to myself and give myself encouragement, praise, acknowledgement and patience, like you would treat a child" ..but I'm not a mother so this is a bit weird for me, but I do know that I would never tell my child (or anyone for that matter) the sorts of things that i tell myself.

• Like 1

I’ve written a statement on my mirror so that I see it each time I’m in the bathroom. If you use dry erase markers it washes off.  But that’s about all I’ve got.  It might not hurt to make a separate thread because it extends beyond DBT I think.

• Like 1

I’m not good at knowing the exact name for the skill but like problem solving/understanding the emotions and cause, rather than not knowing why I felt awful BPD emotional mess & it snowballing more easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeschmee said:

I'm really starting to get Radical Acceptance.

It just sort of stuck with me

Nice--that's a really hard one for me.  In the sense that when I was learning it in group, I had to leave the group room in tears and speak with the second therapist who was in the group (they did one to teach it and one to observe/handle crises)...almost every time.  Fortunately it was only four weeks. ;-) I think the big piece is that we were working in individual therapy on the CSA at the time and as much as they told us that acceptance didn't mean that it was okay, I still felt like it was trying to make it okay. 

I've been distracting with activities and I've been sensory self-soothing.  I've got a lot going on that I just have to wait until Tuesday to discuss with my therapist, so distress tolerance it is.

I'm chaining distress tolerance skills together.  I think my brain is still recovering from the flashback.  Mostly distracting with activities with some sensory self-soothing thrown in. And started with Ice.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I'm chaining distress tolerance skills together.  I think my brain is still recovering from the flashback.  Mostly distracting with activities with some sensory self-soothing thrown in. And started with Ice.

??? because hugs are the best and I need em too

I'm going to do yoga and then do some "coping ahead" with a thing i have to do on friday that I am dreading

It's the one when you get yourself completely relaxed and then you visualize every tiny step of the scary thing you have to do while in that relaxed state

• Like 1

Nice!

i went for opposite action.  The emotions were fear and sadness.  My urge was to isolate and do nothing.  Instead, I called a friend and asked if she was free to come over (she is) and we talked on the phone while she was temporarily stuck at her place.  Because I wanted her to have a place to sit, I had to relocate some things off the sofa.  And because the trash was ready to go, I got that done.

i still fear and sadness, but it’s not as bad.

Willing hands - I’m at a doctor’s office and have to wait thirty minutes and have a history of trauma in a medical setting

• Like 1

Today I’m working on:

Pleasant Events: planning out my day tomorrow (yes, I find this enjoyable) and maybe buying a jade drinking glass I saw in a store.

Values: Text hubby something nice.  Brainstorm with therapist types of nice texts I can send.

Cope ahead: Urges for contacting a person.  I just ended a destructive and interfering relationship with them.

Mindfulness of thoughts: 5 min meditation imagining releasing a bird with my hands to let go of each thought.

Willing hands is resurfacing.  Which I find borderine amusing because it’s one of the skills I barely believe in.  But I’m finding it useful when waiting for appointments where I have no control over the timing or any sense of when I’ll get called for it.

• Like 1