CrazyBoards.org

I have been taking my meds like I am supposed to and they do help. But for some reason, the only thing that really does the trick right now is coffee. It ups my mood, makes depression go away. It makes fatigue go away. I read a study that found that bipolar patients that drank coffee had a decreased chance of suicide compared to those that dont drink coffee. Why does coffee make me feel so good but other people it just gives them more energy? I'm ordering a mug off amazon that says "RX: Coffee." Thought it would be fitting,

• Like 1

I also find caffeine to be a really big help. It stimulates and motivates, plus coffee just tastes good. I actually find that, especially with hot coffee, it somehow manages to be both stimulating and relaxing.  Maybe it's a placebo effect?  I don't know.  I do know that coffee, since you can somewhat control your dose, is more predictable and fast acting than most prescription psych meds.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2018 at 10:24 PM, Rabbity9 said:

I actually find that, especially with hot coffee, it somehow manages to be both stimulating and relaxing.  

I'm the same way. I think it's a combination of hot coffee being comforting and, for me, the slight stimulant boost helps me feel less overwhelmed and to process my thoughts more rationally, which helps with both anxiety and depression. If I'm manic though, coffee, while making me feel great, is bad news since it feeds the excess energy and allows me to function on even less sleep. 

I agree, apart from the stimulant I'm on, coffee has always been my go-to mood enhancer.

I've been drinking coffee everyday since the age of 18, half my life. I know it works on dopamine, and sometimes I wonder if somehow I screwed up my natural dopamine pathways/mechanism by drinking coffee every single day for so long? I usually only have 3 cups so it could be worse...and there are some benefits I've read about. but when you get used to drinking more throughout the entire day, it does lead to increased irritability, dehydration, headaches, sleep issues, increased heartbeat, and physical/psychological dependence.

7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I agree, apart from the stimulant I'm on, coffee has always been my go-to mood enhancer.

I've been drinking coffee everyday since the age of 18, half my life. I know it works on dopamine, and sometimes I wonder if somehow I screwed up my natural dopamine pathways/mechanism by drinking coffee every single day for so long? I usually only have 3 cups so it could be worse...and there are some benefits I've read about. but when you get used to drinking more throughout the entire day, it does lead to increased irritability, dehydration, headaches, sleep issues, increased heartbeat, and physical/psychological dependence.

Actually, the idea that coffee dehydrates you is a myth: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3886980/. Depending on your typical coffee consumption it may not rehydrate you as effectively as water,  the amount of fluid in coffee is larger than the fluid loss from its diuretic effect.

20 hours ago, thunder said:

Actually, the idea that coffee dehydrates you is a myth: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3886980/. Depending on your typical coffee consumption it may not rehydrate you as effectively as water,  the amount of fluid in coffee is larger than the fluid loss from its diuretic effect.

Interesting! I did not know this. Most articles I read say to drink more water, especially before exercising & reduce coffee consumption because it's a diuretic..

This is not quite the same, but when I'm having a bad headache, drinking red bull makes me feel better (not the migraine, but all the other types of discomfort associated with hit). I can't stand the taste of coffee. But anyway, I kind of think of my bipolar illness and my migraines as being intertwined, so that helping the migraine really helps the bipolar, even if only a little. This is completely anecdotal, and my uneducated interpretation of what is going on.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:37 PM, saintalto said:

Except for when I’m really psychotic, in which case I can’t have any, coffee keeps me functioning. I drink it all day and I know it’s not good for me doing that, but honestly I don’t care. 

I can't have coffee when psychotic either. The last time I tried that I ended up grandiose and irrational.

But coffee really boosts my mood, as well. It makes me happy. I thought it did that for everyone. 

I don't know if I should try to speak for everyone, but most of the people I know drink it for energy. It's addictive, so that may play a role too, you immediately feel better when you start drinking it. I had to wean off of 16 cups of coffee a day once, gah. So keep an eye on how much you are drinking.

2 minutes ago, crtclms said:

I don't know if I should try to speak for everyone, but most of the people I know drink it for energy. It's addictive, so that may play a role too, you immediately feel better when you start drinking it. I had to wean off of 16 cups of coffee a day once, gah. So keep an eye on how much you are drinking.

16 cups of coffee a day??? Holy crap. You must have been bleeding caffeine. I can barely handle two cups. 

I often will drink one energy drink a day whether it’s coffee or something else. That usually does me pretty well and for the most part keeps me sane. However, I have sent my self into pretty intense swings of mania and hypomania from trying to drink to many caffeinated drinks in one sitting.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, crtclms said:

This is not quite the same, but when I'm having a bad headache, drinking red bull makes me feel better (not the migraine, but all the other types of discomfort associated with hit). I can't stand the taste of coffee. But anyway, I kind of think of my bipolar illness and my migraines as being intertwined, so that helping the migraine really helps the bipolar, even if only a little. This is completely anecdotal, and my uneducated interpretation of what is going on.

I agree with the coffee to help headaches, it does for me.  Usually that's my first remedy before I reach for any pain reliever, try coffee for caffeine and water to hydrate first. 

Migraines are such all-body things, I wonder if there is a link between the migraine and my moods too.  I don't know if they are necessarily intertwined as much as the one can influence the other.  Migraines can trigger moods, and usually when in depression I walk around in a perpetual headache.  Which I really dislike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By troop111
      Hi,
      Have any of you had or have read of gabapentin being of use as an adjunctive therapy for people with treatment resistant depression/anxiety/bipolar?
      I have been doing research and some sources say it helps, others say there is no strong clinical proof. I think a lot of the conflicting reports I have seen has to do with it simply not being studied en mass.
      Any advice/experiences regarding this? If so, what was your dosing?
      Thank you!
      troop
    • By lauraishere
    • By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

• By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!
    • By Aeiou62
      I need some energy, some motivation, some good manic voodoo. Why cant i have that without losing my damn fool mind.?
      Hasnt anyone looked at that? Why must I be either lazy and lethargic or 90mph? Im always tired, always fatigued. I need to know how to get my mojo going WITHOUT my kookoo taging along every time. I cant believe nobody has studied this.