CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety about future feelings?

So this is a bit of an odd one. I don't have an anxiety disorder (at least not that I know of)...but lately I've been having anxiety....except it's not about a thing...or an event, so much, as what I'm going to *feel* at that time period.

Basically...there's something coming up...an event...this weekend. I'm not nervous about the event. It will be fun. I'm excited to be going.

I'm nervous about what I will feel during/after the event.

In similar situations (w/ regards to a certain person) I've felt irrationally jealous, depressed. The days after the event I've basically been the lowest possible I could be...mostly for unjustified reasons.

So I'm in a situation right now where I"m freaking out that that will happen again. Isn't that kind of weird? I'm worried that I will feel something or think something.

I don't know if anyone else has been like this...or has any suggestions...or something...it's worrying me.

So this is a bit of an odd one. I don't have an anxiety disorder (at least not that I know of)...but lately I've been having anxiety....except it's not about a thing...or an event, so much, as what I'm going to *feel* at that time period.

Basically...there's something coming up...an event...this weekend. I'm not nervous about the event. It will be fun. I'm excited to be going.

I'm nervous about what I will feel during/after the event.

In similar situations (w/ regards to a certain person) I've felt irrationally jealous, depressed. The days after the event I've basically been the lowest possible I could be...mostly for unjustified reasons.

So I'm in a situation right now where I"m freaking out that that will happen again. Isn't that kind of weird? I'm worried that I will feel something or think something.

I don't know if anyone else has been like this...or has any suggestions...or something...it's worrying me.

Well there is one thing I have learnt in life. There is no sense telling someone with an anxiety disorder not to worry ;)

Most people with anxiety suffer some degree of anticipatory anxiety - leading up to events.  I get this but personally what is worse for me is retrospective anxiety.  As I have OCD I tend to thoroughly go through the finer details of a good night and look at all the elements where I may have screwerd up etc.

I'd suggest keeping fairly busy prior to the event, with things you enjoy doing in your spare time.  Whether that be going for a walk, playing with animals, watching movies, playing computer games, spending time with loved ones; whatever makes you feel good.  Because no amount of anticipatory anxiety about the event or about your future feelings will help you. 

Yoga, meditation, Tai - Chi and bushwalking are really good ways to relax - especially when we wont let ourselves relax, as they force us to relax to a degree.

Anyway I wish you luck with this weekend. I will check this post again soon so reply if you want to talk about it, or perhaps drop into our IRC chat room.

Archived