CrazyBoards.org

I sure everyone here has to deal with this bull, especially from family. The most annoying for me, back when I was living with family, If I would do even the slightest strange thing my mom would say "have you been taking your meds" aaaaaaahhhhhhhhgggggggghhhh I hate that phrase!   

wjrne.jpg

We feel you. The problem with stigma isn't just the lack of understanding and education about MI out there, but the stereotypes we have to deal with, and, it has to be said, the fact that we do sometimes behave in ways that are unpredictable and strange, even if they don't seem so to ourselves. Also, not everyone is meds-compliant. If you establish a track record of always, always taking your meds on-time and on-dose, and your folks know it, you're less likely to get these questions a) because it will be assumed, and b) because the meds will actually be working.

Of course, probably the best way to handle this situation is to (calmly) say, "Yes, I took my medication, and although I appreciate your concern for me, I would really like it if you wouldn't ask me that in the future. It makes me uncomfortable/hurts my feelings." Unless you in fact forgot to take your meds, in which case, say, "Oops! Thanks for the reminder!" and go take your meds, for pete's sake.

I come from a background where they disagree with medications. In fact, my parents say my medicine will permanently screw with my brain. They never ask this, but paramedics and police officers have. Also, whenever I self-harm and they're called to the scene the first question they ask is "are you bipolar or schizophrenic?" 

Psychosis has lost me longstanding friendships before, people who just couldn't deal with it and cold shouldered me. I've also been poorly treated in graduate school by staff who I made the mistake of divulging my condition to. That was humiliating. 

I think asking if someone has taken their meds can be annoying, but for the people around me it often comes from a place of worry and concern. I would rather my loved ones try to help and show concern, even if it's irritating at times.