CrazyBoards.org

Depends what you're trying to organize. What are you thinking if FreeMind? I was looking at it, wondering if it would be good for organizing book projects or other writing. With software in general it always takes me some length of time, proportional to the complexity of the domain, to figure out that the most efficient tools are often paper and pen.

I like a little Windows app called Personal Information Manager (PIM) for keeping notes, schedule/calendar, contacts all in one place. It's got a simple interface but is rather flexible in the notes area for organizing hierarchies. It's nagware.

Well.  I run linux on my desktop.

I opened this topic mostly to see what kinds of software other people are using to compensate for their ADD and maybe to get ideas to people who might need them.  And to share FreeMind because I think it's really cool.

I've been using kdissert, a KDE ap for mindmapping for the past couple years.  I find that the mindmap approach meshes with my way of thinking and writing much more easily than outlines.  I even use them for the prewriting stages of fiction and the like.  Before finding software like this I just used pencil and paper.

I write a few paragraphs on a topic at a time, save them to their own file, and then link them to a map node which shows their relationship to the rest of the whole that I'm working on.  For papers and such the paragraphs don't get put in order until pretty late in the process.  I find that this lets me skip around and write a little about this, a little about that, etc while using the map construct to keep up with how it all relates. 

I'm not sure it's even accurate to call it an organizational system.  It's more like a way of being absurdly scattered and still getting stuff done.

Well.  I run linux on my desktop.

I opened this topic mostly to see what kinds of software other people are using to compensate for their ADD and maybe to get ideas to people who might need them.  And to share FreeMind because I think it's really cool.

I've been using kdissert, a KDE ap for mindmapping for the past couple years.  I find that the mindmap approach meshes with my way of thinking and writing much more easily than outlines.  I even use them for the prewriting stages of fiction and the like.  Before finding software like this I just used pencil and paper.

I write a few paragraphs on a topic at a time, save them to their own file, and then link them to a map node which shows their relationship to the rest of the whole that I'm working on.  For papers and such the paragraphs don't get put in order until pretty late in the process.  I find that this lets me skip around and write a little about this, a little about that, etc while using the map construct to keep up with how it all relates. 

I'm not sure it's even accurate to call it an organizational system.  It's more like a way of being absurdly scattered and still getting stuff done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should try this out. The "ADD Planner" software i bought sits unused on MY PC though so who knows if I'd actually get around to using.

• 2 weeks later...

My shrink admits to a touch of ADD, and swears by her PDA. So far, I've got by with a little black notebook. I have an almost continuous series of them dating from 1977.

Archived