CrazyBoards.org

Extending Up Cycles

For now until my pdoc can get my meds to get me more stable, I go a few days up and a few days down. However lately the ups are getting shorter-about two days, and my downs are still about four days. This is a stupid and dangerous question, but is there any way to try to extend the ups? I'm not manic, just "mildly" hypomanic.

lemon, you do know that the more up you go..the worse the drop down is going to feel? I found that the hardest to tolerate..the drop down. Crying is not my fave thing..but it will happen. It's inevitable. 

Sorry I just can't bring myself to make you worse.

Depending on your personal triggers there are probably some things that you could do to extend an hypomanice episode a bit. But you couldn't control the quality (non functional dysphoric, no attention span, hyper aware...) nor could you control the following state, eg spin off into a full blown manic episode, plunge into a depressionk, or probably least likely, have soft landing into a comfortably normal state.

But I'm not going to suggest anything so foolish. The goal is to be stable, no hypomanic.    Do be aware that the latest research shows the Bipolars, particularly BPII's may spend more time depressed than normal or (hypo)manic, so the most likely outcome is probably a depression of some sort.

Your best bet for staying functional till you see the Pdoc is to do all the things that are good for you: Get enough sleep, eat regular meals, get out and get some exercise and sunshine, avoid alcohol and drugs, do things that are pleasurable including being with people you like.

Hang there,

A.M.

I went through a phase of around a couple of months of cycling exactly how you described, though my highs were more severe.

Eventually this stopped and mania took over. I haven't been depressed for a while now though I do switch from euphoric to disphoric hypo and full manias a lot.

Not sure if this is of any use to you but thought I'd post. Good luck.

I went through a phase of around a couple of months of cycling exactly how you described, though my highs were more severe.

Eventually this stopped and mania took over. I haven't been depressed for a while now though I do switch from euphoric to disphoric hypo and full manias a lot.

Not sure if this is of any use to you but thought I'd post. Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You lucky duck. (Not really.) How does that happen even though you're taking Zyprexa and Tegretol?

My downs have been really down and it's really disappointing to only get two up days. For those who have weeks or months of down cycles, I don't know how you do it. I have to be patient because we're going to increase the Risperdal and maybe add something else but it will take a while for it to all shake out.

God only knows how I manage it. I thought it was technically impossible to get manic on Zyprexa, but there you go. My own theory is that the Tegretol doesn't do a lot for me, and that for me anyway, the Zyprexa is only effective as a short term anti manic, ie to end a mania rather then prevent it.

I like the hypomanias but hate the full manias. Alas untreated hypomania always leads to a full mania for me. Seeing pdoc next week, I imagine the next step will be Depakote.

Hope your pdoc manages to straighten you out, I know how frustrating it is to be continually popping pills and seeing only minimal improvement.

Archived