CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Byron-Black

Dealing With Wife Going Out With Friends

As is common in BPD, I have a major fear of abandonment. It used to be worse than it is. When I was left alone, I used to scream and cry and cut myself and generally be horrifically miserable. Now, I don't do any of that, but I'm still afraid she's just not going to come back. I want to text her, but I don't want to be so needy. 

How do you reassure yourself? I've been married for 18 years, I know my wife isn't leaving me, but I can't stop being afraid and wanting to be reassured.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you have an agreement with her where you can get the reassurance that you need?

For instance, when I need reassurance but don't want to be intrusive I text my partner a pre-determined symbol, and he sends me one back to show me that I'm still cared about. He also makes sure to let me know when he's leaving and when he's due back. Between the three I always have a recent reminder of his return on my phone, and I can look to that to reassure me.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WinterRosie said:

Do you have an agreement with her where you can get the reassurance that you need?

For instance, when I need reassurance but don't want to be intrusive I text my partner a pre-determined symbol, and he sends me one back to show me that I'm still cared about. He also makes sure to let me know when he's leaving and when he's due back. Between the three I always have a recent reminder of his return on my phone, and I can look to that to reassure me.

We don't have that, but that's a great idea. I will talk to her about doing something like that. She always tries to let me know when she's going to come back, but certain events, like her "ladies' night" with friend end at variable times, so she's not sure.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I find the most helpful method for me with abandonment symptoms is 'check the facts'. Reminding myself and even making a list of 'evidence' why the person isn't going to abandon me, why they don't hate me, why it's good what they're doing (even though I still deserve care, it's okay if they're not always around). It's a really good way to build up some self management skills but to begin with you could involve her.
Sometimes easier to do before the abandonment feelings come on, so maybe do them while she's home. When you feel cared about, that you can refer back to when you're struggling.
In your case it might be things like 'she has always come home before', 'we've been married for 18 years', 'she hasn't given me a reason to think she won't come home', list something/s nice she's done recently that made you feel like she cares.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2018 at 5:36 AM, Remnants said:

I find the most helpful method for me with abandonment symptoms is 'check the facts'. Reminding myself and even making a list of 'evidence' why the person isn't going to abandon me, why they don't hate me, why it's good what they're doing (even though I still deserve care, it's okay if they're not always around). It's a really good way to build up some self management skills but to begin with you could involve her.
Sometimes easier to do before the abandonment feelings come on, so maybe do them while she's home. When you feel cared about, that you can refer back to when you're struggling.
In your case it might be things like 'she has always come home before', 'we've been married for 18 years', 'she hasn't given me a reason to think she won't come home', list something/s nice she's done recently that made you feel like she cares.

This is great advice. I will work on it. Thank you.

• Like 1

I suffer from BPD, and I also like, LOVE attention, especially from my fiance. He goes out once a week on one of his days off to go game with his friends at their house. When we first got together, I hated it. Still kinda do, I wasn't worried he wouldn't come back, but I had a bad habit of being up his ass while he was gone. It annoyed everyone there, because the do Dungeons and Dragons gaming, and have a no phones policy essentially. 

I'm becoming to be like, this is my night to keep house more than I do when he's at work. Do dishes, clean the bathroom, take care of the cat's stuff if needed, stuff like that.[I also hate cleaning while he's home. He gets in the way, LOL] It's my "me time". I'm trying to look at the positive side of things. I'm fairly clingy when I'm in a relationship, I've been screwed before, and he knows it. I've essentially gotten to where I've "weaned myself off" basically. 

It took a lot of lecturing me, and telling me that he needed a night to himself, for his me time, with his friends. All couples need space, it's not abnormal, at all.  Seeing as my fiance is also Bipolar and currently unmedicated, it's a bit of a good thing sometimes. If we're arguing, we NEED that space. And we get a night of it at least. 

You should try to look at the positive side if possible, and ask her if there's something ya'll can come to agree on. I would text/call my fiance constantly while he was gone. Then maybe every hour. Every few hours. Twice a night. Once a night. None. Unless it really couldn't wait until morning, although I have times where I'm super bored and might text, or think something's important and it really isn't. If I'm feeling anxious/depressed/don't feel well, then I'll text. If I want him to come home early, he usually does. But, another thing is, she can't allow you to beg her to come home, or enable you to feel so down/negative.

I know my issue isn't as bad/big as yours, because I'm not self harming, but I'm giving my own experiences here. Couples do need their space, even if you think that is just ya'll going to work, or whatever, sometimes more space is needed. Socializing with peers is normal, and healthy. I don't have many friends myself, and so I find other things to do if the chores of the house get done while he's gone. Or I think, "I have the ENTIRE bed to myself! Weeeeeeeeee nap time!" Or I have me time and take a bubble bath, especially if my anxiety is tipping me off.

Find some healthy coping methods, and activities to do while she is gone. Is there a movie or TV show you like, but she can't stand? Watch it. What about some music she doesn't like? Listen to it! She can't say anything if she isn't there! And part of me time is enjoying activities your partner may not like, but you do. I know I watch some of my shows/chick flicks while he's gone, too. We usually try doing things together when he is home, and awake. He works nights. You don't have to take her being gone as negative, turn it into a positive. Think of all the things you can do while she isn't home. My fiance likes singing in the shower, LOUDLY, I however, cannot stand it. Sing in the shower at the top of your lungs, dance around the living room naked or in your underwear. Just have fun, it doesn't have to be anything outlandish, but let loose.

• Like 1

These replies are full of great advice. There is an upcoming Saturday when my SO is volunteering and it will take up most of the morning and afternoon. I decided to use that time to do something she said she would love to do with me, but I know she would get bored in 20 min. So I am taking a road trip for that day! That way I can experience it, not be rushed or made to feel bad that she is bored, and when we get back home that night we will have stories to share. WIN WIN! 

• Like 1

And all my life I thought that I'm just too posessive and jelous. It caused a lot of problems in our relationship, as my husband is very social person and he loves to have a lot of friends around him. It's such a relief to know it's not just me to have that kind of feelings and it might be connected with my mental problems. He tries to work on it by encouriging me to go out with girls myself without him. But whenever I do I still think what he's doing alone at home and I text him often.

I found a lot of good advice here and need to share them with him. Thanks!