CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Unburdened

Weight and Amitriptyline./Endep

Has anyone here who has a history of weight gain from antidepressants had success with a very low dose of Amitryptyline? I'm hoping 10mg will not cause weight gain. And I also hope 10mg won't cause sexual problems. Weight gain is something I'm terrified of after becoming huge on Zoloft.

I don't take amitriptyline regularly, just for sleep, but I take a range of 25-150 mg and I haven't gained weight for what that's worth.

Thank you. I didn't know you could only take it when required. I'm on it as part of my cocktail of ""antidepressants"". 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By argh
    • By Skeletor
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitriptyline
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortriptyline
      Both are quite similar, and that is no surprise, given that Notrtiptyline is Amitriptyline's major metabolite.
      When comparing both, we can ascertain the following: Amitriptyline has somewhat more SERT blocking going on, so might be slightly more "serotonergic" than Nortriptyline, although I am not quite sure if clinically relevant. Both are equally strong NRIs and 5HT2 antagonists. Amitriptyline is a stronger ALPHA1 blocker compared to Nortriptyline, so might cause more postural hypotension. Amitrptyline is a stronger antihistamine than Nortriptyline, so might cause more sedation and appetite. Amitriptyline is a stronger anticholinergic than Nortriptyline, so will probably cause more side effects. (Although stronger sedative and anticholinergic properties might be welcome, depending on the condition)
      What I am interested in: Who's been on both and how did they compare? (not only theoretically, but practically)
      binding affinities:

picture source: https://abload.de/img/nortgpk1f.png

• By HisHarleQuinn
      My fiance has been losing weight recently. He's down 20 lbs and is like 228 lbs now. I've gained weight, but it was also that time of the month. I kinda go after chubby dudes as is, and always worry if they weigh less than me I become unnattractive. His affection towards me hasn't really gone down, it's stayed the same really. I tell him my concerns of me gaining while he's losing, and he says he'll love me no matter what. And that he also doesn't want me skinnier, he just wants me to be happy. But, at the same time he thinks my best friend is too big, [she's considered a SSBBW i'm a BBW if anyone knows what those mean...] but he said the difference too is that if I got as big as her he loves me, not her. I just worry his eyes may start to wander to other girls who aren't as big, although he does prefer curvier women, and I do actually have curves, i'm just a bit chunky. I've got a big bust, wide hips, and a big lower half, plus an hourglass figure, but a bit of a tummy.... And lately I've been more anxious as well about losing him to the point of nightmares, although it seems that they're symbolizing to not worry and to trust him [I die in them, and regret leaving things "left unsaid" with him basically.] Also a gentle reminder, this is my first longest relationship [been almost 2 years now coming this fall, been engaged for a full year now, too as of june.], first engagement, and hopeful marriage in the next few years. He's been married twice. I'm hoping to get us in for a premarital counseling appt cause we've not been in awhile this coming week, also. 

I feel like I've just put him on this pedastal of perfect cause let's face it he IS WAY better than anyone else I've been with putting up with my anxiety attacks, insecurities, etc etc etc, and it's like I'm waiting for something bad to happen and I hate that I'm like that. And he tells me to stop thinking he's perfect too, cause he ain't but he is to me...
    • By mikl_pls
      Link: NIH rat study suggests amitriptyline temporarily inhibits the blood-brain barrier, allowing drugs to enter the brain
      "a provisional patent application has been filed for methods of co-administration of amitriptyline with central nervous system drugs."
      I can't help but wonder if amitriptyline will become a brand-name only drug once again or something, or if some generic drugs for these aforementioned CNS conditions will be paired with amitriptyline to form brand-name combination drugs and be pushed for profits.
      But still, this is a pretty neat discovery. Regardless of what happens with patents and whatnot, hopefully, amitriptyline and any generic drugs for any of these conditions will remain separate and generic so that they can just be prescribed separately and taken together to achieve the same potentiating effect as a 2-in-1 drug.
      I understand that research hasn't been done on humans, but I'm curious about what dose it would take for this to happen for humans. It doesn't mention the dose used for the rats, but I wonder if just a low dose could be used, like 10, 25, or 50 mg, or if it would take higher doses like 150-300 mg, or supratherapeutic doses above 300 mg?

• By lohmeier
      Hi, new here. I'm pretty sure my recent weight gain is due to Abilify. Mayo clinic calls it a 'more common' side effect and others say it causes weight loss. I have always been able to control my weight with diet and exercise, but no longer. It did bring me out of a deep depression, but I had just had two major surgeries with general anesthesia, so the depression may have been due to that. I'm thinking of cutting it down slowly. Anyone have major fat from Abiliy?