CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
CeremonyNewOrder

What album best describes your MI?

My choice is Closer by Joy Division. Before I was treated, I use to listen to this album on loop and contemplate suicide. I know of no other record that captures the utter darkness and hopelessness of mental health and it's not whiny, it's pure art.

Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place. I listen to it when I'm super down and it somehow makes me feel that it's okay to feel that way. It makes me feel at peace with my MI.

3 hours ago, pinkfloydforeverlove said:

Pink Floyd's The Wall

This (for theme), Wish You Were Here (also for theme), and The Division Bell (for acoustics) :) .

Probably still The Bends by Radiohead. 22 years ago and still... everything is broken, 'cause I'd be scared that there's nothing underneath, I wanna be part of the human race, don't leave me high don't leave me dry, you do it to yourself, fade out again. Says it all really.

I usually listen only to baroque or medieval music but there’s this one album I listen to when I’m manic or psychotic (or both) that is just so bizarre it totally speaks to my head when I’m in that place: Showtunes by Stephen Merritt. If you listen to the words underneath the cheer of the music it would probably put even the most tortured, twisted lyrics of any band ever to shame. And it’s eniterely about fairytales and love. So there you go. 

Tricky question, because I'm not sure it would be possible to write music to capture my MI - it's such a null space that melody couldn't exist.

But for what resonates inside my hollow skull, you can try Enya's albums The Memory of Trees, Amarantine, and The Celts (in that order).

None can come close to a full capture of mine. And that's not so bad, I don't really need to hear yet another repeat of it. 

However, I would have to say Linkin Park, Meteora. Or Bring Me The Horizon, Sempiternal. 

I think, Freak Show by Silverchair. The songs seem to reflect Daniel Johns’ tortured state of mind at the time. He was suffering from depression, anxiety, paranoia, suicide ideation, developing anorexia & had isolated himself when he was writing it.

Narrow Stairs by Death Cab For Cutie is a go-to of mine when i'm not well. it's pretty upbeat, but the lyrics/themes are completely dismal. i'm a big death cab fan, from their early stuff to their recent work, and i cycle through the albums depending on how i'm feeling.

• Like 1