CrazyBoards.org

'Authority' Anxiety?

i've been trying to examine my own reactions to things, and i have concluded that my anxiety does a huuuuuge *spike* when i'm interacting with people in 'authority' (someone who has some control over a certain aspect of my life), especially when it's a situation where i feel intimidated and/or overly aware of my own reactions to those people.

anyone else relate?  is this totally abnormal?

Oh yes, me too.  A tdoc concluded it was stemming from severe childhood bullying in my case.  I can't endure aggressive personalities in a position of authority at all.  I become 7 years old again and want to run away as fast as I can when I encounter the office bully!

She also said it was pretty common.

Oh yes, me too.  A tdoc concluded it was stemming from severe childhood bullying in my case.  I can't endure aggressive personalities in a position of authority at all.  I become 7 years old again and want to run away as fast as I can when I encounter the office bully!

She also said it was pretty common.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um....YEAH!  I crumble like a leaf with people of authority.  Bosses, cops, anyone who I'm trying to make a good impression on, even my pdoc and sometimes even my therapist for god's sake.  Haven't found any amount of Xanax yet, that can fix that one......but then again, I hide from the pizza guy and any and all salesmen, so I'm probably hopeless.... ;)

Last semester I embarrased myself in front of a professor I needed to make a good impression on (and I really actually like the guy--he was perfectly nice). I was so nervous when I tried to talk to him my voice shook and I could feel my face flushing and my heart pounding. After I got out of his office I practically ran back to my building so I could burst into tears.

I've felt this way with most teachers (the ones I know don't threaten me are the easiest to deal with...), administrators all through high school, profs and my academic advisor, doctors (the most recent worst experience being with the psychiatrist I saw through my school's counseling center!) and even my therapist, too. Don't even get me started on cops. I become this shrinking, soft spoken, pathetic chick in the face of authority.

anyone else relate?  is this totally abnormal?

Not abnormal at all. I think this fits in a little better with Social Phobia (social anxiety, whatever you want to call it) than with Panic Disorder, but either way it isn't uncommon in people who suffer from these anxiety disorders.

It is important not to feel like you are less of a person or have some character flaw that makes you weak. There are treatment options. I know I sound like a commercial, but I promise I'm speaking from experience as someone who suffered some awful Social Phobia. I had the problem with authority figures, attractive women, large groups, sometimes just anyone.

My sophomore year of college was a nightmare, sheer terror. I fell into a deep depression and it still took me seven more years before I sought help. I truly believed it was me, that I was weak and unable to cope with normal life. Yet, now with paroxetine and clonazepam and therapy I really don't do that badly. So think about it if you haven't found treatment yet.

• 2 weeks later...

*raises hand*  I become an uber spazz of fear around authority,..which worked out great when I was one.  I was a juvie probation officer.  I was so scared that my authority would cause panic in someone else,..I refused to assert it.  LOL.  Didn't work out to well,..hence why I *used* to be one. 

I would even get scared and intimidated around my general peers when I worked in the criminal system.  Cops freak me out,..even when they were just trying to make small talk. 

I'm alright with authority as long as they're not trying to assert the authority.

The second they do that, immediate hostility follows.

This is because 90% of authority figures are no better than high school bullies. ;)

Archived