CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Dirkbebe

Issues with Lithium mixtures (Latuda)

Hey all,

First post here, so I'll get into it. I've been Diagnosed Bi Polar since a late teen. I've had some temporary relief, many doctors and some terrible effects from medication/episodes.

All in all at the moment I was released from the psych ward several months ago in NC, where i lived on my own for almost 6 years, while now being shipped back to my mom's in VA at age 27.

I am getting older and am being affected more and more with my Bi-Polar swings, severe anxiety, occasional sounds and negative voices and now anger. I'm seeing public health center now and they've kept me on Lithium and started me on now up to 80mg of Latuda and have cut me from my 0.5 Clonazapam... While in the hospital, they weened me off of my Effexor and Lamictal, which didnt seem to be helping and giving me mania. My Issue now is I miss the Mania, I've been severely depressed, anxious and angry. I am aware the move home and the whole situation of being uprooted of living on my own hasn't helped, but it's been months now and the Latuda has seemed to make these worse as they increased. I see my pdoc tomorrow to see, but wanted to hear some insight from some folks who have either shared my side effects or have had success on this combo. I just feel the Latuda is keeping me depressed and lethargic.

Thanks for the  support everyone

I'm on this combo too. It isn't really working for me either. I'm not sure if it has made me worse. Since being on Latuda, Parnate, Serax, TMS nd ECT over the last few months I don't have interest in or get pleasure from barely anything.

@mcjimjam glad to hear it's not just me. It's mainly just brought my depression on bad, which before i was having terrible Mania.

I see the pdoc tomorrow and have taken notes this time, so I can actually get my concerns heard. Will report back.

Thanks for the response

My personal opinion is that Lithium can cause the anhedonia, but pdocs generally don't seem to agree. I was on it for a year, and when I finally stopped it, my tdoc said she noticed a brightening in my mood and I seemed happier, even though consciously I wasn't aware of being any different. She said it was a marked difference and started pointing out things I was doing differently that I just didn't notice. Lithium had dulled me out and given me a flat affect too. Things weren't going well at the time, so I just chalked it up to life being difficult, but I wasn't really happy on Lithium either.

Just my own experience...

I should give lurasidone more credit because I was only taking it with lamotrigine when I was taking it. I was taking antidepressants alone for years after being misdiagnosed as MDD. By the time I started seeing a pdoc that recognized it for what it was I was taking 60mg of duloxetine and cycling hard. He dropped me to 30mg of it and added lamotrigine, but I was still depressed so I came off duloxetine and added in the lurasidone at 40mg. In retrospect, I wish I had been taking it with an antidepressant because since cycling through several antipsychotics without an antidepressant I've learned, despite my bipolar diagnosis, that an antidepressant is still a critical part of my cocktail as long as my mood is stable. Trintellix has been the best antidepressant that I've taken.

I personally though felt that lurasidone + lamotrigine was insufficient to treat my depression and left a lot to be desired when it came to irritability/agitation, mixed episodes. Lurasidone did nothing for mania. Only two meds that have touched that for me while still being tolerable were oxcarbazepine or valproate. I can never get to therapeutic doses of an antipsychotic for mania because I experience akathisia at very low thresholds. Anticonvulsants are important for getting me to the best baseline I can get to before closing the gab with brexpiprazole

valproate/vortioxetine/brexpiprazole/lisdexamfetamine is the best, most robust combination that I've ever taken.

Just to be contrary, I was on Latuda with lithium, and it's the best I've ever done other than when I went into remission. I had to stop it, because it was so expensive. I was on 80mg of Latuda, and 600mg of lithium with a .7-.9 blood level.

18 minutes ago, crtclms said:

Just to be contrary, I was on Latuda with lithium, and it's the best I've ever done other than when I went into remission. I had to stop it, because it was so expensive. I was on 80mg of Latuda, and 600mg of lithium with a .7-.9 blood level.

once i got to 40 mg it sucked

5 hours ago, browri said:

I should give lurasidone more credit because I was only taking it with lamotrigine when I was taking it. I was taking antidepressants alone for years after being misdiagnosed as MDD. By the time I started seeing a pdoc that recognized it for what it was I was taking 60mg of duloxetine and cycling hard. He dropped me to 30mg of it and added lamotrigine, but I was still depressed so I came off duloxetine and added in the lurasidone at 40mg. In retrospect, I wish I had been taking it with an antidepressant because since cycling through several antipsychotics without an antidepressant I've learned, despite my bipolar diagnosis, that an antidepressant is still a critical part of my cocktail as long as my mood is stable. Trintellix has been the best antidepressant that I've taken.

I personally though felt that lurasidone + lamotrigine was insufficient to treat my depression and left a lot to be desired when it came to irritability/agitation, mixed episodes. Lurasidone did nothing for mania. Only two meds that have touched that for me while still being tolerable were oxcarbazepine or valproate. I can never get to therapeutic doses of an antipsychotic for mania because I experience akathisia at very low thresholds. Anticonvulsants are important for getting me to the best baseline I can get to before closing the gab with brexpiprazole

valproate/vortioxetine/brexpiprazole/lisdexamfetamine is the best, most robust combination that I've ever taken.

it didnt touch my depression, irritability, anxiety either, the latuda

@mcjimjam I posted about ketamine have you ever heard of that for treatment resistant depression? 

@Dirkbebe I miss mania too sometimes...that's why I take a good amount of adderall, it's not the Same but it's a little bit of the rush 

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

@mcjimjam I posted about ketamine have you ever heard of that for treatment resistant depression? 

@Dirkbebe I miss mania too sometimes...that's why I take a good amount of adderall, it's not the Same but it's a little bit of the rush 

you take adderall bc u miss mania? PDOC agreed to that?

Well kinda but Not in those terms- it was  to give me more energy and maintain a good sleep/wake rhythm to fight depression...and helps with cloz drowsiness as an added bonus 

Well what @Iceberg is saying is understandable. When I asked my pdoc about amphetamines for issues with motivation and concentration, I don't know at this point if I was asking for the right reasons or if I was chasing mania, but Vyvanse has made all the difference in my cocktail and improves my condition immeasurably above and beyond what mood stabilizers or antidepressants can do. Also a good thing to consider is that comorbid bipolar/ADHD isn't that uncommon and can explain why people with bipolar disorder still seek stimulants when their mood is controlled.

5 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Well kinda but Not in those terms- it was  to give me more energy and maintain a good sleep/wake rhythm to fight depression...and helps with cloz drowsiness as an added bonus 

Ahh that sounds better

3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I'm not full ADHD but my neuropsych test determined I should be on stimulants 

Neuropsych test

35 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I'm not full ADHD but my neuropsych test determined I should be on stimulants 

32 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Ahh that sounds better

Neuropsych test

Yeah....neuropsych test? I'm curious @Iceberg