CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
StarCrazy

Mood lamps FTW

Ive been taking anti psychotics for ten years and throughout it Ive had horrible issues with sleep and struggled to wake up at any regular "human" time. So much so I have not been in college or work throughout those ten years.
I'd take my meds around 10/11/12(PM) and wake up around 1/2/3(PM). 11 hour sleeps are probably the minimum. 14 wasnt that weird a thing. In winter time this becomes even more of a problem because I am not seeing sunlight.

I've tried all sorts of things to combat this sleep problem: 
A deaf persons alarm 
A light alarm (which was definitely helpful but didn't fix the problem)
Drinking copious amounts of water before bed 
Depriving myself of caffeine/chocolate/alcohol/(life itself) for a couple of weeks 
Not using TV/PC/phones in the evening

And of course the classic: "why don't you just take the drug at 8PM and then you could wake up in the morning". (Yes and why don't I just kill myself while I am at it. All my friends are working adults and I will happily take shitty lifestyle over never having the ability to meet up with friends. I did try it for one summer and it just upset me leaving get-togethers and events before they barely got started. I would say it made me feel suicidal. I may as well be walking around with "lunatic" printed on my forehead. Add to that I do music in a band and often don't get home until 10PM so Id have to give up my passion too.)

Recently I got a mood lamp (for Christmas), it shines all kinds of colours and varying degrees of brightness. For the last week as soon as I go to bed I turn the lights off and the lamp on to a dim orange/red and keep it on until I wake up in the morning. I have to say every day I am waking up early. No more 3PM starts. No more 1PM starts. I wake up when I set my alarm. Often even earlier. Its so weird. Its like its erased the problem absolutely. I also actually feel tired in the night and that I want to go to bed so I can sleep.

Now it could definitely be complete fluke. Also I have considered the fact that I may have just reduced the quality of sleep I am getting, thus waking up to my light alarm more easily.
I will definitely make sure to post an update in 2 weeks time, and perhaps another 2 weeks beyond that to see how things progress.
If it does stay like this I will be writing to my mental health services and telling them that the need to be prescribing this to people who have sleep problems induced by anti psychotics
At the moment has literally changed my life and I cant emphasise that enough. I wish I got one ten years ago when I first started taking anti psychotics.

Edited by StarCrazy

Oh please, could you provide the brand name of this mood lamp? My husband has a horrible time with anything even resembling a "normal" schedule, sounds much like you, especially waking very late. He's depressed as is, but has a lifetime history of sleep problems. 

Please do update, thank you in advance. And yay, I hope this isn't a fluke for you!

Yes please share the type of lamp you bought. After reading this earlier today I tried searching on Amazon and was a bit over-whelmed. 

Hey. Glad to see some interest in my thread. I didn't want to put the name in case it looked like a shill trying to flog them.
I went for one of these : Philips 'Living Colors' Iris. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-LivingColors-Changing-Integrated-Control/dp/B008B4DCB6/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1516123389&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+iris

There are a few Philips mood lamps that are sold for a cheaper price than the Iris. But as well as being inferior lights with less colours and brightness settings. They also require: 
(1) a device (sold desperately) called 'a bridge' to allow access to the lamp's settings and
(2) a smart phone that is compatible with the Philips bridge app.

If you want to have more than one (which I doubt you really need or will use) then its better to go for the bridge.
I went for the slightly more expensive one because it works out cheaper and you get a remote with it which is just more practical.
And also who knows how long that app and smart phones will be in use for.  Remember ipod docking stations? They were all the rage for a while but who uses them now?
Having physical buttons press is just better IMO. Even more so in bed. So yeah, go for the Iris and dont be duped. (Theres really not much info on the Amazon UK store saying "Separate product and use of smart phone is required to use this product" which there really should be)

There's definitely going to be cheaper brands out there but sometimes spending a little extra is worth it. The phrase 'buy nice or buy twice' comes to mind.

Mine's still doing a great job for me. And as I mentioned before I'm surprised light therapy has never been suggested by my mental health services.
I looked very briefly into the science behind it and the basic idea was that blue light tells your brain that its midday. Red light tells your brain that its sunset/night.

Red lights are also suggested for people with sleep issues as a way of controlling melatonin (a  chemical that helps you sleep).
But if you're on anti psychotics its very difficult to get any kind of diagnosis for a sleep problem as the med's are seen as a strong influence on your sleep cycle. And diagnosing and treating a sleep problem is too difficult to do accurately while you're on anti psychotic medication (or at least that's how it went down whenever I tried to talk to doctor or psychiatrist about it). My personal theory is that I probably do have an issue with melatonin. But I can see the point of view of the psychiatrist too.

Edited by StarCrazy
  • Thanks 1

Actually it looks like there is a slightly cheaper Philips one with a remote called 'Aura' 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-LivingColors-Changing-Integrated-Control/dp/B008B4DC84/ref=sr_1_5?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1516123389&sr=1-5&keywords=philips+iris

As for buying multiple - you really wont need to get more than one. Even if your room was massive, you could just position it at the edge of your bed. They go very bright.
I can see why they are trying to make an 'eco system' of slightly different lights, but I don't think its needed for the consumer at all.

Thank you so much! I’ll look into that for husband.

And, had to laugh, I have an iPod docking station in my kitchen, I like music while I cook :blush:

Haha. Sorry about that. I didnt mean to be insulting. I just remember a phase where everyone wanted one. I think we had 4 different devices in our house with them. Now days none of us use ipods and we've moved on to bluetooth speakers, or just a nice old reliable aux jack :)

So the last 5 days haven't been very good for me in terms of sleep. Not terrible but not the improved time I was having.
I think I have to put my sorted sleep down to exercise. During the first week of January I was walking the dog (about 30 mins of brisk walking) nearly every day, and using an exercise bike every other day. 

I think the red light helps me actually sleep. But as for energy levels and sleeping less hours - I think its the exercise that sorts it out and not the red light.