CrazyBoards.org

Music In The Background

I've read from at least a couple people who talk about always having music in their head as a symptom. I thought this was normal, because I've constantly had music in my head ever since high school or college and I'm now 41. And by constantly I really mean constantly. When I wake up in the middle of the night that music is playing. I'm constantly chattering my teeth to music. Usually it's just there like tinnitus (sp?) but sometimes when there's music I don't like it bothers me.

Is this really that abnormal or something to tell my doctor about? If so what is it a sign of? (Other than being crazy which is obvious.)

I sorta have this problem as well.  Then again, I'm a musically-oriented person, so I'm told this isn't uncommon in the non-MI audiophile community.  I actually get this phenomenon very strongly when falling asleep and falling awake (a sort of hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucation?).

That said (I believe Maddy said something about having the following issue, a long time ago?), I tend to hear (mainly interpreting it as people talking, though sometimes it's music)  almost anything in the background, especially washers/driers, my car's engine (when the music is off), and from random cars/other objects passing by outside an open window in my house.

Music here too.  I almost always have a song stuck in my head.  I'm also a music oriented person.  Out of no where I just start singing a random song - don't know where it came from or why I'm singing it.  And then when I'm suffering from insomnia, one of the reasons is I can't stop a song from going over and over in my head.  That part is not as bad as it used to be since the medication is better, but there is always music - very similar to herrfous.

Several years ago I heard music.  I first noticed it when I was falling asleep.  Sometimes it was music, sometimes it was people murmuring, like a busy, fancy restaurant.  I labled it the "French Restaurant".  Sometimes I would hear people call my name so clearly and loudly that I would get up and look for the person.  Eventually the music became a constant thing.  Sometimes I would even dance to it. 

I've heard lots of people tell similar stories.  In my case, I think it was a sign of terrible lonliness that had become depression.  Sometimes today I can still hear the music as I fall asleep, but I have to try.  I think hearing music isn't really a symptom of anything in itself, but if it bothers you then definately tell your doc.  Maybe you are just eccentric, not crazy.  ;)

hey,

i know what you mean. i told my pdoc about it and he looked at me like i was crazy or lying. very disheartening. when i woke up, it started going again in my head. i was about to scream. i still have the humming of music in my head, but not as bad as before. going up in my lamictal helped. matt

Heya lemonflavor,

Always.

And often music/commercial jingles I would like to *go away.*

I dunno if this is wacked or obsessive or normal or what.

Not in the DSM anyways.

Annoying though.

Esp when DH sings a little song that from then on is in my head until I either sing it out loud, all the way through, or hear another sticky song.

--ncc--

Heya,

I'm being followed by a moon-shadow.  Moon-shadow, moon-shadow.

Skippin and hoppin on a moon-shasow.  Moon-shadow, moon-shadow.

I'd heard it before.

And again as a theme to a teen's pictorial depiction of bipolar.

--ncc--

Tell your doc.  I haven't told mine, so I'm a scardy, but a bunch of times I hear music in the background...

Try not to worry, you see how many of us experience this.....are you on an antipsychotic???  Might help to squelch this experience.....

\

Tell your doc.  I haven't told mine, so I'm a scardy, but a bunch of times I hear music in the background...

Try not to worry, you see how many of us experience this.....are you on an antipsychotic???  Might help to squelch this experience.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, .5 of Risperdal hasn't helped this at all or other bipolar issues. I imagine my doctor will have me go up to 1mg. Zyprexa may have quieted my mind a little but that was a terrible drug for me.

I have BP1 w/psychotic symptoms. One of my symptoms is the music. Another is seeing things out of the corners of my eyes that aren't there, and sometimes animals that run across the room that aren't there (at least, I hope I do not have racoons in my apartment!).

fun times. I hear music periodically, when I'm going super-extra crazy. If you've heard it constantly from high school to 41, well, you've probably come to accept it as "normal". I see you're on an atypical and the music is still there, that's interesting. I didn't tell my doc because I didn't predict any gain from telling him. I think if I heard intelligible voices I would want to stop them, otherwise it's just part of the ride.

This is not the same thing, but:  I love music and it's been my only escape when I'm suicidally down.  however, sometimes, like many people, I get a song stuck in my head.  Now if isn't something I just heard (like in a store) and I don't know where it came from, I l*isten* to the lyrics.  I read it in Omni years ago that there is a connection to what's going on in your subconscious. 

For example, last week at work, the tune "Father Christmas" by the Kinks came into my brain and I couldn't shake it despite the music playing in the lounge.  Where the fuck did that come from?  So I examined the lyrics and this chorus struck me..."Father Christmas, give us some money, we'll beat you up if you make us annoyed..." and as I am a waitress, it suddenly made sense.  i find it always does.

Archived