CrazyBoards.org

People just don't get it

Whenever I tell someone I have ADHD, they always say "oh, but I have that too, there's nothing wrong with you, everyone has that" all the time. I don't think people get what a serious problem it can be.

Sure, I believe most people have a "touch" of ADD/ADHD but if it doesn't cause problems in your everyday life it's not a problem! It's only when it's interfering with your life you need help.

Do you get this a lot?

Constantly. Along with "stop pretending you've got this big illness," "you could do things if you really wanted to," "stop making excuses," "I don't believe in ADD," "only you can decide if you really want to fix this," and "I used to be like that but made the decision to get organized. You can too."

Yup, yup, yup!

lily

Constantly. Along with "stop pretending you've got this big illness," "you could do things if you really wanted to," "stop making excuses," "I don't believe in ADD," "only you can decide if you really want to fix this," and "I used to be like that but made the decision to get organized. You can too."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been told some of that on this board!

Then again, "but everyone does THAT" and "that happens to everyone" are a

couple I've been plenty guilty of myself.    Hey, denial is one of my more

endearing traits! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been told some of that on this board!

Then again, "but everyone does THAT" and "that happens to everyone" are a

couple I've been plenty guilty of myself.

I come here for support. I don't talk about my life much just bits here and there.

I like to keep things private.

I am sure a lot of you will understand that.

I have been told by Mod's no less (easy, cowboys!)

That my life seems so "normal" that they are unsure of what my DX is.

/rant

I think people don't understand that it's a case of extent.

Yes. Everyone gets sad sometimes. Everyone does not get crippling 'I can't get out of bed and wouldn't care if I could.' depression.

Everyone gets excited sometimes. They don't get 'I'm going to buy a private jet and learn to ride a bike and learn to fly and drink ten gallons of whiskey and reroof my house today.' manias.

Everyone gets distracted. Everyone does not get distracted to the point they can't focus on one fucking thing for ten seconds to the point that it's hazardous to their health and detrimental to their life.

Everyone is scared of something. Being scared of something doesn't mean crippling fear of going near anyone because they have germs.

This is probably easily one of my biggest pet peeves.

Actually, it goes beyond a pet peeve. It pisses me off to no end and I hear it a lot.

I swear PTSD, phobias, ADHD, and depression get the worst of it.

I've actually heard someone say they have PTSD because eating at a fast food place made them feel a bit sick, so they won't eat at that particular store again.

I practically started frothing at the mouth over that. I think I ranted for 2 solid days.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a life crippling ordeal to have to drive 2 more fucking blocks to eat at Burger King instead. Argh. ;)

/rant

Edited to add a disclaimer: I'm not talking about, to, or down to anyone on this board. Just ranting about local idiots. I dunno any of you well enough to condradict your dx or say you don't have problems.

I think people don't understand that it's a case of extent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why it can be so easy to deny there's a problem until you're curled up

and rocking in the corner.  Or until you take the medication that you're

obviously not sick enough to need, only to find out just how huge the gulf

is, between where you are and where you could have been for the past

several years.

I've actually heard someone say they have PTSD because eating at a fast food place made them feel a bit sick, so they won't eat at that particular store again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Occassionally forgetful and a bit untidy = not ADD

Serious danger to humanity when driving not on ADD meds = ADD

Thinking about how scary a test will be= not anxiety

Vomiting because you have a test the next day= anxiety

Trying on multiple outfits and fretting before a party= not social anxiety

Hyperventalating in the corner and not answering the door when people come to pick you up = social anxiety

Sad because a sad event happened (death, loss of item, etc)= sad

Plastered on the floor without a "reason"= depression

overuse of words (anxious, ADD, depressed) takes away their power.  just like asshole doctors who throw SSRIs at people who don't need them make people think depression is something that doesn't really need meds, just a nice walk or some sun or some bullshit.

gah

"but everyone does THAT" and "that happens to everyone"

depending on context though, that may just be a way of expressing sympathy/solidarity....like saying, "you're not a freak, that happens to everyone"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, reddog, and that's one of the reasons I like it here so much. While I do appreciate my friends' empathy, the same statement carries a lot more weight when the other person really does have it as bad! (g)

lily

Whenever I tell someone I have ADHD, they always say "oh, but I have that too, there's nothing wrong with you, everyone has that" all the time. I don't think people get what a serious problem it can be.

Do you get this a lot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Helena, 1st, I haven't had a chance to tell you, but I *lurve* your new avatar. It rocks.

When I was still working, I didn't bother after a time or two telling folks I have ADD, my flavor comes without hyperactivity, and at work I can, with extreme and painful effort pull off the appearance of organization.

It's weird, since I've been disabled, for physical reasons, my MI is a secondary factor in my disability crap, my ADD has gotten worse than ever. I guess since I don't have the motivation of the prospect of being fired from my job...dunno...but I know what you're talking about and yes, it's maddening.

Talking about MI in general to normies is an exercise in futility, one that I avoid, because, well, NORMAL PEOPLE SUCK! There, I said it. Whew, do I feel better.  ;)

S9

Heya crazies,

Yah, I've tried a hundred times to explain to parents and teachers the difference b/w a kid playing a lot b/c he's 4 years old, and ADD.

They.Don't.Get.It.

The bright spots are when a parent (usually dad, not always) missed getting dx'd until his 20s, so he picks it up in his kid and is *exactly* right on the button.

And has an understanding spouse to boot.

*That* kid has a fighting chance.

Rare but getting better?  I hope.

--ncc--

I have the doubt in my own head. Some days I cope pretty well. Generally, I can patch things up enough to get by. But my career sucks, I have serious problems looking for work, it takes me a long time to get projects done and I have a gazillion half done ones, etc.

I think if an open minded witness gets to see you unmedicated and then effectively medicated, things will seem obvious. Certainly my ex could. And an objective count of arguments showed a great improvement in my diplomacy.

I think a large part of what people think of as lazy is ADD. Things are going to get confusing as we understand more things that make people act in less than desirable ways. Society's outlook on character really doesn't make room for the biological part, and the biological part is going to seem larger and larger as time goes by.

Saturnine:

I've noticed that the structure at work really helps. I get more done at home when I'm working than when I'm not. Or, at least, I did before meds.

P.S. My skis and snowshoes have been in my car for two weeks, always going to the storage area the very next day.

Archived