CrazyBoards.org

I am seeing my Pdoc today and it has been about two months.. I have been feeling a lot better due to the meds and feel like I am on a level playing field. This Doctor has been the best and really seems to give a shit. Because of the feeling so great, my thinking is clearer,  but I would like to hit my Pdoc with an abundance of questions. But first I would like to run some things by the boards which that have helped me many times.

I take 400mgs of lamictal, divided twice a day. I also take cymbalta 60mgs.. I am weaning off Klonopin and Pdoc is planning on giving me something that can be taken on a as needed basis.. I take Lunesta and have been hitting it on a regular basis because lately my sleep has been disrupted...

My questions are this,, does anyone take lamictal at 400mgs or more out there?? If so do you take it at morning or night?? Do you take it all at once?? If you divide it do you take it before bedtime or do you take it early, say 4 hours prior to bed.. I am think that the lamictal is really doing its job but it may be causing the sleepless nights.. Because of lack of sleep my short term memory sucks and I have a bit of speech problem.. I plan on saying a word and ooops that is definitely not what should of came out... I have never felt this good and my depression has gone back to where it belongs.. The mania tends to be more anxiety than the high side and had been really demished.. I often believe several cups of coffee a day does not help!!

I have to get back to work before my boss reads this and will wonder if he has to follow me around all day.lol  If any one could help me with my questions I would deeply appreciate!

peace!!

Can't comment on many of these, but I did definitely get short term memory problems. Pdoc advised B-vitamin supplements (get the extended release ones, apparently, or you're wasting 80% of what you take). It sure seemed to help me.

Apparently, Lamictal can be pretty hard on the liver, and the B-vits are normally produced in the liver and used in the brain to avoid the stupids. Or some similar explanation. Whatever.

icthus,

I was at 300mg and took 150 at 7am and 150 at 12:30pm. I had to take the pm dose at 12:30 in order to sleep. Once I took it at 2pm since I forgot earlier. I couldn't fall asleep until 2 hours after my normal bedtime. I used to take the whole 300 in the am, but by 4:00pm I was crying over the death of my cat back in May. So I had to split it up.

MS have always severe side effect of cognitive impairment for me.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I'm up to 350 mg, and climbing. I expect I'll get to at least 400, because of all the homones I'm taking. Anyway, so far I've been taking them all at night. I'm beginning to wonder if I should start splitting them.

I've read enough posts here to realize it's highly individual. For some people Lamictal is activating, others sedating, and others it's pretty neutral. With me, initially as I was titrating up, it was pretty sedating. I took it at night and fell asleep. Now, I'm not so sure; doesn't seem to have that effect anymore. Doesn't seem to be really activating either, but I also wonder now that it's so high if I might be better off dividing the dose.

My doctor says it really doesn't matter, just so long as you pick a time and stick to it. Seems like, from what I've read, it's really a matter of trial and error as to what works best for you. Gosh, none of us wants to end up crying over the death of our pet by late afternoon. (I'm so sorry, Ruby.)

Good luck, and please let us know what your doctor says.

revlow

I will concur that some people find Lamicatl activating, others find it sedating.

For me Lamictal is activating, and when I took it at night it kept me awake for several hours. Once I switched to taking it in the a.m. my sleep improved immediately.

A.M.

I'm taking it all at once here (though at a measly 350mg, not 400mg as you are ;-) ).

And, I take it all in the morning.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too activating to take at night (learned this the hard way through a couple nights of insomnia totalis and nocturnis sensations shockis hehehehehe.  YMMV though.

Archived