CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
juzzy

phone phobias - does it freak you out?

I do okay when I'm the one calling, but I hate hate HATE when my phone rings. I usually don't bother to even answer my house phone, and my cell phone tells me who it is, so I usually ignore, then text-message that person later. So yeah, I'm with you on that.

I dunno, it just feels like an intrusion, I haven't had time to think of what I want to say, I don't necessarily even want to talk to that person, performance anxiety, etc.

Yup, I get it.

lily

For some reason it doesn't bother me at work, but when it rings at home it sends me into full panic mode.  My bf is the same.  We look at each other in complete horror and don't answer 99% of the time.

We frequently just turn it off so that we don't have the anticipatory anxiety, you know... just in case it "might" ring.

Nuts, yes we are thank you.

I absolutely detest talking on the telephone, even for 3 minutes, to my mother.  I can't stand that you can't see the other person's facial expression and body language.  I love talking to people in person.  Strangely, almost every job I've had requires me to spend a lot of time on the telephone.

Tommy

For some reason it doesn't bother me at work, but when it rings at home it sends me into full panic mode.  My bf is the same.  We look at each other in complete horror and don't answer 99% of the time.

We frequently just turn it off so that we don't have the anticipatory anxiety, you know... just in case it "might" ring.

Nuts, yes we are thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it is a nut thing, but I have done this for years. I do it still, even with caller ID, just because I can't stand the intrusive sound of incoming calls. Not to mention there are about 2 people I enjoy talking to on the phone right now.

The ONLY reason I have a phone is for emergencies. Since I have children, I feel a duty to have this horrible device.

I have a cell phone too, same rules apply. I never answer it. I keep it for a line between me and the kids for when I'm not at home. Period. Nuts? Okay. I can deal with that.

I rather consider it a huge Pain in the Ass rather than a phobia, but whatever.

S9

i can answer the phone fine.  i can take messages and talk to people and stuff.

but i HATE HATE HATE calling people.  even if it's just to get an appointment or something.  i stare at the phone like it's my worst enemy.  even if i know exactly what i need to say and everything.  i don't know why the fuck i'm like this, because i didn't used to be, but i am.  i really need to call to get a hair appointment but the phobia is there.  won't do it.

Hate to answer the phone. Hate to make phone calls. which is worse? Probably answering. I don't know who I'm about to be subjected to, and what they'll say. I feel as if I'm caught off guard the minute I mumble "hello". Husband usually answers the phone at night. It just rings during the day.

Wait this was about phone tag or something.

phone phobia, actually.

Saturine yea it's a drag when the phone rings at home as the one person I so enjoy can't call here. Life sucks.
What do you mean by the person "can't" call? Why can't they call you? Why does life suck?

S9

You know what's much worse than ringing phones?  Someone at the door when you aren't expecting anyone!!!  Sheer horror. 

My bf and I look at each other, wide eyes and whisper "Who the hell is that!!!!!!". 

There is an impuse to grab a baseball bat or something before answering.  Hahahahaha, chances are it's just another home alarm company salesman.

It's funny after the fact, but damn scary when it happens.

I have a pug, but she's all looks and no brains, lol.  She doesn't hear them until they are at the door either. 

There is a time and a place for everything, I can desire much, too much out of this life right now as I'm backing into creation somehow. And the loving spirit is following me always

watching helplessly.  Will the  good spirit always forgive me? Who could be loved without trust in the other? Who would love anyone if all desire could win? Does anyone need to know the secrets in another's soul, only God needs to know and it is only His place to judge me. I can live, die and be happy as long as I have not betrayed the gifts God has bestowed on my loving soul.

And life always has it's sucky moments of unanswered prayers but sometimes those

prayers are answered. Sometimes our wishes are anwsered without our acknowlegment. Like phone calls that we are too lazy to reach for or too phobic to face.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that is deep, are you on the weed? Or maybe I should be... ;)

Edited by saturnine

I hate it when the phone rings too. When I'm hypomanic I'm more likely to answer if caller id shows it may be unsolicited just to get rid of them. Once my sister in law called and it said "Private". Thinking it was a sales call to get rid of I answered it and then had to actually talk to her. Painful.

Funny thing is, if the phone rings in the middle of the night and I'm in a dead sleep, I'll automatically answer it.

I am self employed. All my business comes in over the phone. I hate phones. I hate to answer the phone and I hate to call people back. I also have a cell phone but don't give my number out. I too get a look of horror when the phone rings. Is this social phobia? I could go on and on about my phone horrors......I know now some of you understand.

fred

although i would never have classed myself as a phone phobic, i would say that i have at times been very anxiety ridden about answering the phone.

but i now have a retail job where one of my favourite job positions is the one where i'm answering the phone for the store. i like meeting and helping people. go figure.

grouse.

You know what's much worse than ringing phones?  Someone at the door when you aren't expecting anyone!!!  Sheer horror.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was telling my wife about this and she said, "You mean they're just like our cats?"

I have bad phone phobia. I don't even answer when it's my dad. I don't use it unless its to call my best friend or my mom.

In fact, I'm supposed to make a call right now/relatively soon, to go see a private pdoc. I don't have to pay, insurance covers it, and all that, but i"m essentially paralyzed. Like, I can't even choose who I want to see, let alone make the call.

I just find it ironic, now that I am set to see a tdoc, I can't make the appointment. fuckin eh.

You know what's much worse than ringing phones?
Edited by Her Tommy

I can't stand phone calls.

My heart POUNDS, and when I answer the phone, I suddenly find myself out of breath. Often people ask, "Did you just run a marathon or something?" when I was about 3 steps from the phone. ;)

Even worse is when I have to call someone. I rarely RARELY (if ever) do it.

Heh. Oh god, and when me and my brother want to order a pizza. . .

Me: You call.

Brother: No you call.

Me: Nooo.. just do it.

Brother: No YOU do it.

Me: nevermind. I'll go without the damn pizza.

GAH.

Edited by x_lifeless