CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
madmax15

We didn't "Choose" to be like this!

I've been thinking did I "Choose" to be like this? Did I "choose" to be introverted and not mix with other people? Choose is a funny word! Is it a choice? I feel I've got no choice! I was trying to think of a better way to describe this but I can't! 

Its abit like saying "oh you chose to be in a bad relationship." But why would someone "choose" to be in a bad relationship? 

Or saying to someone "oh u chose to have a crap life and live miserable" but of course no one would "chose" to live like this?! 

Can anyone think of a better word or a better way to describe this?

Edited by madmax15

Here's the thing.

I may not have choosen to be this way (in fact, I didn't choose to be this way - it just happened). But I can choose whether or not I continue to live with way. And I DO NOT choose that.

I choose health. 

For me, that means therapy.

I agree with @WinterRosie. I did not choose depression.  I did not choose the victim role. It was a combination of genetics and some confusung early life experiences.  But here I am. The choice is: give up and stay this way  or get help in whatever form there is. (And let me be clear that I don't think it's easy to change but I  have seen that it's possible).

20 hours ago, amskray said:

I agree with @WinterRosie. I did not choose depression.  I did not choose the victim role. 

I totally agree! IF there was a choice, why on earth would we "choose" to be like this?!

I certainly didn't choose to have MI, and I don't believe anyone with MI chose to have it.....

People who don't have MI often do not understand what we go through just to make it through the day.

Some people without MI tell us to "snap out of it, be happy, don't worry so much"......I have had someone tell me that, and I told them, "If I could snap out of it, I would have already"......**SIGH**

IMO, the main problem is, that many times, MI is an "invisible disease", and most people with MI look pretty normal on the outside, so people who don't have it, will just never get what it means to struggle every day with your brain and your emotions.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Just because you didn't choose to live this way - that doesn't mean that you don't have choices now.

Just because you didn't have agency in the past that doesn't mean that you can't take control in the present. It might be harder, and you might need support. But it's possible.

• Like 1

I agree @WinterRosie,  people with MI do have choices...........I chose to seek treatment and help for my mental conditions, and am trying to deal with them the best I can..........

As of now, I am trying my best, with good support from pdoc and therapist.....But I still can't say I have control over over my MI, because I don't........But still, I am trying.