CrazyBoards.org

Which AAP for "minor" disturbances....

I know Seroquel is supposed to be the "mildest" of the AAP's, but I don't want to gain weight (former ED psycho) and I also cannot afford to sleep more than 8 hours a night with my 9-5 job.  I don't have serious hallucinations, just the music in the background, hearing conversations, and shit I think I see out of the corner of my eye.  I've got paranoia issues that a ghost or "demon" type thing is going to appear when I'm in the shower, drying my hair, basically feeling vulnerable when I'm alone...  Also, the racing thoughts thing too...

Anyway, what would be another AAP to try for this??  I'd rather not go for something super heavy duty as it would be my first try with this class of drugs....

Just though I would wish you good luck in finding the right one.

I've just started this week on my first ap, 5 mg of abilify, so it's too early for me to know anything.

Actually, it's my second ap.  I took Seroquel for sleep once and then had an auto accident from being so sleepy the next afternoon.  So I dropped that like a hot potato. I was so lucky no one was hurt.  I shouldn't have been driving and knew that.  I behaved stupidly.

I've been on Seroquel and Zyprexa (and Thorazine, but that's a typical).

Seroquel isn't actually *that* bad for weight gain. I didn't gain anything on it, and I wasn't being overly careful about diet and exercise either. It also wasn't that sedating for me. It might be worth a try; I started on 50mg twice a day and found that only the first dose I ever took sedated me. After that, nothing.

Olanzapine on the other hand, whilst not in the least bit sedating for me, has resulted in weight gain- despite fairly careful diet and exercise I've put on a few pounds. Which isn;t that much of a deal really, it's just whether I'm going to continue going up. On the plus side, Zyprexa saved me from being sectioned (commited, whatever you like) and squashed my mania nicely. I still get hypomanic and a bit psychotic on it and still experience many of the symptoms you describe.

Ultimately it's just a trial and error thing.

Good luck with it.

Just though I would wish you good luck in finding the right one.

I've just started this week on my first ap, 5 mg of abilify, so it's too early for me to know anything.

Actually, it's my second ap.  I took Seroquel for sleep once and then had an auto accident from being so sleepy the next afternoon.  So I dropped that like a hot potato. I was so lucky no one was hurt.  I shouldn't have been driving and knew that.  I behaved stupidly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, well I'm so glad to hear nobody got hurt.  I know lots of people in here love seroquel but I also am scared of this kind of sedation.  I know this sounds really picky but I'm also a bit weary of Abilify because I think it might be too activating and trigger my shitty anxiety problems.... 

Anyone think maybe Risperdal or Geodon???

Personal stories are always appreciated....  ;)

Looks like it's seroquel for me and a bit more lamictal.  Ug, though I swear if I gain weight I'm quitting and asking for Risperdal...

Here's to hoping this stuff squashes the background music, thinking every car behind me is following me, & the monster thats going to burst through the door while I'm showering.  Sounds like an easy conclusion to make, but when pdoc called this paranoid thinking/behavior, a little light bulb came on because I honestly never thought about this as being that paranoid.  Doesn't everyone think they are being followed??? ;)   :)

Looks like it's seroquel for me and a bit more lamictal.  Ug, though I swear if I gain weight I'm quitting and asking for Risperdal...

Here's to hoping this stuff squashes the background music, thinking every car behind me is following me, & the monster thats going to burst through the door while I'm showering.  Sounds like an easy conclusion to make, but when pdoc called this paranoid thinking/behavior, a little light bulb came on because I honestly never thought about this as being that paranoid.  Doesn't everyone think they are being followed???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am taking Lamictal and Seroquel and I have not gained any weight. I don't know how much Seroquel you were Rx'd. I did not gain any weight on 400mg of Seroquel. However, a plus has been since I reduced Seroquel to 100mg, and still taking Lamictal 200mg, I have actually lost a pound or two without exercising.

Here's hoping the Seroquel squashes the backround music and paranoia. If someone thinks they are being followed, to me that equals one is being followed!

Erika

I am taking Lamictal and Seroquel and I have not gained any weight. I don't know how much Seroquel you were Rx'd. I did not gain any weight on 400mg of Seroquel. However, a plus has been since I reduced Seroquel to 100mg, and still taking Lamictal 200mg, I have actually lost a pound or two without exercising.

Here's hoping the Seroquel squashes the backround music and paranoia. If someone thinks they are being followed, to me that equals one is being followed!

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope I have this kind of luck with this drug 'cause I feel like a fatty as it is.  Thanks for the well wishes!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just incase you all are reading....started seroquel on Monday night.  I really hope this isn't the "new drug/new hope" effect, but man do I love this stuff!  Couldn't tell you yet whether or not it squelches my voices or music or paranoia.....but my anxiety is SO much better!  Good lord, this is cool... I didn't figure this as an effect.  I'll let you know whether or not I hear the "conversations" ;)

Archived