CrazyBoards.org

Stopping Remeron

I would like to stop the 15 mgs of remeron I take at night......are there any problems with stopping it all at once?

I also take 200 mgs of clozaril......well actually 100 most of the time.  Do I seem a bit non-compliant with my meds:(? 

I am thinking that by increasing the clozaril to where I should be, I will still be able to sleep.  I had a problem before with only the clozaril before, but I am hoping for the best ;) .

Anyway, to all you former remeron people, any problems with stopping all at once or should I split the dose for awhile?  If you recommend splitting the dose, how long before you stopped entirely?

I know, I know........I should consult my pdoc........but until then.....anyone?

Thank you in advance!

First of all the obligatory--ask your doctor.

I went off Remeron when I was taking a healthy dose of it. For me I had to go down to 3/4 of a tablet for 5-6 days, then half a tablet, then a quarter, then part of a quarter.  Otherwise I get this funny feeling where I turn my head to the side but my brain stays straight ahead. Then turn my head back and my brain stays to the side. Kind of. (Is there a term for this?)

Right now I'm trying to go off of the quarter tablet I'm taking and taking 1/8 for 2-3 days but that's because a small dose makes a difference for me.

I would imagine in any case unless you have an extreme need to get off of it quickly, it wouldn't hurt to go slow.

I know for me if I were to go from 15 to 0, even without the brain thing, I wouldn't get to sleep.

Hi:

I was on 45 mgs for years. My p-doc pointed out that since with Remeron "less is more" in terms of sedation, stepping down would be pointless. So I just stopped.

I had another med to go to, I was manic ( which I am not normally) for about a week, but in retrospect, I think that was the right decision for me. She kept up with me each day.

You really need to ask your p-doc, but there isn't really a way to step down from the lowest ( I think) dose of 15 mgs. And I have read where most p-docs will have you step down.

Again, I had something else to go to, and we stayed in daily contact.

Breeze

I take 600 mgs of Effexor xr in the morning so I am hoping that the effexor will offset the withdrawel of the remeron........They are the same family correct:).

I am going to try it without tonight........but may go to the 1/2 pill tomorrow......thank you so much for your reply!

I stopped remeron cold turkey. I had mild discontinuation, but it's been worse.

If/when you decide, be prepared to not sleep so well for a night or two.

Morally, I should tell you to call your pdoc and let him or her know, but I'm way too comfy in the non-compliant compartment of the crazy train. So lets pretend I did

According to my pdoc, Remeron can be stopped/started without titration. I have taken it on and off "as needed" for insomnia for 5+ years without problems. 15 mg is a very small dose. There's not much there to play with in terms of titration.

Effexor and Remeron are not in the same class of medication. Remeron is in a class of its own... it stimulates your brain to produce more serotonin and, at higher doses, norepinephrine, while Effexor inhibits the reuptake of these neurotransmitters (as well as dopamine at the dose you're on).

Anyway... yes... you should at least talk to your pdoc before discontinuing any medication.

I stopped remeron cold turkey. I had mild discontinuation, but it's been worse.

If/when you decide, be prepared to not sleep so well for a night or two.

Morally, I should tell you to call your pdoc and let him or her know, but I'm way too comfy in the non-compliant compartment of the crazy train. So lets pretend I did

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your right...........sleep is definitly not coming easily tonight! 

i too stopped remeron cold. i was at 30 mgs. it gave me a pretty narsty headache for about three days and my sleep or lack thereof during that time utterly sucked.

i am now on 75 mgs of seroquel along with my (useless) 225 mg effexor and it helps with my depression, anxiety, triggering/obsessive thoughts and sleep.

good luck.

grouse.

i too stopped remeron cold. i was at 30 mgs. it gave me a pretty narsty headache for about three days and my sleep or lack thereof during that time utterly sucked.

i am now on 75 mgs of seroquel along with my (useless) 225 mg effexor and it helps with my depression, anxiety, triggering/obsessive thoughts and sleep.

good luck.

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Grouse.......the trouble sleeping is sure a problem tonight.  I just took another 50mg of the clozaril, so maybe that will help.

But I really responded to the fact that your 225 of the effexor is not working.........have you tried a higher dose? 

I know that the 600 mg of the effexor I am on is way over the top by most standards, but there is really room at 225 for an increase. 

I generally build up a tolerance to meds over time.....consequently the addition of the remeron.  But the effexor has been my lifesaver......(literally) for the past 6 years.  Good luck!

hi zelda,

i took myself up to 300 mg over three weeks and it turned me into a zombie. it was like my brain was a long way away from me. when someone asked me a question they would sometimes get tired of waiting for a response and walk away. not good. i laugh when i remember how that was cos it was kind of funny sometimes.

i feel quite sure that effexor is not the med for me as i have been on it for about 18 months i think. the key for me is seroquel if i miss even a single dose it takes me about three or four days to recover from the sudden onslaught of obsessive thoughts and ensuing depression and anxiety.

i'm glad for you of course though that effexor is working for you. finding a med that does is a wonderful thing.

take care,

grouse.

I also stopped remeron 45mg cold. I didn't notice any side effects.. except now I'm not eating fuckin 5 meals a day... though WB may have something to do with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I slept much better last night then the night before ;) .  I have moved up to 150 of the clozaril (I am perscribed 200), and will go to the 200 this weekend.

I also have noticed a big drop in my appetite........that's a good thing:)!!!

Hopefully the extra clozaril will keep the depression controlled! Maybe even a slight increase............I am calling my pdoc tomorrow to make an appointment.

Thanks for all your input!

Archived